You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been setting the white and black points in my photos using either the Histogram or Curves layers but noticed some (Photoshop) tutorials discussing using the Threshold Layer to do the same thing, but more objectively. Unfortunately the Photoshop tutorials do not seem to translate to AP as I can not find a Levels Tool (as compared to the Levels Layer) and the corresponding eyedroppers in AP. Given that I was wondering if anyone could point me to an AP tutorial on using the Threshold Layer as I have not been able to find one anywhere. A Google search for "Threshold tutorial, Affinity Photo" leads me to lots of AP tutorials, but none concerning use of the Threshold Layer.

Thank you. That was very helpful.

I did not see what the Threshold Layer adjustment actually was used for, although I was wondering if it could somehow be used to create a customizable luminosity mask, and that is one of the reasons I asked the question.

The PS tutorial was a text tutorial, not a video. The link is here.

I had been trying to see what the purpose of the Threshold Layer was as I could not see a good use for it, at least for me. When I did a Google search I found that tutorial and, although it was about a more objective way to set the white and black  points on the Levels Layer, it gave me some insight into at least one purpose of the Threshold Layer.

The video you pointed me to was very helpful; not for the Threshold Layer (that was mostly curiosity), but for something much more important to me - how to refine selection masks. One of the things I have struggled with has been the ability to properly mask out a sky when portions of it are poking through shrubs and tree limbs, and I had always had trouble making a proper selection without also including the leaves. That vimeo tutorial reminded me of the refine tool and, more importantly, showed me how to use other layers to improve the making. I will give that a try, so thank you very much.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.