You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide is broken or what?

Affinity Designer doesn't have a Knife Tool yet. It's on the roadmap for version 1.x, but meanwhile you can work around the limitation by dividing with a closed shape which completely overlaps the area that you want to separate:

AD_Knife-workaround.png.27d282a66f365898a7daf492d45593c6.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, voitek said:

Then you have to expand stroke on the dividing curve, as I said before. You just have to set a minimal stroke on the curve first.

Dude I did it already, it's not the same result. When dividing on AI it's like a knife, there is no gape between 2 shapes.. see my video again min  0:30

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Affinity Designer doesn't have a Knife Tool yet. It's on the roadmap for version 1.x, but meanwhile you can work around the limitation by dividing with a closed shape which completely overlaps the area that you want to separate:

AD_Knife-workaround.png.27d282a66f365898a7daf492d45593c6.png

Yeah, That's what I did when I found out there is no way to cut the shape in 2 as on AI. One circle 0.1 pt Stroke, but still not the same result as "knife" tool
I hope it's gonna be added to Affinity Designer soon
Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Mosseab Chakrani said:

Dude I did it already, it's not the same result. When dividing on AI it's like a knife, there is no gape between 2 shapes.. see my video again min  0:30

Did you even watch the video I posted? Just set the curves stroke to 0,1.

33 minutes ago, Mosseab Chakrani said:

Yeah, That's what I did when I found out there is no way to cut the shape in 2 as on AI. One circle 0.1 pt Stroke, but still not the same result as "knife" tool
I hope it's gonna be added to Affinity Designer soon
Thanks 

I didn't actually apply a stroke at all. For the right-hand half of my screenshot I introduced gaps so that you could see the pieces; in hindsight, I should have stuck with my original idea of changing the fills or the opacity. Apologies for the confusion!

Alfred spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I didn't actually apply a stroke at all. For the right-hand half of my screenshot I introduced gaps so that you could see the pieces; in hindsight, I should have stuck with my original idea of changing the fills or the opacity. Apologies for the confusion!

I see.. What've tested is only 0,1pt stroke, no fill.

1 hour ago, Mosseab Chakrani said:

I see.. What've tested is only 0,1pt stroke, no fill.

You can even do it with no stroke and no fill, but that does make it quite hard to see. :P

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.