Sign in to follow this  
Henry Stahle

Raw developing shadows grey out

I read a Swedish photo mag review on Affinity Photo. The Raw development was compared to the one in Adobe Raw. In a heavily underexposed photo the shadows are greyed out if turning the exposure and shadows compensation up. I examined in Adobe Camera Raw as well as in Canon Digital Photo Pro. I took this well under exposed photo in my kitchen to get an extreme contrast. I used the same methods in all three raw editors. Just turning up the exposure compensation and shadows compensation. Adobe Camera Raw is quick easy to handle with best result, DPP not far behind.

Affinity Photo's result was awful as you can see, it still can not handle my Canon file correctly (CR2 from my favourite pocket camera GX7 Mk II); resulting in heavy vignetting and no lens correction while using wide angle. 

Too bad. (Sometimes I really miss Photoshop.)

A fix coming for these issues? 

testing.jpg

Ouch! That’s pretty bad. :(

It’s interesting that ACR seems to do better than Canon’s own DPP.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I've also found Affinity RAW management inadequate. I currenly use DxO as a front end. It would be helpful to see a serious review of all the current editors that provide RAW editing. eg. Adobe, Affinity, ON1, Luminar, AfterShot. Even the free RawTherapee.

Affinity is by far my favourite layer editor. It will be great when it also overtakes the rest in front-end processing.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast Photo with i7-3770 + 16Gb RAM + Philips 40in 4K; Surface Pro 4 i5

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

21 minutes ago, Henry Stahle said:

A fix coming for these issues?

Hi Henry, try the latest Beta .96, where the Shadows an Highlights Recovery is improved.

And let us know about your experiences with the new beta....

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎09 at 0:16 PM, IndigoMoon said:

Hi Henry, try the latest Beta .96, where the Shadows an Highlights Recovery is improved.

And let us know about your experiences with the new beta....

This is done in the new beta .96. Some improvement I guess, but far from ACR. This photo exposure is extreme and really puts the RAW converter on test. Since Affinity is in a Photoshop competition, this must be improved!

The Affinity Photo file is the left one. I tuned the exposure compensation all the way up in AP and also a little shadow fill, this was the best result I got.

In ACR there are a lot more steps and exactness to use when developing the file, the result is also much more vibrant and has more contrast. 

two.jpg