VectorVonDoom

Playing with polygons, Grant Wood American Gothic 1930

13 posts in this topic

It's nothing clever and the polygon fad might have passed but it was fun to do.  Most use a very low polygon count and just something like a face but I like to make it more complicated for myself, not necessarily better though. I had already done a version but wasn't happy with it so this is my new attempt.

A tip is to duplicate the layer(s) and perhaps add a tiny bit of blur to the background copies. That fills in the minute gaps between the shapes and the output's much nicer.

Click on it then click "full size" and it's not so blurry.

Grant Wood, American Gothic 1930.jpg

Screenshot.png

Marc

Absolutely wonderful work. At first I thought you had just attached the original. Amazing.

Not all paintings work, you need fairly defined edges for a start. Quite a few of the old masters work well though for example Vermeer and probably the favourite one I've done is by Caravaggio. Once you do a whole painting or scene it's not a quick hour or two play though but I like it that way.

Marc

Bravo!

And the Caravaggio?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

I'd say the Caravaggio is technically somewhat better. Grant Wood's work tends to be very simplified, and regular, while Caracaggio uses very dramatic coloration, and the forms are not simplified at all.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

The Grant Wood's one was quite a bit of work because of the background but the people themselves weren't too bad. Deciding how to simplify the dress and dungarees were probably the trickiest bit of those.  I started by thinking I'd simplify the Caravaggio but couldn't too much.

Anyway it's a fun thing that anyone can do even if it's on a smaller scale or properly low poly. But now I've done a handful that's enough for me.

Marc

Excellent work. Seems like a nice way to learn AD. I got stuck using AD, but I might try this one time. Can you point out some tutorials or explain how you achieved this? 

There are quite a few on youtube, search for low poly or low polygon tutorial. They'll be aimed at illustrator but work for AD too as long as they don't use live paint (as there's no such thing in AD). Do something simple first, like a face. Pick a decent sized photo and one that's sharp and a bit contrasty.

Marc