ianstudio

Display choice Metal.. Open GL.. etc.

Hello,

Am not sure what Display pref is best for me..

I have an aging :

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Metal seems to make the fans work up a storm and the interface get sluggish..
Who is Metal good for? Much newer Macs ?

And what is the difference between

Open GL
Open GL using integrated GPU
Open GL Basic
Open GL Basic using integrated GPU

and finally Metal.. in real world scenarios not so much theoretical blah blah.- thanks

See for example these explanations (or take a look at Wikipedia etc.) about Graphics APIs and hardware acceleration in general. - The difference is hardware and GPU specific and related, since there are for example notebooks which do come with a CPU internal GPU and also have a dedicated one (the later dedicated one is usually more powerful here) and thus may allow to switch between these.

In practice you should try out, which setting doesn't stress your notebook too much here and still gives pleasing flawless rendering and correct display app performance for you!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.0 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.0 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks I've read all these types of infos many times over over the years (except for Metal which is pretty new to my .. I've tried all options many times with AD (and Adobe before) (as I do with all soft.. 3D, video etc). I was hoping for a very clear cut answer.. as In.. "for YOUR computer your best bet is..". In any case I feel Metal kicks up the fans and responsiveness starts lagging so I guess Metal is out of the picture for my computer. As for the various Open GL options I cannot really sense any difference..

Just use the plain OpenGL without Metal acceleration when in doubt here, that should be best to avoid overheating and to keep the fan noise level moderate down!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.0 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.0 ◆ OSX El Capitan