You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.3.96

On 2017/12/20 at 5:01 AM, Rafal said:

Hey Halo

It is good someone else is also trying to get to Serif team with this problem. I kind of feel tired already of posting same thing and hear same respones over and over again.

From me again, I checked drivers, did clean install for diffrent versions, check other software's (in terms of possible conflicts), reinstall windows (8.1), nothing helped. Interesting thing is that my Wacom works fine in PS, Krita, Gimp, Sai, Black ink, Inkscape... it is ONLY Affinity Photo that has this problem. I believe there is a certain line of Wacom small tablets that has this problem in AP. 

After all i could do on my PC i was pretty sure it is not anything wrong with it. As a last resort i installed my tablet on completaly different PC on win 7. All the softwares handled my wacom well on that PC expect AP, again. So after that i am pretty sure there is something wroing with AP and this certain line of Wacom tablets.

For me disabeling history tab dosen't change a thing. If it does, it is nearly impossible to catch.

Are we sure this is not a Wacom issue? Not saying that Affinity can't improve their brush stabilization. This can definitely be improved upon 4 sho and there is definitely a lower quality to brush work in AP. OneNote looks very similar as it has no stabilizers.

I'm on an Intuos4 and tbh, I get shaky lines outside AP. I am considering backdating my drivers a few years back, because so many people have complained about Wacom's drivers having caused more issues with shakiness (particularly Cintiq users). It's making me hold back on upgrading my tablet. Though this is only the Intuos' and Cintiq I've heard issues with.

YMMV

Edit: By the way, I'll be glad to participate in any troubleshooting/brush engine testing mega-thread. Just PM me. Maybe we can help to get this issue resolved.

6 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Мы уверены, что это не проблема Wacom? Не говоря о том, что Affinity не может улучшить их стабилизацию кисти. Это, безусловно, может быть улучшено на 4-х шагах, и, безусловно, более низкое качество для чистки работы в AP. OneNote выглядит очень похоже, поскольку он не имеет стабилизаторов.

Я на Intuos4 и tbh, у меня шаткие линии вне AP. Я подумываю о том, чтобы вернуться к моим водителям несколько лет назад, потому что многие люди жаловались на драйверы Wacom, вызвав больше проблем с дрожью (особенно с пользователями Cintiq). Это заставляет меня сдерживать модернизацию планшета. Хотя это только Intuos и Cintiq, с которыми я слышал проблемы. Редактирование

YMMV

: Кстати, я буду рад принять участие в любом решении по поиску и устранению неисправностей / кисти, проверяя мега-нить. Просто попроси меня.

I also thought at the beginning that the problem is in the wacom drivers. However, when I bought a new tablet from the company Huion Q11k. And the problem repeated. Although there is even a stitching system built into the driver. The tablet itself is just a machine gun and in all the programs where the smoothing and stabilization of the stroke system is normally implemented, everything worked perfectly and without criticism it: Krita, paintstorm, photoshop. The fact that my system is not enough power is also unlikely. CPU i4770k, GPU GT760, ssd 850 for 250gb, RAM 16GB. In addition, brushes behave differently even in one version of the program. That all works normally, then the line is clearly angular. Or the stroke a little slows down at the start and instead of the curve draws a straight line, and then it's fine. This is the problem of the program itself, not the drivers. I remember that this sore was treated for a very long time in Krita, there too at first the stabilization and smoothing of the stroke worked poorly, but now it was cured.

1 hour ago, AsFrog said:

I also thought at the beginning that the problem is in the wacom drivers. However, when I bought a new tablet from the company Huion Q11k. And the problem repeated. Although there is even a stitching system built into the driver. The tablet itself is just a machine gun and in all the programs where the smoothing and stabilization of the stroke system is normally implemented, everything worked perfectly and without criticism it: Krita, paintstorm, photoshop. The fact that my system is not enough power is also unlikely. CPU i4770k, GPU GT760, ssd 850 for 250gb, RAM 16GB. In addition, brushes behave differently even in one version of the program. That all works normally, then the line is clearly angular. Or the stroke a little slows down at the start and instead of the curve draws a straight line, and then it's fine. This is the problem of the program itself, not the drivers. I remember that this sore was treated for a very long time in Krita, there too at first the stabilization and smoothing of the stroke worked poorly, but now it was cured.

Yes, for me the shakiness is intermittent, but it's not super problematic in external programs (except in the case of OneNote) except I have to hit undo and redo some lines occasionally. In AP it is obvious because it is not stabilized. There are a lot of folk who pay for plugins/programs like "Lazy Nezumi" in Windows that work exclusively as a brush stabilizer because it's not perfect. Other people have mentioned having issues with Huion/other brands as well, and when Windows Ink was introduced, that really complicated the compatibility and performance of certain tablets. It's hard to figure out which is to blame because there is so much that happens between the tablet and the software that can really mess up pen performance.

2 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Да, для меня шаткость прерывистая, но во внешних программах это не слишком проблематично (за исключением случая OneNote), за исключением того, что мне приходится удалять и отменять некоторые строки изредка. В AP это очевидно, потому что оно не стабилизируется. Есть много людей, которые платят за плагины / программы, такие как «Lazy Nezumi» в Windows, которые работают исключительно как стабилизатор кисти, потому что это не идеально. Другие люди упомянули о проблемах с Huion / другими брендами, а также, когда Windows Ink была представлена, это действительно осложняло совместимость и производительность некоторых планшетов. Трудно понять, что виновато, потому что между планшетом и программным обеспечением так много, что может действительно испортить производительность пера.

I do not see a reason to pay for such decisions. Just extremely difficult to switch from paintstorm to affinity photo. After all, paintstorm stabilization of brushes and work with them is realized almost perfect. And turning to Affinity Photo work with braking brushes, buggy pipettes and no post processing of a stroke is extremely difficult to force yourself to work in it. Yes it is not critical, but I believe that you can and should bring the brush to work, make a normal stabilization of the brushes, a correctly working pipette. With the processing of photos from Affinity Photo, everything is pretty good, but here's for digital painting, while this program is poorly fit, although the potential of the program is huge.

10 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Are we sure this is not a Wacom issue? Not saying that Affinity can't improve their brush stabilization. This can definitely be improved upon 4 sho and there is definitely a lower quality to brush work in AP. OneNote looks very similar as it has no stabilizers.

I'm on an Intuos4 and tbh, I get shaky lines outside AP. I am considering backdating my drivers a few years back, because so many people have complained about Wacom's drivers having caused more issues with shakiness (particularly Cintiq users). It's making me hold back on upgrading my tablet. Though this is only the Intuos' and Cintiq I've heard issues with.

YMMV

Edit: By the way, I'll be glad to participate in any troubleshooting/brush engine testing mega-thread. Just PM me. Maybe we can help to get this issue resolved.

This is exactly the same respone as every before. I don't want to be rude debraspicher. I know you want to help and i appreciate it... but have you read what i wrote ??

After checking dozens of drivers, on different systems where only AP did not work correctly, you still asking "are we sure it is not a Wacom problem?".... So what esle people can do to be at last sure whether it is or not a Wacom problem? This is becoming ridiculous. It is an AP problem because AP is the only one that does not handle Wacom properly. The alternative statement would be that all ofther softwares (which handle Wacom well) are doing it wrong. Does poeple truly believe in the latter ?

To be honest most people who had a Wacom drivers problem was those who did autoupdate from Wacom Desktop Center. It does not make a clean driver installation and have caused many problems over the years. I have no clue why they still didn't fix the auto aupdate, people just go with that and then complain (justified) to Wacom that new driver is broken. I did that too couple years ago, but after that i always do a clean install of new drivers and have never had problem again.

7 hours ago, Rafal said:

This is exactly the same respone as every before. I don't want to be rude debraspicher. I know you want to help and i appreciate it... but have you read what i wrote ??

After checking dozens of drivers, on different systems where only AP did not work correctly, you still asking "are we sure it is not a Wacom problem?".... So what esle people can do to be at last sure whether it is or not a Wacom problem? This is becoming ridiculous. It is an AP problem because AP is the only one that does not handle Wacom properly. The alternative statement would be that all ofther softwares (which handle Wacom well) are doing it wrong. Does poeple truly believe in the latter ?

To be honest most people who had a Wacom drivers problem was those who did autoupdate from Wacom Desktop Center. It does not make a clean driver installation and have caused many problems over the years. I have no clue why they still didn't fix the auto aupdate, people just go with that and then complain (justified) to Wacom that new driver is broken. I did that too couple years ago, but after that i always do a clean install of new drivers and have never had problem again.

Calm down. I said I agree with you there is an issue with AP as it relates to tablets, but I had also read that Wacom has had issues for at least a few years with their drivers (and this may even be Windows Ink, not Wacom) and this as across many different systems and it may be affecting things in some sense.

I also said if you wanted to open a mega-thread to help troubleshoot these issues and see if we can all compare and contrast performance on the brush engine, I was game. It is something we can keep alive until it is resolved.

8 hours ago, AsFrog said:

I do not see a reason to pay for such decisions. Just extremely difficult to switch from paintstorm to affinity photo. After all, paintstorm stabilization of brushes and work with them is realized almost perfect. And turning to Affinity Photo work with braking brushes, buggy pipettes and no post processing of a stroke is extremely difficult to force yourself to work in it. Yes it is not critical, but I believe that you can and should bring the brush to work, make a normal stabilization of the brushes, a correctly working pipette. With the processing of photos from Affinity Photo, everything is pretty good, but here's for digital painting, while this program is poorly fit, although the potential of the program is huge.

I agree, I wouldn't pay for them either.

Two questions:

1. I purchased Photo from the Windows Store. Therefore I have no product key. So I cannot install and try betas? :$
  2. I have a key for Designer though - will betas install in a separate directory so I can use it for test, but also use the stable version for production work?

Thanks

EDIT:

1. Found answer (which is currently no) to this here
  2. Still not sure about 2?

7 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

1. I have a key for Designer though - will betas install in a separate directory so I can use it for test, but also use the stable version for production work?

EDIT:

1. Still not sure about 2?

The beta version installs to a seperate directory and works along with the release version. You can tell them apart by a small 'beta' sign in the icon.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil