You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switch from Standalone Installer to Microsoft Store Installer

8 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Unfortunately, I don't think it's just a question of what people want - it has to be technicaly, contractualy, logisticaly and financialy feasible.

Some developers already did this, i cannot see why Serif team won't other than trying to make more profit from the ones who alrady purchased their software

• Staff
14 minutes ago, lugiank said:

Some developers already did this, i cannot see why Serif team won't other than trying to make more profit from the ones who alrady purchased their software

We do not want to profit 2 times at all. We do not expect anyone to purchase again from the Microsoft store who has the software already from us, and going forward they can choose where to buy from.

Only buy an additional Microsoft Store copy if the convenience is worth it to you. If the convenience is not worth the extra money then don't buy another copy, just install the one you already have again.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Unfortunately, I don't think it's just a question of what people want - it has to be technicaly, contractualy, logisticaly and financialy feasible.

Well technically it is possible, and as for the other three I don't see why Microsoft or Serif wouldn't want to make some extra dollars from customers who already paid once. All I'm saying is that if a lot of people want this, it would make sense to look into it.

24 minutes ago, roqvist said:

Well technically it is possible, and as for the other three I don't see why Microsoft or Serif wouldn't want to make some extra dollars from customers who already paid once. All I'm saying is that if a lot of people want this, it would make sense to look into it.

+1

9 hours ago, TonyB said:

I also would suggest the Affinity store will be around much longer than the Windows Store.

25r30wi.gif gigglesmile.gif 25r30wi.gif

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I participated in the betas for Affinity Photo and Designer, last year, before public launch. Back then I suggested that they should publish the apps in the Windows Store, as it would work the same way and it wouldn't even need the code to detect new versions or check license/serial codes. I understand that the Windows Store reduces the target audience, since it requires an up to date Windows 10 installation, but I suppose that is actually preferable to having to support outdated OSs (Windows 7, Vista, 8...). 

Back then the response I got was that the app wouldn't work in the Store because it wasn't an UWP app. I tried to explain that there was support for regular win32 binaries in the Store now (then) and it was very easy to publish the app (I am a software developer and former Microsoft MVP for Windows (Store and desktop) development). They told me "it wasn't possible" and that was it. I understand that there are strategic steps in product development, but to say it isn't possible when we know it is, is sad. I bought the apps anyway, but I would very much prefer to have acquired them from the Windows Store. 

So, here I am again: it IS possible to create vouchers in the Windows Store. There are many options for vouchers or other ways to purchase apps (using in-app purchases or the beta mechanism). Serif isn't your regular small shop and it is very well regarded by the quality of the Affinity apps. I am sure Microsoft would be more than willing to help navigate the options available or even lift some of the limitations on the number of vouchers that can be generated if the outcome is to gain thousands of new customers in their Store. Microsoft wants all the traction it can get and apps like this a great for that.

• Staff

@Kelps Leite de Sousa

I think that a year ago our app was not one that the Windows Store would accept through the bridge program, but you seem to be better informed. As to the logic of buying a "reduced price" voucher to transfer to a Microsoft Store version (or rather to own both) feels like selling customers the app again, when the software is exactly the same functionality. Also Microsoft Store customers would want the rights to do the reverse, and we do not know who they are and could not implement this without breaking the store rules I think. 

I would hope most customers will be happy to stick with the one they have bought. Other than the update process there is not any significant differences. If updating automatically is worth the re-purchase price then feel free but I cannot see it myself.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, kelps said:

I understand that the Windows Store reduces the target audience, since it requires an up to date Windows 10 installation, but I suppose that is actually preferable to having to support outdated OSs (Windows 7, Vista, 8...). 

I am a Mac only user so I have no firsthand experience with this, but I have the strong impression that one of the major selling points for a lot of Windows users is that the Affinity apps do support several older & still popular Windows versions. For the most part, these users do not seem to consider those versions to be outdated.

Apparently, there are also lingering concerns about the amount of private user data Windows 10 collects & sends to Microsoft, even with the latest update that is supposed to make that more transparent & user configurable. I do not know how valid these concerns are, but I imagine that (like on the Mac side) there are good reasons some users have for not wanting to upgrade the OS version they are running to the latest one.

So with that in mind, I have to wonder how important the addition of the Affinity apps to the Windows Store will be for the majority of Windows users, & thus if it is really worth the effort  for Serif to somehow resolve the issues @Patrick Connor mentioned.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I personally think there is zero chance of these guys helping us out on the transferring the licenses.  I purchased Photo and Designer as soon as they were able on Windows.  The problem was I accidentally purchased them on 2 different email addresses (one yahoo and one gmail).  I emailed as soon as I realised what I'd done the day of the 2nd purchase.  They were zero help.  Told me there was no way they could transfer the license which seems crazy.  I've tried a few times to get it transferred and have been met with the same response "can't be done".  I was even told about 12 months too late that I should have cancelled my purchase within the time period... which wasn't mentioned the first time.

So yeah, I'd say there is going to be zero effort put in to making this windows store license transfer even if it was a simple process :/  Just my opinion based on my dealings with the support channel so far.

16 hours ago, mattjcody said:

I personally think there is zero chance of these guys helping us out on the transferring the licenses.  I purchased Photo and Designer as soon as they were able on Windows.  The problem was I accidentally purchased them on 2 different email addresses (one yahoo and one gmail).  I emailed as soon as I realised what I'd done the day of the 2nd purchase.  They were zero help.  Told me there was no way they could transfer the license which seems crazy.  I've tried a few times to get it transferred and have been met with the same response "can't be done".  I was even told about 12 months too late that I should have cancelled my purchase within the time period... which wasn't mentioned the first time.

So yeah, I'd say there is going to be zero effort put in to making this windows store license transfer even if it was a simple process :/  Just my opinion based on my dealings with the support channel so far.

Serif you really should change the way you manage public relations

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2017 at 0:23 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Kelps Leite de Sousa

I think that a year ago our app was not one that the Windows Store would accept through the bridge program, but you seem to be better informed. As to the logic of buying a "reduced price" voucher to transfer to a Microsoft Store version (or rather to own both) feels like selling customers the app again, when the software is exactly the same functionality. Also Microsoft Store customers would want the rights to do the reverse, and we do not know who they are and could not implement this without breaking the store rules I think. 

I would hope most customers will be happy to stick with the one they have bought. Other than the update process there is not any significant differences. If updating automatically is worth the re-purchase price then feel free but I cannot see it myself.

Thanks for you reply. I understand you point. I keep the current version for now, but I might end up buying it again from the store for convenience eventually. We'll see.