You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Multiple-page PDFs from the Export persona, how?

Hi all,

I can't be sure I'm not missing something, but it seems that when exporting a multiple-artboard document via the Export persona I'll always get a single page giant PDF, while when using the Export dialog I always get a mutliple-page document (which is actually what I want). So... can I use the Export persona to get a multiple-page PDF at all?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

7 hours ago, DWright said:

In the Export persona goto the Slices tab and click the export icon for the background layer and this will export the artboards as a multi-page PDF file

Thanks, but this is exactly what's not working for me. Please look at the video below.

2017-12-05_18-31-36.gif

I'm puzzled now. DWright, thanks for your document. I exported it flawlessly as multipage in AD 1.6.2.97, but as a single page (see PDF below) in AD 1.6.3.96 beta. I believe these versions are essentially the same, so something might be wrong with my settings.

background.pdf

• 1 year later...

So... after all this time and many betas, exporting as a multipage PDF from the Export persona still doesn't work. It's just a matter of adding a checkbox, the functionality already exists in the Export PDF dialog. Exporting manually every time is cumbersome.

I just spent two hours reformatting an old Illustrator document based on the assumption that I could export each artboard into a multi-page PDF to send to the printer. I still don't fully understand the difference between the document size and the artboard sizes in Designer. Maybe this would make more sense if I approached it as a Publisher project with multiple pages since I remember from the keynote they mentioned that Designer doesn't understand multiple pages. 

8 hours ago, rubs said:

So... after all this time and many betas, exporting as a multipage PDF from the Export persona still doesn't work. It's just a matter of adding a checkbox, the functionality already exists in the Export PDF dialog. Exporting manually every time is cumbersome.

I believe the conclusion I saw (in another topic) was that File > Export should be used to create multi-page PDFs. The Export Persona is for other purposes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe the conclusion I saw (in another topic) was that File > Export should be used to create multi-page PDFs. The Export Persona is for other purposes.

I think the Export Persona is a great idea. It's meant to automate repetitive tasks such as deciding which slices to export, naming them and remember your settings, among others. (It was one of my deciding factors when I moved from Xara to Affinity Designer.) I don't see multi-page PDFs would conflict with the existing options. To me it's still an omission, and a quite easy one to solve to begin with. Judging for the many topics regarding the subject to date, others seem so think the same way.