You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend Modes: Is the math correct?

I have a question.....

When performing some steps that I have mimicked from Photoshop using blend modes (using the same image) the resulting image never matches the result in Photoshop. Now is this because the math behind the layer modes differ or because the color profile that I'm using in Designer/Photo (default) differ from Photoshop (default)? What could I be overlooking?

Perhaps both, but from what little I know of the blend mode math in each programs, it seems the equations are probably somewhat different. I suppose it might be something like: In one program, color values above a certain threshold are added by x% to the underlaying layer. In the other program, colors above a slightly different threshold are added y%  to the underlying layer. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 3 weeks later...

1. The blend modes do not depend on the color profile, they operate with color values i.e. just numbers and not what color they represent.

2. I think there is no difference in the blend modes math, at least significantly visible.

So perhaps, you are using Fill (in Photoshop) instead of Opacity, or Convert to Profile vs Assign Profile when you open the file.

On 12/21/2017 at 5:45 AM, Yevgeny Makarov said:

1. The blend modes do not depend on the color profile, they operate with color values i.e. just numbers and not what color they represent.

2. I think there is no difference in the blend modes math, at least significantly visible.

So perhaps, you are using Fill (in Photoshop) instead of Opacity, or Convert to Profile vs Assign Profile when you open the file.

Fill and Opacity layer changes are not being made in the process, just the change of the layer's mode.