You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom Tablet for AD - which suitable for those (See sample)

Hello,

tonight my girlfriend give me a huge surprise and I am astonished about what she has made with the program Sketches Pro on her iPhone 6S. She draw with her fingers this Crocodile (not the first sketch she has done on her phone). As a new user to Affinity Photo - I thought it should be a good idea to get Affinity Designer for her so she might be able to make better drawings. 

So I am also thinking to get her a good Tablet beside AF and I have read a lot of posts from @SrPx for Wacom Tablets. I would like to choose a medium sized one but I do find in Amazon a lot of different one and I am not sure which one is really suitable for her. Wacom Intuos 3D or Art or Comic or Draw or Photo. I would say mainly her purpose will be doing some kind of sketches / drawing as below. Of course I might use it also for AP additionally if possible - but the main intention is for her.

Thanks for your feedback which is highly appreciated.

Schnappi klein.PNG

There are few differences among these Wacom Intuos models, namely that the Draw model doesn't support multi-touch in contrast to the other models which do here. - Technically in terms of hardware those Comic, Art, Photo, 3D models are identical, meaning these all support pen (2048 pressure ratings) & multi-touch, have 4 express keys etc. they just differ by available hardware color and the supplied third party software they come with here.

So if you want a medium size tablet which supports both pen & multi-touch usage you can select one of those Comic, Art, Photo, 3D models, since they just differ by the supplied and packaged together third party drawing software and thus maybe their price. - Note: that the Wacom Win/Mac tablet driver will also be the same for these models and here really just the given packaged software add-ons and those you can additionally download for these by Wacom makes a difference here!

On the Wacom website you can check and select certain models for comparison in order to see the differences on the bundled software here!

Related to the Affinity products, these should usually work with both AD and AP on either OS.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@v_kyr - thanks a lot for your additional input you have provided here. I am currently reading about the Intuos Tablet from Wacom - Size M and try to see more about also the accessory and add-on what is available. Of course when see the price difference here in Hong Kong between the Intuos M and Intuos Pro M - let's see if the better one is worth the double price here.

Well the Intuos Pro M is in contrast to the entry Intuos M models of course more expensive, since it supports 4x the pressure sensitivity levels (thus has 8192 pressure sensitivity levels), has 8 express keys, a touch ring, offers also direct build-in bluetooth wireless capabilities and better pens. The bundled and downloadable software for the Pro models is also more extensive.

However, it's finally a matter of price versus comfort and needs here, since they will (or should) work all here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Yes that is true. A matter of the price and the needs and comfort. I do read also some people complain for the Intuos Pro that the Tips of the pen are quickly used up as the surface seems quite rough and need another one. I will show my girlfriend the Intuos M (Comic or Art) and Intuos Pro M later with some more information. We might also take a look and have a try too for what she prefer.

Yip it's always a good idea to involve her into the decision making and thus to let her first see and try out the devices. So she can see with which one she feels overall more comfortable and at home here! - Related to the pen nibs it also depends on individual overall usage, applied pressure, wear etc. There are also a bunch of third party nibs available and the adventures one can make her/his own here too.

Thank you very much for your hints and ideas. After I have explained and show her the different Wacom Tablets she might even prefer the Intuos Pro Paper version. The reason why she prefer this one - well see below the drawings she send to me as a surprise. She made them more than 10 years ago and keep in her Drawing Book which she find last night.

Cutie1.jpg

Cutie2.jpg

So it's time for her to (re)draw these nice drawings also digitaly, with a good tablet and tools like Affinity Designer, Krita and the like! ;)

On 6/12/2017 at 5:39 AM, CutieN said:

Yes that is true. A matter of the price and the needs and comfort. I do read also some people complain for the Intuos Pro that the Tips of the pen are quickly used up as the surface seems quite rough and need another one. I will show my girlfriend the Intuos M (Comic or Art) and Intuos Pro M later with some more information. We might also take a look and have a try too for what she prefer.

Sorry, due to work overload (lotsa drawings) , have been unable to attend the forums in any way. The forum software warns me when am being mentioned, tho, hehe. 

My bet for it would be same than yours, if budget allows : Intuos Pro Paper, all the way. Specially thought for inking, And for manga (btw, the first drawing of those two mangas is specially good :) ) is ALL about accuracy and control over the lines. 'Paper' allows her to draw like with a cintiq, for what is the line art. Even better, as has not the parallax effect of a Cintiq !, which (cintiqs or pen-displays in general, and way more, regular intuos/pro) has its learning curve. Yet tho, disclaimer here, I have NOT had my hands on Paper, yet (but have, for long, with Cintiq, Intuos Pro (old models) and iPad Pro). But have seen a lot of videos of how this Paper new thing behaves, seems quite accurate and more seamless of a transition for your girlfriend coming from traditional inking/penciling. The coloring part is a tad easier task, can be done digitally very easily (indeed, even with an small intuos, that part. Reason why some ppl just do the pencils and ink in paper (meaning regular paper), scan, clean and fix the scan, coloring and finishing digitally). My advice is all the way with Wacom Intuos Pro Paper, if u can afford it. But if not, what is important is the tablet's size. An intuos 'Small' for this task is not sth I'd never EVER recommend (unless planned to do all inking in paper). Medium size as a bare minimum, be it Intuos or Intuos Pro. The gap in performance, comfort, control (very specially) between a Intuos medium and a Small, is the largest one. Still, my golden purchase for illustration, when budget allows, is not a cintiq (although there's nothing better than a 27 QHD, for now. that's the best of the best, for now, for drawing and illustrating) but an Intuos Large Pro paper (also, easier to replace a 500-700 bucks device than a 2k + one ! If breaks out of warranty). Large size tho, can be huge for a regular small computer desktop, the working space, those that a lot of people have, which almost only have space for the  mouse and keyboard. Of course, this is not the set  up for a pro illustrator, nor even an advanced hobbyist. And also, found out that some ppl really hate bulky devices (this is because they don't know, and some never will, how much more useful some of those bigger things are) and can't really stand a large tablet.

So, the Intuos Pro Medium Paper has a bit of every need covered. For accurate line work, which would normally require a Intuos Pro Large (I have the XL which is a ton bigger han the L (65 cm wide...)), but important notice, even a large needs stabilization ! (unless she's an inking genius in digital (i can ink no jitter, 100% accracy in traditional! ))  , she can always use the Paper function to ink as with regular pen and paper, and as that's about ~ A4 or letter size, gives enough space to work a usual drawing (you can mount larger canvases later by composition, digitally). So, the Paper function kindda compensates not being a Large model for better accuracy. Reason why if wouldn't opt for the Paper edition, I'd then recommend more heavily in that case the Large over the medium (while I always consider the L Paper the best purchase in the entire wacom gamma, if not giving the jump to a cintiq 27qhd or newer future 32"  (and depending on each one ergonomics preferences.... I personally prefer the intuos large ! But leaving it clear: Is faster to work with that sweet thing , the 27qhd. I prefer to work with my screen at a major distance, and see my drawing in a vertical monitor ) ) .

Consider anyway, that the Paper has a trap. It needs special ink refills, only provided by Wacom! , and those a re NOT cheap. I see it a bit as the golden inkjet tremendous business (or cash milking) . The business is surely in the ink! and your money loss through the time. I say "could", as it depends a lot on how fast those refills last or get dry. I dunno, sadly I don't have yet a Paper model (friggin' bills...) at home. Still, I believe it could be great for serious inking.  it could be a constant money hole, or might be just fine even for a pro illustrator if each refill last a lot.  Just leaving this issue with a question  mark...

If the ink refills is a concern, as she is doing manga line art, I'd totally recommend at least the no Paper, LARGE (L) model (of course, cheaper). We can't be sure about if she'd handle just fine with a medium intuos (Pro or not, is not that important among those two) but using line stabilization (Affinity has it, and a bunch other apps), which is another take at it. I use line stabilization a lot, and is a great thing. Still, once you draw more and more, you find your self reducing the strength setting of stabilization, as you get used to do firm lines with a wacom (is very different: She might have an amazing line in traditional and not in digitally. Tell her NEVER worrry about it, that this is normal, is just that the technology IS NOT YET THERE. It took my time to realize it wasn't me.). Still, even with today's tablets, long lines, specially accurate subtle long curves, if to be precise, they still quite require a high value of stabilization.

This software trick can be used with any model and brand ! (provided the drawing app has a proper implementation of it). Even so, the better the hardware, the better experience. Software only tries to improve the situation: better if has less to improve ;) . If she gets a Large Pro Paper model, she'll be able to draw quite well, imo (but from traditional drawing, it has quite more learning curve an intuos than a pen-display, cintiq or alternative. These are WAY more natural. ). Even if at some point (with large or medium ) she stops using the paper function due to not willing to be purchasing refills from time to time. Still then she has not thrown the money away (only a bit of it), a regular great Large Wacom.  Can ink her mangas very well with only a bit of line stabilization. I mean, these Paper models do come with two type of pens, sets of nibs and refills in case of the Paper Pen. You can mount it to ink, or not , at every moment.You can even buy the paper version and only use its Paper capabilities from time to time, using it mostly as a regular Intuos Pro Large.

And again, with quite some line stabilization ON (in Affinity Photo or any software allowing line stabilization) , an Intuos Pro Medium non Paper edition can do the deal as well. Actually, provided she finds herself able to do the task with this software feature, in that case even an Intuos non Pro could do. Just remember that going to Small size is the not-cool thing to do here. I tend to recommend that if that tiny is the budget, then go for a medium size of another brand (even some called "small" in other brands are huge, just check the active area in specs ! ), there's a very nice offer in Amazon, can't remember the brand.. Star 03 or Star 06 were the model names (yep, these are XP-PEN models, Star 03 and the more modern Star 06 ). If the price approaches a Wacom Intuos (non Pro!) medium, then it'd be silly to purchase any other brand (even XP-PEN. Wacom is really ...quality. And durability. ), as there are very important matters in why battery-less Wacom pens are much, much better choice. is just that a Small size tablet, for inking, is close to useless, unless a ton of stabilization is used. Still, is great for mere photo retouching (as the only use). but is not the theme in this thread... ;) . Would be just fine too for pixel art.

Summarizing, and considering her work, and the use I imagine she'd be after , clever purchases, depending on money to be used, the budget (in ascending order), in bold letter, what I consider golden purchases:

- The Star 03 or 06 (30 bucks of a difference) from XP-PEN. (non affiliate links included above)

- Wacom Intuos medium (the touch or non touch feature, as well as the wireless matter is of zero importance for me, so allow me not to consider it on my list... ;) . I respect other ppl's opinions about it.) . This is a golden purchase for most people.  Has a bit for every need, for evey use has at least a "workable" path (even if harder), even a pro illustrator, with proper software stabilziation can do pro work with it ! highly sustainable in the freelancer bills, as is only 170  bucks or so --> EASY to replace at any moment !  

- Wacom Intuos Pro Medium Paper (Not listing the regular PRO medium, as you'll notice. Is fine, too, but in real world, not super huge difference with non Pro at this size)

- Wacom Intuos Pro Large (a lot of accuracy by default, is significantly cheaper than its paper model. A pity that she wouldn't get to try the Paper function ! )

- Wacom Intuos Large Paper (as said, my golden purchase, even for my self ! ) .This is a very top solution. Regular Large is already, but this one could provide the line accuracy that you'd only get with a cintiq (and who knows if more), for quite less money ! . If only gap noticed/suffered is line accuracy. (cintiqs... the quality offered by a 27 QHD provides as well with a professional calibrated monitor, of very high value !  Golden purchase if you don't have a pro monitor, as if so, really the tablet price would only be 1k bucks, as is avoiding the purchase of an expensive monitor (mine is equivalent and is around 800k, or that was the price in its day). )

- Wacom Cintiq 27QHD

Currently (since recently), I do not recommend Cintiq alternatives (and...btw, Wacom Cintiq 22" and 24" are quite fine if don't care as much as I do for color calibration/color gamma. Reason why I did not list them. ). The alternatives are fine and good, but have my reasons to think the above (even when the other brand in the ultra cheap range is a good purchase, if counting on line stabilization by software) set of options is preferable, would be too long -even longer- to explain this last change of heart of mine... If anything I can tell you this much : most have battery based pens, these tend to have more jitter in the line (unsure on how much of it can be compensated by software stabilization, for each brand and model), a lot of them are bad in its color calibration, even some of them being IPS screens, some have screen ghosting due to low refresh rate in the screen, some of the cheapr and older models -still sold- used TN screens (you need to look for IPS or at least VA (MVA, PVA, etc)), so with horrid color and bad view angles, too many of them are glossy screens, imo, horrible for long hours illustrating, and the filters/films included, if not set by default, are hard to set without bubbles, and well, drivers in the Wacom world are full of issues, but some people have very serious issues with these alternatives ones (tho most cases are solved by FULLY uninstalling Wacom's drivers or other drivers from previous tablets in that system). 

Even so, for the valiant (I might do it someday ! ) , I'd say I'm interested lately in a good, cheap model, theParblo Coast 22 (22 inches) . Seems to be a good screen, and battery free pens :  https://www.amazon.com/Parblo-Graphics-Cordless-Battery-free-Protector/dp/B01CTVHHKS/   . Is cheaper even than my previous cheaper favorite (XP PEN 22 , but both it and its improved version have issues with color calibration and full color gamma. Not an issue for hobbyists, tho. ). Yiynova are said to be the best screens (for color) in these alternatives, but I read mixed things, so I'd yet have to have one and test it to believe it... Thing is, these COULD be great. But an intuos Pro Paper or just an Intuos Medium, I just know they work in any scenario. Very rock solid pieces of hardware. Yes, the danger would be loosing the ease of work in a cintiq alternative, so much similar to traditional drawing, but is also sth to consider, that not everyone is ready to draw so near a screen a bunch of hours a day -is not for me, possibly, I used a Cintiq for months. This applies even more to a tablet like and iPad Pro, which I wouldn't use for 24/7 work,,,,Plus have the enormous issue -for me- of being tiny.

About scratching the surface. I've never done so with my Intuos Pro XL, and it has that kind of soft surface. You can install one of the default nibs, which is sofer, is what i do. Also, I'm a light pressure drawing artist. I barely touch the surface. This XL has a lot of years of intensive usage, not a scratch. But there are people really "intense" with pressure while drawing, so is hard to say if your girlfriend could damage it. Yeah, if she is that way, maybe a yiynova, which is  in its top models pure glass, would be safer....I don't recommend her a cintiq alternative already, even so. An intuos Pro Paper (medium or large(large is much better)) , just tell her to do soft lines, and help her changing first the nib, setting the softer one. 

EDIT: The more reviews / tests, etc I see, the less I'd recommend cintiq alternatives, Until I see more line jitter free solutions, my opinions wont change...So, yeah, for now, Large Paper Pro all the way, or anything below till reaching the bare minimum of an Intuos medium size. I am not related to Wacom, in any way you could imagine, nor with any brand or company. Is just my mere opinion and experience.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@SrPx - thank you very much for your detailed description and additional good ideas. I have already send your detailed reply to my girlfriend - let's see what she think and of course also understand.

As already mention above we will and plan to go for the Wacom Intuos Pro M Paper Edition or even the Pro L Paper Edition. For the Here in Hong Kong the price difference is around 125 US$ more for the L version instead of the M. I already read that the M version supports A5 Paper and the L version supports A4 Paper. Of course she has the final decision if prefer A5 or A4. I am just the sponsor for this as I promised to make her old long time hidden dream become true. In this moment I would say that the Cintiq is kind of out of price league in this moment - here as it does cost more than 2000 US$ - but I will still point this out to her too. As I know her she might really prefer the Paper Edition as she can also draw then on the sofa either instead of sitting always in front of the computer. Gonna keep you all up to date and share some results with you in the near future too. No matter if traditional or digital.

IMO, the paper edition medium size is a great purchase. :)  With the L, you would be buying the safest bet, but in a way, the paper function in a medium size, might replace the extra accuracy in line work that would be provided by a L model.

One important note: As much a I complain about jitter in alternative brands.... turns out the wobbly complaints about the cintiq Pro 16 model are more than justified (just realized how many tests/complaints about this are there in youtube !  )

https://youtu.be/E21MXal0xT0?t=41s

They're indeed more wobbly than in battery charged pencils on alternative brands !  Go guess... And updating the drivers (seen videos about it, too) only improves the situation a bit, leaving it even under the situation of several alternative brands !.  But Wacom is still a tad more expensive. This is unacceptable. So, sorry, but in the matter of Cintiqs, scratch my 'all cintiqs are good'... I'd say so for the 27 QHD model, as its excellent, or the machine having most of 27 QHD internals, but being from Dell, and pretty similar to the Wacom 27 QHD : Dell Canvas, is another nice tablet to buy. (expensive, tho cheaper than the 27qhd. Prices are to go down in the release of the Wacom 32", probably this January. ) I mention this as I was praising above all cintiqs, mostly....

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

3 minutes ago, SrPx said:

IMO, the paper edition medium size is a great purchase. :)  With the L, you would be buying the safest bet, but in a way, the paper function in a medium size, might replace the extra accuracy in line work that would be provided by a L model....

Does the Wacom Intuos Pro Paper come with other additional software beside that "Inkspace app" (see also this related thread here) for digitizing the paper drawings? - I mean did you ever tried that tablet together with the supplied software solutions for paper drawings?

Nope... I have not the tablet at home, I've seen a ton of tests in videos, that's it.  

Anyway, dunno, maybe there's some *ini file somewhere with hardcoded pressure settings way too high, or... maybe it could be related to resolution ?   IE, it might be working with too small canvases in those tests (I know it is vectorial, but maybe there's a way to specify the global size in which it is operating, in its tracking/scanning operation) , and line thickness can be only of a certain minimum. Maybe increasing the resolution of the canvas (or wherever it asks for a total resolution in pixels for an intermediate step) could be a different story ?  I'd for sure test that kind of things if I had one at home.... (hint for my non existent sponsors...)

What I was mainly referring to , tho, is to the much more basic need of getting the lines to lay exactly where one wants, with no jitter, and no "guessing" the flow and position with frequent "undos". This seems to get solved in the Paper models (and partially, in cintiqs and alternatives....but not fully), and for me is one of the biggest issues for people not able to ink well with a wacom. From those tests in that thread, clearly some settings could be touched, imo... I mean, the "life" , line weight, and feel of the line is important, of course, but you need first to be able to lay lines as you wanted in terms of position, angle, curve (and without wobble ), etc.

Ah Ok I see. - The problem someone has in the other tread is, that ink drawn on paper seems to can be only converted/exported by that "Inkspace app" as PDF/SVG vectors with Bezier curves paths (aka filled paths whose coordinates do describing more the whole boundaries of what is drawn with ink). So a simple thin drawn line won't just be a plain line, but instead the whole surrounding path representation of that line.

Finally she was able to finish reading the long reply from SrPx and last night when we meet we also discuss about this issue one more time. It seems she prefer indeed the Intuos Paper L version after explain her. Because basically she would not take the Tablet work as it is too big (Even the small one) and regardless that the travel time for her work is long - she not always has a seat in the Metro for sit down.

The Paper Version is interesting because she can sit anywhere beside me and we can talk and she can draw - she not need to sit in the Computer Room and be alone there in the future. We even might go near our home for a coffee or so and she might be able to take the Board with her for drawing.

I have checked that the Finetip Refill pens do cost 15 US$ for 4pcs (so should be like 120 - 150HK$)  - I think that this can be still quite acceptable price. As I am aware that any kind of hobby will cost / kill money - no nice hobby is for free indeed.

I have also asked her for the 2 above Manga drawing where made at a quite similar time from her.

We will during the Christmas Weekend go to a Computer Center in Hong Kong as we have sufficient time then and take a look at the Paper Version L most likely.

Yep, I'm really bad at writing short, readable posts ! Trust me, I know... ;D 

Sorry, I had forgotten to reply here. :)

The L size is the one I always recommend for illustration. The Paper function, imo is quite fine for manga line art and any sort of fast sketching. Even so, for drawing being with you instead of having to be on the computer desk, in the living room, or etc, I could even see as a better option, if it is just for sketching, just a plain pencil and paper, and a big moleskine or better, those wooden pads (which I prefer as is better to draw over very few paper sheets and a rigid surface below) with a pin at the top to grab and release the paper. For inking the final work, is where Wacom's Paper could come most handy. Actually...for sketching too, but might be easier just a the traditional pen and paper (of course, using the scanner every home printer comes with (fine for scanning sketches), these days, to get the drawing into the computer. And in the computer, ink it, using Paper or just using the Intuos Pro L as a standard Intuos, maybe setting in Affinity Photo the line stabilization (or in whatever painting application she uses ! )).

If she draws like 50 drawings a day (then she should start a side job as a comic artist ! ;D ) maybe the Paper function comes handy, as scanning more than 10 drawings can get boring pretty fast...  But in any case, the difference in price between an Intuos Pro L and its Paper version, is not huge (around 70 $? can't remember...), and what is important is that she gets in both cases a fantastic Intuos Pro L (she can use it without the Paper function), which with some training (of the hand-screen coordination in the non pen-display tablets (intuos))  is from my point of view, the best tablet for an illustrator or comic artist. I mean, the best for serious work, of high level, and it is very comfortable to use, you can sit at a good distance from the monitor screen, unlike with a pen-display. The best of the best is as mentioned the Cintiq 27" QHD Touch. But that's a crazy load of money, and still forces you to draw too near of a screen.

BTW another alternative, though a by far more expensive one here, but on the other side probably much more portable (and overall flexible usable for other computer related things too) is to use a iPad Pro with a pencil. - See for example this video comparison here.

and...yep, I had seen that video, and a ton more.... Thing is, once you get one of those on your hands, experience tells you everything. I spent 45 minutes drawing non stop with one at a demo in a commercial center in my city. No way... It is ok, but the pen accuracy/response is not that better compared to an Intuos pen. I thought it was! And...probably it is... but the tiny tiny size penalizes vastly the whole thing. Is just 12,9 inches... Mostly is, that it is not as accurate and responsive as it seems in the youtube videos.... Anyway, if Apple (which will happen...never, to be precise) would develop at least a 16 inches model, I might be interested... But IMO, for drawing seriously, even just for an advanced hobbyist (let alone a pro) anything below 19 or 22 inches is working with way less comfort and damaging your work specially for complex compositions/illustrations. Also, the tracing, the line art, is able to be way , way more precise at those sizes. An Intuos Pro XL like mine is using more or less that desktop space. A medium is a bit too tiny for line art, IMO, and if is a pen display, 12 - 13 inches make things too crammed. Not just the illustration, also the menus, everything. A L size is a good compromise between space used and accuracy/space for your illustration. With small sizes like 12,9 or 13,3 , if you are illustrating, or drawing comics, you need to resort often to work zoomed in, and almost never zoomed out. In a cintiq 27, to put the most extreme example, you have no real need to zoom, so you can control all what you see while you illustrate, just like when one paints an oil picture, and needs to constantly see the color harmony, lighting balance, composition as a global thing, etc. of course, you would zoom as well in a 27 if want to get really freaky details done at micro detail level, you will have that freedom. In the case of an Intuos, is not a problem as you  have your monitor apart, you are not drawing over a screen, and your monitor can be a 23 inches one (or a gorgeous 27 - 32 one), for example. The only problem there (with a cheap Intuos medium) is with line accuracy, but can be compensated with line stabilization by software (still, this does not solve the accuracy of the line not landing as you want, so , you will need "more tries"-> slower workflow. )

Size of 12,9 is great for some people. I draw, paint and illustrate all day. Not 24/7 (I sleep :D ) but yep a normal full day work. You can't seriously do that and be comfortable over a ~13 inches screen, Ipad or pen-display. I had one Cintiq of that size during 8 months for my work, I know it was far from practical. Apart from the fact that a lot of people dislike the heat and close noise (this happens with some flavors of the Wacom Studio. But certainly not with iPad). Not my issue, but yep the fact that drawing is way less controllable than with my Intuos XL, specially line art, that menu fonts and everything are too small and crammed, and also, space left inside your application for your canvas is tiny, or in the devices having more resolution to avoid this, the fonts are ultra tiny. Far from comfortable. Knowing most of this, I was ready to purchase it, and even telling everyone iPad Pro was the best of the best (the Pencil surely IS the best drawing device, but not that much better as I thought...If it were a global purchase of like 400$, then it'd have sense for me. Expensive for a sketching tool.. or an 800 one but for a 17 -22 inches drawing device, as that could easily become a "mobile" (heh, you can move it ;D ) workstation, the way I see it.)... Until I tried one for almost an hour. In the other side of things, I know how good, useful and durable is an Intuos Pro, specially L and XL sizes, for decades of experience using it (and similar previous tablets) since the # 1 version. So... I recommend it instead. :). maybe if apple release a bigger iPad I'll change completely my opinion...The thing is Dell has done its Dell Canvas (basically a 27 QHD without some details not essential for artists ! but great device)  , Microsoft its huge Studio (quite deceiving, tho, would require a large post about it), a pity that Apple wont go for competing with a device like that (yes, not a tablet-computer, but a drawing screen. If they care that much about designers and artists...) now that they have such amazing drawing technology for screens, and the Pencil.

You don't go wrong, IMO, always is just my opinion, buying an iPad Pro. Is an outstanding tablet, very powerful in its processing, it can do everything, and is surely lovable for fast sketching. If that's the only use. But only for that, I see 800 + 100 + 100 bucks way (and very very limited storage), way too much money for the function. Also, I dislike with a passion the iOS file system. if I were to call it so. I was also not liking the fact that color profiles and calibration in the first 12,9 generation was just limited to live with (kind of) sRGB color gamut and few options, and that'd be it. I work with sRGB a lot, as provides very good compatibility, but very often you need to work with wider gamuts. Luckily, now 2nd generation of 12.9 (previously was only 10.5 and 9.7) supports P3 gamut. And I believe I read you can color calibrate the device. Still, the size is a very huge issue, for me, even for portable sketching... But surely is just me.

It always depends, for someone who still prefers to draw on real paper beside using it plugged to a PC a Wacom IPP is Ok. The other bigger directly draw on monitor devices like a Cintiq, MS Surface Studio, or the Dell Canvas etc. are probably fine as stationary work places, as far as their pen digitizer implementations have a fine grade accuracy and no display/glas line drawing offsets here. The iPad Pro tablets are charming here as lightweight/portable devices which still have a good usable pen support. - Though for all these devices let's not forget, that also the available software support does play here an important role too. Meaning, the best hardware device is pretty useless, if there isn't also good (payable) software available which can make use out of it's capabilities.

Thanks for your further ideas and update. I assume as due to her work and also the time she need to arrive at my home when we meet (normally not every day) she won't draw too much. She recently make a drawing from the movie UP (Where they lay on the grass watching to the sky) and she want to prepare that for our home.

Maybe as said above she will be happy to sit beside me and draw one or maybe 2 drawing a day - not 50. But who knows - when she like and enjoy it she might make more. Who knows then.

As I have purchased the Affinity Photo of my iPad she try a small simple drawing there too. Of course due to the size easier then with the phone but still just with the fingers. At least the most important thing is she like it.

Last weekend we had sufficient time and check the stores for the Wacom Tablets. We even had been lucky enough to see a Wacom Presenter so we could try out the different Wacom Tablet there - like the Bamboo, the Intuos and also Intuos Pro. Finally after some trying - we decide as we already did - Intuos Pro Paper L. Even the package is huge and carry that back home was another nice task - my lady was happy with this.

Later at home we try out her new "toy" and set it quickly up with only adding an "Undo" Key. First of all she did try Krita (First result below) and on Sunday I install Affinity Designer Trial Version and let her draw some time alone (Water Lily). Of course we need more time for the trying - because in Krita the drawing was only a kind of pixel drawing whereas in Designer we can enlarge it a lot to do some fine tuning. This we haven't done yet - just the first results I do like to share.

Thanks a lot for your valuable and good suggestions / tips and ideas here for us. Now we need more time to get used to the 2 programs we try out. Only one feedback she give me that in Designer sometimes she draw something but it not appear on the screen.

Cutie1.jpg

water lily.jpg

Fine you got sorted it out and found what you liked. - For Designer make sure the Wacom drivers are up to date and that the apps brush top controller option setting is set to pressure there when drawing!

And you also can play with the pressure sensitivity in the Wacom Control Panel. Maybe set it to be very sensitive. (depending on the software, some will take well the "per application" customization at the wacom control panel, but some others wont be affected and will only be looking at/tracking the "main" general wacom tablet settings.) 

Intuos Pro L Paper, really a top purchase (without surpassing the 1k and 2k $ barriers), congrats ! Very round purchase. :)

About adding details : In Krita  or Affinity Photo, you work in raster, not in vectors,  you work with vectors with Affinity Designer. But Krita and Affinity Photo are raster tools, not vectors based tools. So if you want more detail in a raster file, only need to set a much higher image size when starting your white canvas illustration. IE, instead of leaving the image size at the default size from the app, you need to set sth quite bigger, usually 5000x5000 pixels or so. Then you can zoom and still not see the pixelation.