You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switch from Standalone Installer to Microsoft Store Installer

Hello

Note: This topic is not a bug - but I wasn't sure where else to post this question. So feel free to move this post to where it belongs. Thx.

Baseline: I currently own a copy of Affinity Designer aswell of Affinity Photo for Windows that has been directly installed incl. the license key. Great product, happy customer. Today I was surprised to find both products in the Microsoft Store (the virtual one on Windows).

Quesitions:

1. Is there a difference between the "standalone" installer vs. the "Microsoft Store" installation? (f.e. both 64bit? / both same features?)
  2. Is there a way to switch from the "standalone" installer to the "Microsoft Store" installation - without buying a new license aside from my current license?

Best regards
Civera

• Staff

Hey Civera,

The Microsoft Store version in terms of functionality is identical to the Affinity Store versions. So to answer your questions:

1. Ultimately it is exactly the same app but it installs differently. The same dependencies are installed if missing from your computer. Both are 64 bit. I personally found the Microsoft Store installation to be a nice experience and the entire process is automatic when it comes to updates as long as auto updates are enabled.
  2. No. They are completely separate. I currently have the Microsoft version installed as well as the Affinity Store version and finally the beta. Both store versions operate independently from one another. 

If you are asking is it worth purchasing them again, I would say absolutely not as there would be no benefit for you. 

Hey Chris B.

First - thx for moving my post to the right topic. Second - your answer is what I expected to be. And yes I also find it to be a nice experience to have my applications installed over the Microsoft Store.

Thank you and you may (if you can) mark this post as resolved.

Cheers Civera

I think it would be great if any existing owners of the Affinity products for windows could get codes for Microsoft Store so we can have the product installed through it, it has its benefits when it comes to switching machines, automatic updates, etc.

• Staff
39 minutes ago, roqvist said:

I think it would be great if any existing owners of the Affinity products for windows could get codes for Microsoft Store so we can have the product installed through it, it has its benefits when it comes to switching machines, automatic updates, etc.

There just isn't a way for us to provide codes. The Store is run by Microsoft and we don't have any control over this kind of stuff.

8 minutes ago, TonyB said:

There just isn't a way for us to provide codes. The Store is run by Microsoft and we don't have any control over this kind of stuff.

That's odd, I have a few developers at my work who wrote Windows apps and they handed out codes that we could use to redeem their app in Microsoft store. This was about a year ago, maybe it changed since then.

Any way I'm happy with the stand alone products but it would be sweet to have it bundled with my other Microsoft products.

Edit: Here is a link that describes promo codes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/generate-promotional-codes

1 hour ago, TonyB said:

Isn't it possible to set free the windows store version and ask for a valid key/purchase one on first startup?

What about a sale for a known user group? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/put-apps-and-add-ons-on-sale

I think it would be nice to let every existing customer at least not pay the full price for the same software on the same operating system. Just let every existing owner enter his mail for the MS Store account, let them pay extra 20 bucks and everyone is happy.

And btw as existing user of the Java Minecraft (sold externally) you get a code for the Windows Store version as well. So theoretically it is possible to provide These codes. Just ask your Microsoft contacts.

• Staff
54 minutes ago, flooo said:

Hi! Just noticed designer is on the windows store. I would also prefer owning that version.

Is it possible to get a refund of the affinity store purchase, when I proof that I purchased the windows store version?

If you are within your return period, you can contact affinityreturns@serif.com to request a refund. 

• Staff
5 minutes ago, lugiank said:

Isn't it possible to set free the windows store version and ask for a valid key/purchase one on first startup?

If you had a free version that asked for a key then the rules of the store say you must not tell them how to get the key unless you purchase it through the Windows store.

This would create terrible confusion. We have been through all the options and none are possible at this time.

I also would suggest the Affinity store will be around much longer than the Windows Store.

11 minutes ago, TonyB said:

If you had a free version that asked for a key then the rules of the store say you must not tell them how to get the key unless you purchase it through the Windows store.

This would create terrible confusion. We have been through all the options and none are possible at this time.

I also would suggest the Affinity store will be around much longer than the Windows Store.

Doesn't sound like you're quite sold on the windows store^^

I really like how easy it is to download all the apps on a new computer, getting seamless updates etc.

And seeing how the store is a big part of microsoft's new revenue model, I would guess that it'll be around for a while.

Do you think refunds for people who repurchase stuff over there are possible?

29 minutes ago, flooo said:

@lugiank

I feel like its cleaner for new customers the way it is.

Plus I don't think microsoft would even allow them to handle this themselves.

There is plenty of app with in-app purchases.

Affinity team could provide a 7-day trial with the option to register with an existing code or an in-app purchase at the end of the trial period

• Staff
35 minutes ago, flooo said:

Doesn't sound like you're quite sold on the windows store^^

I really like how easy it is to download all the apps on a new computer, getting seamless updates etc.

And seeing how the store is a big part of microsoft's new revenue model, I would guess that it'll be around for a while.

Do you think refunds for people who repurchase stuff over there are possible?

This would be a manual process for us at the moment and we would also lose money.

Most of the better solutions would require development App side and Web side so this would have to be a future thing.

19 minutes ago, TonyB said:

This would be a manual process for us at the moment and we would also lose money.

Most of the better solutions would require development App side and Web side so this would have to be a future thing.

Even a partial refund for the few who care about the store would go a long way!

Thanks for the reply though, is there any way to get updates about this?

• Staff
1 minute ago, flooo said:

Even a partial refund for the few who care about the store would go a long way!

Thanks for the reply though, is there any way to get updates about this?

We sell cheaply already and most people here are happy to support this company, which is appreciated. I cannot see any reason why anyone outside their returns period will be refunded for this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We sell cheaply already and most people here are happy to support this company, which is appreciated. I cannot see any reason why anyone outside their returns period will be refunded for this.

Holy s***t, you're saying that your customers love to pay twice to move store -.-

I assume there are no plans of fixing this? Well that's disappointing.

I guess you can close this, thanks for the replies!

51 minutes ago, flooo said:

Holy s***t, you're saying that your customers love to pay twice to move store -.-

I assume there are no plans of fixing this? Well that's disappointing.

I guess you can close this, thanks for the replies!

this sort of things piss me off very hard

• Staff
1 hour ago, lugiank said:

this sort of things piss me off very hard

If we had offered Microsoft Store from the word go this would not have been an issue, but some customers are going to be upset, but it is what it is, please don't be too upset.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, roqvist said:

Maybe add it as a feature request to see the community interest? If a lot of people want to do it...

Unfortunately, I don't think it's just a question of what people want - it has to be technicaly, contractualy, logisticaly and financialy feasible.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10