Sign in to follow this  
Radu F

White lines in EPS files

Hello,

Congratulations for your good work on Affinity Designer and Photo!

I have received an EPS file from a client of mine, which was bought from a stock photo website (I can't provide the file for test).

When I open the file in Illustrator, everything is ok. When I open it in AD, there are a lot of white lines which surrounds every little element of the design. I have found this similar topic on the forum. You can find there a picture with the same problem as mine, but without any solution.

There is any way to get rid of these white lines?

Thanks!

Radu

Hi Radu F,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I haven't checked the file from that topic but seems the shading was created using a gradient mesh in Illustrator which the EPS format doesn't support natively. Adobe Illustrator is able to open them as fully editable files because it embeds Ai (proprietary) data in the EPS file which is what it uses when it loads the files again (that's the reason why stock sites require Adobe Illustrator EPS compatible files). Third party programs like Affinity Designer only have access to the standard EPS data and as such are limited to what this formats supports natively (so no transparency, blend modes or any advanced features you find in modern formats today).

I have the same  problem. The untitled.jpg is one exported  from Affinity Designer latest Version. The other one is what I received with the EPS format/file.

This being said, it's a real issue and up to Affinity Technical sides to look into this  matter.

Happy New Year 2020

Untitled.jpg

532.jpg

MEB, I have read your explanations. Is there anything that can be done to solve this issue?  From Illustrator > Export to psd format. BUT Affinity Designer does not seem  to open psd with all the layers and editable texts.

Thank you for providing  some tips.

Hi Newsline,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Regarding the thin lines shown on the Affinity exported jpg, one way to work around the issue is creating a rectangle with the same size of the image and the same colour as the background (that dark 
blue) and place it on the bottom of the layer stack. This will prevent the white from the canvas from bleeding through the dark blue parts since it's now covered by the rectangle you created. The thin white lines inside the letters are possibly fixed using the coverage map control which you can access clicking the cog icon on the top right of the Layers panel then clicking the Coverage Map button in the dialog that will appear. Select the shapes on the letters that are near the white edges, click the Coverage Map control as explained above and drag the point on the left of the graph vertically to the top (so both left and right points are on top). 

Without seeing/inspecting the original file it's difficult to give more accurate advice.

Regarding the PSD import, make sure you have Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap in the General section in Affinity Designer Preferences so the text is imported as editable text layers.