You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.3.96

7 hours ago, Max N said:

if interested I can throw the file in PM.

Oh yes of course i'm interested in your file. Perhaps the lights in my file are not strong enough.

You are right. Ohter Tools reduce all Brightness and contrast and so on that it looks like that they are working right.

Thanks for explaining and i'm looking forward to test your file. I only can test it in the evening when i'm back at home.

Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Mh... I'm doing further testing and now I'm confused.

I have a hard time understanding if shadows/highlights is consistent or not.

In some cases it seems is doing very little, it is so subtle I can barely tell.

A few screenshots below, comparing with ACR.

The first problem, dynamic rage recovered.

Original

DSCF5697.thumb.jpg.a9bb943f86ed53de463ff73f56b7f871.jpg

AP

Clipboard-AP.thumb.jpg.125f8751c3553767b2b4cb0b909e2482.jpg

ACR

Clipboard-PS.thumb.jpg.4dd38fc72bcc96253e1c1003b57280a4.jpg

Granted, the highlights in PS are blown out, I only wanted to see how much I could push it. I can always fine tune some areas with a mask.

But notice the dynamic on her head. I find there's more info in the ACR version.

The second attempt in AP.

Clipboard-AP2.thumb.jpg.9be07abd54cc854b6aad4ee32287f7d2.jpg

A tad better, but it doesn't seem straightforward to get a balanced image right off the bat.

The second problem, highlights doesn't work.

This time I slightly prefer the result in AP.

Original

DSCF5823_original.thumb.jpg.0b8739f658bb95c4dcfc83c0093d6689.jpg

ACR

DSCF5823._PSjpg.thumb.jpg.d21847810e4e7ae5a586d023808c837b.jpg

AP

DSCF5823_AP.thumb.jpg.cd83127c4b178e32b0eed60002234cea.jpg

In this case, for instance, trying to recover the highlights from the dog's tutu it's been useless, it simply didn't deliver any result.

I worked around the problem by tweaking the exposure, but not only is a different approach, it also leads to different results.

So, it seems that in difficult situations the highlights recovery is not properly working.

I think it needs further tweaking in order to be production ready.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hi,

Thanks to the development team for the good work. I just downloaded last beta versions of Designer & Photo to check if the wacom lag/jaggy lines issue has been solved. But still not solved on this version :(. I'll keep waiting ...

I tested the File from @Max N and with this it works very well.
I think that the algorithm set so fine that it only works with very strong lights, respectively it works with darker lights too, but it´s barely visible.
I also tested my File again, but at first i set shadows to -100 % and then lights up to 100% and then i saw that it works.
That´s for real a very good development. Thumbs up and thank you very much to the development Team. Great Work :1_grinning:

Have a nice day.

Uwe367,

That was my first impression too, but after further testing I'm not convinced. Look at the examples I posted above, especially the one with the dog. There's no way to recover the highlights on the dog's dress.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

8 minutes ago, verysame said:

Uwe367,

That was my first impression too, but after further testing I'm not convinced. Look at the examples I posted above, especially the one with the dog. There's no way to recover the highlights on the dog's dress.

Yes.. i have read your Posting and i saw the Pictures and i compared them. Perhpas the algorithm compares all lights in the picture so that it isn´t possbible to set them to high... i don´t know.
It could be that this is intended, but it could also be a mistake.
Maybe a developer comments on this and brings "light into the darkness" (that´s a german Phrase :13_upside_down: ). Would be very nice.

Have a nice day.

50 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

[...]
Maybe a developer comments on this and brings "light into the darkness" (that´s a german Phrase :13_upside_down: ). Would be very nice.

Yeah, I think it's a universal phrase :)

To me it doesn't look as something intended to work that way, because it would be limiting.

I really hope a dev will chime in.

Andrew
-

The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that if that's the way it's supposed to work, then it's awkward.

Limiting the highlights based on a reading of the value of the image is like taking out the creative possibilities from the end-user and leaving the machine deciding for you. Can't be right.

In fact, from the few tests I did, the same isn't happening with the shadows, which now work beautifully and I find I have room to push or crush them regardless the image I'm editing.

Andrew
-

Shadows and lights only work with very few motifs. Mostly only the whole picture is lightened. This applies to ORF and Sony RAW. Man then has to work with other controllers against it so that the result is usable. I think this version is better than the previous one but not good enough. My opinion on the topic. 
Pictures are coming!

Schatten und Lichter funktionieren nur bei sehr wenigen Motiven. Überwiegend wird nur das ganze Foto aufgehellt. Das gilt für ORF und Sony RAW.

Mann muß dann mit andere Regler dagegen arbeiten damit das Ergebnis brauchbar wird. Ich finde diese Version schon besser wie die Vorhergehende aber noch nicht gut genug. Meine Meinung zum Thema.

Roland

19 hours ago, verysame said:

Limiting the highlights based on a reading of the value of the image is like taking out the creative possibilities from the end-user and leaving the machine deciding for you. Can't be right.

You are right. That can´t be the right way. The area of the controller for the shadows is much bigger than the area of the lights and it will be limit the creativity of the user. Sometimes it´s necessary to overexpose areas in an image.
I hope my english is good enough because sometimes i have to ask google to find the right words :/

So let´s wait and see what the development makes :)

Have a nice day.

14 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

You are right. That can´t be the right way. The area of the controller for the shadows is much bigger than the area of the lights and it will be limit the creativity of the user. Sometimes it´s necessary to overexpose areas in an image.
I hope my english is good enough because sometimes i have to ask google to find the right words :/

So let´s wait and see what the development makes :)

It seems to me that for greater convenience and understanding it would be worthwhile to arrange the instruments so. In the order in which the sections on the histogram are located, on which the sliders operate. The arrangement in the two panels, breaks the logical part. Plus it is a very often used tool, and taking it out to a separate section does not seem very convenient.1245.thumb.jpg.34fc4ae19fdf9d30bc735674dc994f97.jpg

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

I think the next Beta will come soon and i hope that this Problem is fixed then and the lights will work as well like the shadows.
The Raw Converter has made a big step forward with the new clarity and the new shadow algorithm in the latest Beta and when the Problem with the lights is fixed, it´s nearly perfect. That´s my opinion.
I´m courious and i let myself be surprised.

Thanks to the development team. :)

Have a nice day.

21 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

I think the next Beta will come soon and i hope that this Problem is fixed then and the lights will work as well like the shadows.
The Raw Converter has made a big step forward with the new clarity and the new shadow algorithm in the latest Beta and when the Problem with the lights is fixed, it´s nearly perfect. That´s my opinion.
I´m courious and i let myself be surprised.

Thanks to the development team. :)

In addition - nearly perfect, if they improve the loading speed of fuji Raw files and fix the preset function incl. to add a global preset function. :)

6 hours ago, Hofnaar said:

In addition - nearly perfect, if they improve the loading speed of fuji Raw files and fix the preset function incl. to add a global preset function. :)

I work with Nikon Raw´s and the Speed is... lets say it´s ok. Not very fast but slower than, for example, ACR.
It could work a little bit faster, but i´m satisfied so how it is this time.

Have a nice day.

Same situation as Hofnaar here.

For some really strange reason, with the previous beta (or the one before, can't remember) something happened: my Fuji X-T10 raw files opened in 4 sec!

Then, for some inexplicable reason, they opened as usual with an average of 20-30 sec.

Andrew
-

Hooray! Shadows and Highlights improved. Here's a quick test.

Original photo with wide dynamic range:

trac1.thumb.png.5ae17a103dafbf9230ff8df049be6c53.png

Shadows right up, Highlights right down on 1.6.1.93

trac2.thumb.png.e34568e6ebedc077b5658993bc080c46.png

And on 1.6.3.96

trac3.thumb.png.18c70638b2f4720b56126b1971f373a4.png

Much better, especially on Shadows. Thanks, folks!

And, for reference, on ACR via Elements 15:

trac4.thumb.png.d1dbfe50df7a4334c6651d1e80053a15.png

Looks like Affinity Highlights doesn't go as far as ACR but Shadows goes further. Just as a further test, here's 1.6.3.96 with Shadows at 30%.

trac5.thumb.png.3b1f98d056465a8f580c260e1933cd82.png

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

@dmstraker highlights are not working yet. You can get something when the photo is highly overxposed, but in most cases they don't work. If you try with a photo where the exposure is a little better you'll notice highlights don't do much.

Andrew
-