Harry82

Nik disapears

18 posts in this topic

I Got Affinity photo for a couple of months now, without any problem. There is only a problem with the Nik-software. It disapear every couple of days. Re-installing without any problem but a few days later is gone again. Any solution?

Hi Harry82,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you mean it doesn't appear in the Filters menu again? I never experienced this here. The only way to get it removed from the Filter's menu is if you reset the app (Clear User Defaults). In that case you only need to set it up again in the Photoshop Plugin section (in Affinity Photo Preferences). No need to reinstall the Nik Collection again. Have you reset Affinity recently?

Thanks for your reply MEB. You understood me correctly. It disappear from my filtermenu. The only way to get it back is clearing the settings /pressing the CRTL button when starting it up en cleaning my setting en reinstalling it.

It's the opposite. It disappears from the Filters menu if you keep resetting Affinity Photo pressing CTRL when you launch it. When you do this the plugin config is deleted from the Affinity Photo settings thus the Filter disappears from the menu. Don't reset the app. Install the Nik Collection once (if it's not already installed) then configure the Photoshop Plugins section in the Affinity Preferences. The plugin will be kept there as long as you DON'T reset the app. LEt me know if you have trouble configuring the Photoshop Plugins settings in Affinity Photo.

The plugin disappears en THEN a'm starting up with CTRL. its the only way to get into the preferences again. I Can' t adept the preferences when the NIK plugin has disappeart.

That' s right. Nik is disappearing from my filters. When I am trying to re- installing it, I can't reach my preferences. The only way to solve this is to start up with CTRL pressed. To clean it all and then I can reach the preferences again to re -install NIK. I am sorry if I'm confusing you. I did't have installed other pluggins.

I have been using Nik Coll since it became free and appreciate it . The sad news is that Google sold it to DXO which intends to make an update next year: I'd be surprised if it would still be for free. I have been told that DXO intends to include Nik Coll. in photoshop and LR as a "free" plugin. No doubt that DXO will attempt to "push" its new baby to users of other brands of software. I personally have no intent to drop AP for this sole reason, of course.. Has AP any plans ? I had to reinstall Nik Collection last week -due to a stupid error of mine I think- and got a message saying that AP had to stop. I finally  managed to reinstall N coll after several attempts, including  a total "cleaning". Anything to do with Harry82's problem ?  Regards.

Is there Any posibility it has to do with the last update? I can't remember I got this problem before.

Hi Harry82 and MEB, this hypothesis is valuable, like others I guess. My experience: when you have such a problem (which has happened more than often in my case), take your time to uninstall everything that has something to do with its source. As far as I can remember, when AP crashed after my attempt to reinstall Nik collection, everything was going fine until I received a message about some password (?) in which the letters "DXO" appeared briefly before AP crashed. This went fast, I know I am no wizzard and english is not my native language, but I didn't get the message...I couldn't help though to make a link between this new event and the fact DXO is involved in that deal between Google and Nik collection...Or is it pure paranoia ? Or pure coincidence ? Looking forward to learn the outcome...hopefully ! Best regards, Guy.

Is there any possibility to return to the earlier version of AF? It is almost impossible to re-install NIK every day. I"m using it semi-professional and it takes every dag a lot of time and energy and causes a lot of irritation.

1 hour ago, Harry82 said:

Is there any possibility to return to the earlier version of AF? It is almost impossible to re-install NIK every day. I"m using it semi-professional and it takes every dag a lot of time and energy and causes a lot of irritation.

I am no wizard but here are my suggestions: uninstall Nik again and hunt for any remnants of previous installation(s) which might interfere with the latest: it happens! Install from the original Google site (no mention of DXO), following the excellent official YouTube AP Tuto "Installing Nik Collection" (3 min 31, 21 Feb 2017) which worked perfectly with me for the reinstallation(Windows 10 pro, 64 bits). Do not have any link with DXO (registration, forum or questions...). I have the latest Windows version of AP and it works perfectly. I don't think you should keep an old version for this sole reason and I trust Serif will find a solution if there is a link between AP 1.6.1.93 and Nik. MEB is probably the best link with Serif in the mean time. Ideally, Nik coll should remain available and updated (not at an "Adobe price !!!) in the future... Keep me informed.            Best regards.

Thnx for your answer Gpzt. I'm a litte desparate. I did all your suggestions. I Unstalled Nik and Installed is again. There are no links with DXO , I followed exact the instruction video. I am just using a Imac instead of Windows.

One shouldn't get desperate for that reason. There are are quite a few instances when things work with Windows and not Mac, and vice versa. I have no experience with Mac though. Did you tell MEB that you were on Mac? Now, which tool in Nik do you use mainly ? If B-W is your essential concern, there is  a free tool in Topaz studio which gives pretty good results, and some official tutorials can be found in AP. After all, you might give a try to the previous edition of AP in order to see if nik works any better ! You might also check if your version of Nik works with a windows setting on a friend's computer. If  I get any worthwhile tip, I'll let you know. Cheers.

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue after updating to the latest affinity photo 1.6.6 and the latest version macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. Some of the nik plugins simply disappeared and after dragging the app from the application folder to trash and trying to reinstall affinity photo now I simply cannot access my preferences since its crashes the app right away.

My photo editing is pretty much at a stand still without the nik plugins working.

I've attached a snapshot of the report it generates.

Thanks,

-Nishit

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 11.26.06 PM.png