You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo workbook (Opening and Saving Images)

Hi, I have purchased the Affinity photo workbook and so far I think its great. I have just a couple of criticisms that I hope someone will help me with. The first is on page 86 titled Opening and Saving images. It says how to open an image but there is no mention of saving an image. Secondly in the index there is no link to saving images. I have looked at various videos and find the explanations confusing.

Can someone point me in the right directions because there seems various ways to save a photo and I really want to understand this action.

Thanks

Mikep

Hmm good question, don't have that book so can't tell if they maybe missed to include those parts (?). - However the book creators should be able to tell you here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi mikep,

I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I'm still waiting my own copy of the Workbook so i don't know what says there (or what's missing). What do you want to know specifically? What videos are you referring to in particular that you found confusing? Can you post the links?

53 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi mikep,

I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I'm still waiting my own copy of the Workbook so i don't know what says there (or what's missing). What do you want to know specifically? What videos are you referring to in particular that you found confusing? Can you post the links?

Hi MEB,

This is one link I cant find the other Beginners - Opening & Saving (Affinity Photo). I just want a clear understanding of how a save an image after I have made adjustments. I am a beginner as I am sure you know. We have made contact before and I appreciate your help. I was waiting for the workbook (which is great), but having a chapter heading "Opening and Saving images" and nothing about saving is very disappointing to say the least. As I said in my post in the index at the back of the book there is no link to saving images, I think this is a big mistake, or maybe it is hidden in another part of the book I have not read so far.

Thanks again for replying

Mikep

1 hour ago, MEB said:

I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I'm still waiting my own copy of the Workbook so i don't know what says there (or what's missing).

For your benefit MEB I will quote exactly what my book, delivered ages ago (:P) says about saving under Opening and Saving Images   "    " 

A bit 'minimalist' ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

5 hours ago, mikep said:

Can someone point me in the right directions because there seems various ways to save a photo and I really want to understand this action.

If you open an existing file, like a JPEG, and go File > Save As you have the option to save the image as a native Affinity Photo file with the .afphoto extension. This allows text and adjustment layers, filters and so forth (which a JPEG wont). You will need to navigate to a folder and give the file a name, i.e. mypic so it will become mypic.afphoto  the original file will be untouched.

If you edit the original JPEG file, if it is a simple pixel edit, like a crop, File > Save will save it back over the original JPEG file, overwriting/updating the file as you would expect.

If you make a non-pixel edit, like adding text or using an adjustment layer or filter, you will be prompted to either "Flatten" the image or "Save As".

save.png.af94977759680debbafa745ce3c3446c.png

Flatten (Save Flattened) will save the file back as the original JPEG, flattening any text or layers so it becomes a single layer JPEG, saved with the original name (overwriting the original). Save As... opens up the filer window and you will need to navigate to a folder and give the file a name, such as mypic. It will become mypic.afphoto and the original file will be untouched.

If you create a new document, either File > Save or File > Save As (no difference between the two if creating a file for the first time) will create a new .afphoto file. As before, you will need to navigate to a folder and give the file a name, such as mypic and it will become mypic.afphoto

Once the file has been saved once (mypic.afphoto) pressing File > Save at any time will update the edited file on disc. If instead of File > Save, you go File > Save As it will allow you to create a duplicate file. Again, navigate to a folder and give it a name, such as mypic2 and it will become mypic2.afphoto  This is a useful option if you want to make a variation of the original.document. You will end up with two files, mypic.afphoto  and  mypic2.afphoto

File > Export is how you save your document as a JPEG for the web or as a PDF for print and so forth.

19 hours ago, toltec said:

If you open an existing file, like a JPEG, and go File > Save As you have the option to save the image as a native Affinity Photo file with the .afphoto extension. This allows text and adjustment layers, filters and so forth (which a JPEG wont). You will need to navigate to a folder and give the file a name, i.e. mypic so it will become mypic.afphoto  the original file will be untouched.

If you edit the original JPEG file, if it is a simple pixel edit, like a crop, File > Save will save it back over the original JPEG file, overwriting/updating the file as you would expect.

If you make a non-pixel edit, like adding text or using an adjustment layer or filter, you will be prompted to either "Flatten" the image or "Save As".

save.png.af94977759680debbafa745ce3c3446c.png

Flatten (Save Flattened) will save the file back as the original JPEG, flattening any text or layers so it becomes a single layer JPEG, saved with the original name (overwriting the original). Save As... opens up the filer window and you will need to navigate to a folder and give the file a name, such as mypic. It will become mypic.afphoto and the original file will be untouched.

If you create a new document, either File > Save or File > Save As (no difference between the two if creating a file for the first time) will create a new .afphoto file. As before, you will need to navigate to a folder and give the file a name, such as mypic and it will become mypic.afphoto

Once the file has been saved once (mypic.afphoto) pressing File > Save at any time will update the edited file on disc. If instead of File > Save, you go File > Save As it will allow you to create a duplicate file. Again, navigate to a folder and give it a name, such as mypic2 and it will become mypic2.afphoto  This is a useful option if you want to make a variation of the original.document. You will end up with two files, mypic.afphoto  and  mypic2.afphoto

File > Export is how you save your document as a JPEG for the web or as a PDF for print and so forth.

Thanks for your reply, I guess I must be thick! I am sorry I am struggling with this. What I want to do is take a raw file make adjustments, develop it and then make various other adjustments in the photo persona. I want to save the image complete with all its adjustments intact. If I then want to go back and alter any adjustments I want to be able to open the file make an alteration and then save again. Sorry but I am finding this area very complicated. Mikep

• Staff

Hi mikep,

The best way to keep all features intact (adjustments, live filters, layer structure etc) is to save the file in Affinity's native file format .afphoto.

To do it go to menu File ▸ Save As (if you are saving it for the first time), give the file and name and select the location to where you want to save it. If you need to edit it later just open the file, edit it as you see fit and go to File ▸ Save. 

Sometimes you may want to pass the file to someone else for viewing purposes, post the image on a social network or just send it by e-mail to someone you known etc. In those cases you don't send the original .afphoto file itself - not only it's quite large since it contains all your edits/project data, it wasn´t also designed for sharing or storing purposes. Additionally the other person may not have Affinity Photo and so is not able to see/open it. For those cases open the afphoto file then go to menu File ▸ Export and choose an appropriate format for what you want to do. For sending attached on an e-mail JPG is more adequate, for print you may want to export as a TIFF or PDF etc etc.

• Staff
13 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Surely the information given by @toltec should have been in the workbook!

The Affinity Photo Workbook does not have all features explained one by one, this is what the help is for, and the 200+ videos cover the basics like this. It's more about when to use tools and techniques than how to open or save files, as you can see.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

36 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi mikep,

The best way to keep all features intact (adjustments, live filters, layer structure etc) is to save the file in Affinity's native file format .afphoto.

To do it go to menu File ▸ Save As (if you are saving it for the first time), give the file and name and select the location to where you want to save it. If you need to edit it later just open the file, edit it as you see fit and go to File ▸ Save. 

Sometimes you may want to pass the file to someone else for viewing purposes, post the image on a social network or just send it by e-mail to someone you known etc. In those cases you don't send the original .afphoto file itself - not only it's quite large since it contains all your edits/project data, it wasn´t also designed for sharing or storing purposes. Additionally the other person may not have Affinity Photo and so is not able to see/open it. For those cases open the afphoto file then go to menu File ▸ Export and choose an appropriate format for what you want to do. For sending attached on an e-mail JPG is more adequate, for print you may want to export as a TIFF or PDF etc etc.

Thanks MEB, I think I have got it now. Will print your reply out and put it in the workbook. Thanks again Mikep

17 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

The Affinity Photo Workbook does not have all features explained one by one, this is what the help is for, and the 200+ videos cover the basics like this. It's more about when to use tools and techniques than how to open or save files, as you can see.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I hear what you say Patrick, but the book has a heading "Opening and Saving images", and there is nothing about saving. As this is a very important step I think it is a very bad omission from the book. As a complete beginner this step should be in the workbook. The book its self is excellent, but missing this important area is a mistake. Mikep

42 minutes ago, mikep said:

Thanks for your reply, I guess I must be thick! I am sorry I am struggling with this. What I want to do is take a raw file make adjustments, develop it and then make various other adjustments in the photo persona. I want to save the image complete with all its adjustments intact. If I then want to go back and alter any adjustments I want to be able to open the file make an alteration and then save again. Sorry but I am finding this area very complicated. Mikep

As MEB says, load your RAW  file, make the adjustments and do anything you want. Then go File > Save As. Navigate the normal Windows filer to the folder of your choice and save the file with a name of your choice.

All your adjustments will be saved with the new file which will be an .afphoto file. Note that the original raw file will still be there on disc, where it was, untouched. You will now have two files on disc, the original .raw and the new .afphoto file which will have all your developments and adjustments.

Reload the new .afphoto file and all your adjustments will be there, intact. Make a new adjustment or a filter and go File > Save. It will be saved with the amendments. This time, because it was already an .afphoto file you save, not save as.

Incidentally, the undo history is not saved when you save the file, so once you save it, close it and reload you can't press Ctrl Z to go back.

You can change this if you want. If you go to File > Save History with Document, and tick that, all your undo history will be saved too. Be warned the the file size will be bigger!

• Staff
4 minutes ago, mikep said:

I hear what you say Patrick, but the book has a heading "Opening and Saving images", and there is nothing about saving. As this is a very important step I think it is a very bad omission from the book. As a complete beginner this step should be in the workbook. The book its self is excellent, but missing this important area is a mistake. Mikep

I really should have read the thread more carefully, my sincere apologies to the contributors. I have informed the documentation team, who say they had been told.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

As MEB says, load your RAW  file, make the adjustments and do anything you want. Then go File > Save As. Navigate the normal Windows filer to the folder of your choice and save the file with a name of your choice.

All your adjustments will be saved with the new file which will be an .afphoto file. Note that the original raw file will still be there on disc, where it was, untouched. You will now have two files on disc, the original .raw and the new .afphoto file which will have all your developments and adjustments.

Reload the new .afphoto file and all your adjustments will be there, intact. Make a new adjustment or a filter and go File > Save. It will be saved with the amendments. This time, because it was already an .afphoto file you save, not save as.

Incidentally, the undo history is not saved when you save the file, so once you save it, close it and reload you can't press Ctrl Z to go back.

You can change this if you want. If you go to File > Save History with Document, and tick that, all your undo history will be saved too. Be warned the the file size will be bigger!

Thanks Toltec, Think I have it now appreciate your help. Mikep