You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am trying to clip a brick texture to a logo in affinity designer. I looked up how to do it in affinity as its different than photoshop. I place the photo of brick on top of logo layer and here's what happens-pictures of before and after below. The texture goes away completely and thumbnail is white so I'm not sure what to do. Thank you!

-Emily 

1.png

2.png

Thank you! I turned blending mode back to normal; when I drag it over and blue bar appears after I let go, it goes under as background as yours did but just shows white and no texture like before. I tried making logo text layer, shape layer, and pixel layer and everytime still shows up as below, with no change to logo. Any ideas? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 5.39.58 PM.png

Hi, emilytironi!

When you dragged the background image over the layer, it seems you put it in the position that made it a layer mask. That happens when the icon gets placed just to the right of the layer icon. You need to drag the image layer icon just below and to the right of the parent layer. You will see a high lite bar appear when the layer is in the right position for nesting.

This is a nuance of how the AD interface works. One must be careful of how the icons in the layer panels are dragged around.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

If the letters are on a transparent background, you can achieve the desired result by dragging the text thumbnail in the Layers panel and dropping it onto the bricks thumbnail. When you do this correctly, you'll see a vertical blue line immediately to the right of the thumbnail before you release the mouse button.

If the background of the text layer is white, you can make it transparent via the Blend Options dialog. Select the text layer in the Layers panel and click on the Blend Ranges gearwheel. In the dialog that pops up, drag the right-hand end of the Source Layer Ranges graph all the way down; this will make the entire image semi-transparent. Now drag the left-hand end across until the text becomes solid, so that you can no longer see the lines of the brickwork. After closing the dialog, drag and drop as described above.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, emilytironi said:

I figured it out; just had to layer regular one on the bottom and use textured ones blending mode on top.

I was just about to suggest doing it the other way around, putting the textured one on the bottom and the regular text on top with a blending mode applied!

9 minutes ago, emilytironi said:

How do I keep stroke of box proportional when scale it? Thanks

When setting the properties of the stroke, put a tick in the 'Scale with object' checkbox.

Alfred spacer.png

7 hours ago, emilytironi said:

I want it to look like below but in vector form.

Don't use any blend modes.

Group the text and vector object (Arrange > Group)

grouped.png.cf5d4e82a2fa4b65fd54a98ebaaec7d4.png

Put the bricks layer at the bottom.

rc.png.8478f413a13e5f3932b6d01004993b9c.png

Right click the group layer and choose Mask to Below.

mb.png.b744ccede167276be10627c6804db5f9.png

You get this

bricked.jpg.48a679043c516b19832339c4c35bd308.jpg

BTW HDVB fotographie did show this above but using a slightly different method, 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 07/12/2017 at 8:22 AM, toltec said:

Don't use any blend modes.

I don’t see how you can achieve the brick-textured red and blue text without using any blend modes.

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...