You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand stroke / Excessive amount of nodes

I recently noticed that expanding a stroke results in quite a bit of nodes defining the curvature. I'm wondering if this behavior is intentional or am I doing something wrong? To me, the resulting curvature looks smooth but one'd assume less nodes would be needed for rendering basic circle alike shapes. I realize this may be a redundant inquiry but as I've grown to rely on expanded strokes quite heavily, it'd be good to know if I'm performing the expansion properly and not just making a mess of things.

StrokeExpandExample.png

No bug, but not really acceptable results. The Affinity team is concious about the necessity to re-engineer this feature, but hadn‘t actually the time to do this.

If you search this forum for „expand strike“, you‘ find tons of threads concerning this issue.

I see. I hope they've made it a high priority since it's such a core feature. Somewhere I saw a post claiming it also affects the smoothness of the curvature at small sizes and can be somewhat remedied by scaling the shape up considerably prior to expanding. I have to do more experimenting to see how much of a problem it really is but it does inject the kind of uncertainty into you I'd rather not deal with while trying to concentrate on the artwork itself.

Well, at the very least it's something you should be aware of that if you don't expand your strokes prior to exporting to a non-native format, you're going to end up with a massive amount of nodes. And even if you do, your geometry is still not optimal. Can only image what happens if your work is comprised of a lot of small, complex strokes.

The worst case scenario is, your only option is to manually redraw the shapes on top of your original strokes. It's truly a sad state of affairs if this is the case.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.