You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Split long text into separate text boxes?

Can this be done? 

I'm pasting a long text into a text box but want make a 3 column layout thus i need it to be split into three separate text boxes.

Right now i'm doing this the old fashioned way - manually by copying and pasting what doesn't fit in a text box to the other boxes...

chers!

• 5 years later...

... we are now in 2022 with version 2.0 of Affinity Publisher.  

I have 80 short paragraphs in a .txt file that would like to paste into AffPub or AffDes and have each paragraph in its own text frame.

Can this be done?

I wasn't able to work out how. 

MacBook Pro, Retina, mid-2015, macOS Monteray, RAM: 16 GB, CPU Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz. Monitor: 27" (3840 × 2160) DELL U2723QE 

1 hour ago, GuyMiklos said:

I have 80 short paragraphs in a .txt file that would like to paste into AffPub or AffDes and have each paragraph in its own text frame.

Hmm, I don't think pasting/importing paragraphs from one text file and then as several text frames is actually supported somehow. - If you would have said instead, as several seperated artistic text lines, I could imagine some solution via using SVG text imports here, but definitely not as text frames. Since text frames aren't supported via SVG v1.1 and Affinity itself writes out/generates/exports it's text frames as single text lines to SVG.

As an example, the following SVG text line definitions, when opened/imported into an Affinity app, will give you 8 seperate artistic text line boxes ...

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    <text x="20"  y="20">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr,</text>
    <text x="20"  y="40">sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat,</text>
    <text x="20"  y="60">sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.</text> 
    <text x="20"  y="80">Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.</text> 
    <text x="20"  y="100">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore</text> 
    <text x="20"  y="120">et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.</text> 
    <text x="20"  y="140">Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.</text>
    <text x="20"  y="180" >Example SVG text</text>
</svg>

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, GuyMiklos said:

It depends how you want the frames arranged. For instance APub (V1):

1 frame per page:

• Create a text frame (about the size for the longest paragraph).
  • Place the entire text.
  • With the Find & Replace panel replace every paragraph break with a frame break.
  • Click the right text flow triangle with the shift key pressed.
  • It will create the required number of new pages, each with 1 text frame with 1 paragraph.

Flexible number of frames:

• Create the layout of 80 text frames as you like them.
  • Paste the text in the first frame.
  • With the Find & Replace panel replace every paragraph break with a frame break.
  • Click the text flow triangle for the 79 desired text flows.

You can combine this two workflows, for instance for a layout of 4 linked text frames per page + get the required 19 pages created automatically.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1