You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just purchased Affinity and the first photo I wanted had red eye.  I went to develop and selected the red eye button and it would not work.  Everything in the tool bar worked but the red eye button could not be selected. Why????

Mac Pro 2010

12 Core

Mac OSX 10.13.1

64 Gig

AMD Radeon HD 7950: 3 Gig VRAM

HGST Enterprise Drives

When the other tools in the pallet are selected controls are seen in the top bar.  When the redeye tool is selected there are no controls.  The tool does not work.

The first picture is the selected healing tool the second picture picture is the red eye tool.  See the difference???

The tool will not select.

-healing tool.jpg

-redeye tool.jpg

There are no user settings, so nothing appears on the context toolbar. Select the red eye tool and simply drag a marquee (or two) around the eye(s) and AP does the rest.

red.jpg.646c424ba2b3b8bb819804538d709449.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

If the answers above aren't helping: did you try in the photo persona? That's the icon in the top left corner of your screenshot.

When I use the Red Eye Removal * there, I only have to have the cursor at the red spot and click -> this replaces the red with a darker colour (there are no settings). If it's still not working: check that you have selected the correct layer.

* hidden behind the healing brush icon

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, BartHovis said:

Apparently this tool only works when it detects the color red.  I tried to use it for a "green eye" in a dog photo but it did nothing.  Is there a way to correct when they eye is not red?

There are a few older topics about removing pet "green eye," like this one. I ended up using a simplified version of the technique mentioned by @Máté, which you might find useful. The basic idea is to create a new pixel layer that contains just the green part of the eyes & adjust their color as needed.

I tried several different ways to select the green eye parts but the easiest for me was to use the Selection Brush Tool in Add mode, then grow the selection by enough pixels to make sure all of the green was selected. Then, I just copied & pasted the selection, which created a new 'eyes only' layer. I added a Black & White adjustment to that layer & reduced the cyan & green contributions to darken the eyes without removing too much of the highlights. The attached green eye reduction.afphoto file includes the history so you can use the History panel slider to see how this works. (The copy step isn't shown in the history for some reason, but it was done just before the paste.)

5a33b1a84ae50_historysteps.png.e2673fd6bb3631f484b0b2feed7499f6.png

If the grow selection step includes too much of the non-green part of the eye, it is easy to use a soft erase brush to fix that, so I suggest making sure the selection is large enough to begin with. If the B&W adjustment does not do what you want you can try something else but the nice thing about adjustment layers is they are non-destructve & remain editable so you can play around with them to get almost any effect you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
On 12/6/2017 at 2:26 AM, manu schwendener said:

If the answers above aren't helping: did you try in the photo persona? That's the icon in the top left corner of your screenshot.

When I use the Red Eye Removal * there, I only have to have the cursor at the red spot and click -> this replaces the red with a darker colour (there are no settings). If it's still not working: check that you have selected the correct layer.

* hidden behind the healing brush icon

I found the red eye removal tool and added it to my toolbar, but upon using it, it also does not seem to remove any red eye.  What is the trick to using it?

@gator

Make sure you are working on an pixel layer, it will not work on an image layer

If the word "image" appears in the layers panel next to your layer's name, select the layer then select Layer > Rasterise to turn it into a pixel layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

19 hours ago, gator said:

I found the red eye removal tool and added it to my toolbar, but upon using it, it also does not seem to remove any red eye

I tried removing red eye from an old image just a couple of days ago, and had the same problem.  It works on some images but not on others - rasterising and selecting obviously red areas don't work.  I can't post examples (other people's children) but if I find something suitable I'll post it.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

> It works on some images but not on others

It depends on the intensity of the red.

To see what I mean, download https://unsplash.com/photos/ijyd3Uz6ncY, open it in AP and activate the red eye tool.

Now click into the red capes one after one, just one click per cape.

You see that some of the capes turn grey after one click, others don't.

Now go click on the capes again, multiple times. I get most of the red away like that.

---

And yes, it would be super practical if that worked for other colours than red, too.

16 minutes ago, manu schwendener said:

It depends on the intensity of the red.

True, but That's not the problem in this case - it's now working perfectly!  Why it would consistently fail on a specific image and then suddenly get it right I have no idea!  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10