hanshab

flood select tool not working in APhoto 1.6

the flood select tool when applied as new or add only changes the tolerance when you drag it over the area you wish to select.  Nothing else happens.  The tolerance goes to 100%. I dont believe this should happen.  . While it  erroneously increases the tolerance it does Not actually select anything... Also when you uncheck contiguous it still does not select the noncontiguous areas. Please repair.

The selection brush tool also does not seem to select anything anymore  much of the time and when it does only where the brush actually passed over

HI hanshab

dragging the tool to change the tolerance is intended for the flood select. you only need to click to select with this tool instead of dragging it as it's a tolerance based on the pixel you selected. As you drag you should thee the selection grow and shrink with the tolerance tough.

For the selection brush it sounds like you might have it set to subtract mode on the context toolbar. is this the case?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

i have spent a LOT of time trying to do what the guy is showing in the "making selections" tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Pvc_Pl0wY) but it just doesn't work! He shows that we select the flood select tool, then click on a part of the image that you want to flood select (and drag left or right to decrease/increase the tolerance). IT JUST DOESN'T WORK. :( :( :( 

When I click on the part of the image i want selected, it just ignores this and instead selects the entire image (the image's rectangular perimeter). When I then click+drag left or right, nothing happens. 

Late 2016 touchbar macbook pro (if that's related to the problem)

Am I doing something wrong, or should I select some kind of setting or something that's not mentioned in the above tutorial?

Ad, by the way, does AP have some kind of support line so we customers can call and get real-time support? (this post has already taken WAY too much time to write, let alone waiting for it to be approved by a moderator, and then waiting for a written reply - if I get one..)

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 21.26.22.png

Hi henryb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
It is selecting the whole image because you have an empty pixel layer selected in the Layers panel (no colour variation/data). If you select the second layer (counting from bottom) for example it should work correctly. Image layers (like the first layer on your document counting from bottom again) must be converted to pixel layers before you can use this (and other pixel based tools) on them. To do it right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. You can then use the Flood Select Tool with it as well.

Image layers (look at the label after the layer's name in the Layers panel) are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type which you can then manipulate at a pixel level.

There's no phone/call line based support. The forums are the main support resource and are monitored directly by Affinity staff (including the developers). Your first thread/post only needs to be approved once (to avoid spammers).You can then post freely without the need for approval.

ok thanks - I was just worried that it would take over a day to get a (first) reply to a query, and possibly a week if follow-up questions would ensue to get a solution to anything. Phonecalls & especially screen-sharing with an expert is obviously the best way to give and get support, but given that you just don't provide this (:() your reply was quite fast, I must admit :) 

I didn't know that i had to rasterize the initial (base) image/photo in order for the flood select tool to recognize the different "areas" of the photo (it wasn't mentioned in the tutorial video I linked). But, of course, it makes sense - the initial photo must be converted to pixel layers in order for AP to be able to see the similar pixels that it should "group" (select) together. :P

So, if I understood correctly, the correct process would be: 1. Rasterize the base image, 2. Create another pixel layer ON TOP of the rasterized base image (now saved as pixel info), 3. On this new pixel layer I can now use the Flood Select Tool. Right?

If yes, please explain:

1. I rasterized the main image, and was then able to use the Flood Select Tool on THIS, first (now rasterized), layer. But when I tried adding a new pixel layer right on top on the 1st layer, I was not able to use the Flood Select Tool on this 2nd layer to affect the 1st layer's final output. Why not? (I thought that I shouldn't really be touching the original image at all and that any changes should be done on layers above the 1st layer. Right?

2. If the Flood Select Tool doesn't accurately select all the areas I want selected, can I drag its automatically selected borders myself (manually) so that I can select the areas I want to edit together? If yes, how do I drag them? (In the attached screenshot you can see what happened to the Flood Select Tool's auto area-selections when I increased the tolerance.. :( My objective was to select the 3 tablecloths of the 3 tables to equally reduce the saturation, so I selected the first table and gradually increased the tolerance to get the others too. Instead it started to select tree areas and didn't even cover the entire tablecloths of the first 2 tables :( :( I guess that it's not that accurate in its selective process (it's not a human being lol) - so maybe there's a better way to do things like this (maybe a different tool?) instead of via the Flood Select Tool??

3. How can I make multiple area flood selections? So when I'm happy with the selection accuracy of the 1st area, I can SAVE this final pixel-selection (so that it's not lost even after a shutdown), and then move on to the next area? My objective is to end up with different areas selected on the image and to be able to apply adjustments to all at the same time (but not to risk losing my, perfectly made, selections at any point during the process). Can this be done?

4. In the Mac Photos app, you can use Shift+CMD+C, and Shift+CMD+V, to copy and paste adjustments from one image to another. This saves us a tremendous amount of time when we need to edit multiple (similar) images; and when they all have the same adjustments applied to them, we can then tweak any image separately later on as needed. Can you do this in AP too? How about from one selected area to another, within the same image?

5. Last (and slightly irrelevant to this topic): How do I close the project window and start a new one when I'm done with one photo (WITHOUT closing the AP app)? Lame question, I know, but I can't seem to find how this is done so I end up closing the app to start anew! :( And when I press CMD+N to create a new project window over the current one (as I haven't figured out how to close the first one..), it throws in this annoying & unwanted white canvas in the middle of the project window! :( :( Isn't there a way to make a new project window WITHOUT the white canvas (just like is done when the app is first opened)?

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 01.47.33.png

21 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
It is selecting the whole image because you have an empty pixel layer selected in the Layers panel (no colour variation/data). If you select the second layer (counting from bottom) for example it should work correctly. Image layers (like the first layer on your document counting from bottom again) must be converted to pixel layers before you can use this (and other pixel based tools) on them. To do it right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. You can then use the Flood Select Tool with it as well.

Image layers (look at the label after the layer's name in the Layers panel) are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type which you can then manipulate at a pixel level.

There's no phone/call line based support. The forums are the main support resource and are monitored directly by Affinity staff (including the developers). Your first thread/post only needs to be approved once (to avoid spammers).You can then post freely without the need for approval.

I didn't know that i had to rasterize the initial (base) image/photo in order for the flood select tool to recognize the different "areas" of the photo (it wasn't mentioned in the tutorial video I linked). But, of course, it makes sense - the initial photo must be converted to pixel layers in order for AP to be able to see the similar pixels that it should "group" (select) together. :P

So, if I understood correctly, the correct process would be: 1. Rasterize the base image, 2. Create another pixel layer ON TOP of the rasterized base image (now saved as pixel info), 3. On this new pixel layer I can now use the Flood Select Tool. Right?

If yes, please explain:

1. I rasterized the main image, and was then able to use the Flood Select Tool on THIS, first (now rasterized), layer. But when I tried adding a new pixel layer right on top on the 1st layer, I was not able to use the Flood Select Tool on this 2nd layer to affect the 1st layer's final output. Why not? (I thought that I shouldn't really be touching the original image at all and that any changes should be done on layers above the 1st layer. Right?

2. If the Flood Select Tool doesn't accurately select all the areas I want selected, can I drag its automatically selected borders myself (manually) so that I can select the areas I want to edit together? If yes, how do I drag them? (In the attached screenshot you can see what happened to the Flood Select Tool's auto area-selections when I increased the tolerance.. :( My objective was to select the 3 tablecloths of the 3 tables to equally reduce the saturation, so I selected the first table and gradually increased the tolerance to get the others too. Instead it started to select tree areas and didn't even cover the entire tablecloths of the first 2 tables :( :( I guess that it's not that accurate in its selective process (it's not a human being lol) - so maybe there's a better way to do things like this (maybe a different tool?) instead of via the Flood Select Tool??

3. How can I make multiple area flood selections? So when I'm happy with the selection accuracy of the 1st area, I can SAVE this final pixel-selection (so that it's not lost even after a shutdown), and then move on to the next area? My objective is to end up with different areas selected on the image and to be able to apply adjustments to all at the same time (but not to risk losing my, perfectly made, selections at any point during the process). Can this be done?

4. In the Mac Photos app, you can use Shift+CMD+C, and Shift+CMD+V, to copy and paste adjustments from one image to another. This saves us a tremendous amount of time when we need to edit multiple (similar) images; and when they all have the same adjustments applied to them, we can then tweak any image separately later on as needed. Can you do this in AP too? How about from one selected area to another, within the same image?

5. Last (and slightly irrelevant to this topic): How do I close the project window and start a new one when I'm done with one photo (WITHOUT closing the AP app)? Lame question, I know, but I can't seem to find how this is done so I end up closing the app to start anew! :( And when I press CMD+N to create a new project window over the current one (as I haven't figured out how to close the first one..), it throws in this annoying & unwanted white canvas in the middle of the project window! :( :( Isn't there a way to make a new project window WITHOUT the white canvas (just like is done when the app is first opened)?

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 01.47.33.png