You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Freddie360, 

It shouldn't disappear unless it's crossing the artboard's boundaries. In that case only the part laying inside the artboard will be visible. If you drag the object completely to outside the artboard it should be visible. This is by design. Currently there's no option to change this behaviour.

5 hours ago, Freddie360 said:

I may be doing this AD artboard >page> pasteboard> all wrong, see attachment and my link to actions I have been having trouble with.

Not sure about the linked problems but the attachment is showing what MEB mentioned: the text object crosses the left boundary of the artboard, so only the part that is within the boundary of the artboard is visible. If you drag it completely off the artboard, all of it should be visible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Freddie360,

That's because you aren't using any artboards at all on that document. You are using a non-artboard based document with a single canvas. In that case to make all objects visible, go to menu View ▸ View Mode and un-tick Clip to Canvas.

To create an artboard based document, you can either go to menu File ▸ New and tick the Create artboard checkbox almost on the top of the New Document dialog (below the Units dropdown) or use the Artboard Tool to draw an Artboard directly on the pasteboard area or insert it with the size specified in the dropdown in the context toolbar clicking on the respective button on the right of the dropdown. In both cases a new artboard layer will appear in the Layers panel - you can identify them looking at the label between parenthesis after the artboard layer name (by default Artboard 1, 2, 3 etc) which should say Artboard. See screenshot below.

Non-artboard based document - it only has a single canvas (no artboard type layers in the layers panel):

5a2a6f260bfe7_non_artboarddocument_singlecanvas.png.9af03786a8ecf5c6b6c8706cfe59054d.png

Artboard based document with one artboard (you can add more if you want). Note the Artboard layer highlighted in the Layers panel:

5a2a6fcf861cd_artboardbaseddocumentwithoneartboard.png.9c2e6e4fed6b6492c85f570b74659585.png

MEB -  Thanks for the fix, I am obviously having difficulties with the AD canvas, artboard, pasteboard concept. As I said earlier I am trialling AD so as to move away from Adobe Illustrator, so can you suggest some video tutorials that I may better understand the AD artboard concept.