I'm working with a company that utilizes Adobe Illustrator - but of course, I don't use AI. I use Affinity Designer.

I assured the design team that I'd be able to import their AI files, edit, and then export to AI, and the process would be seamless.

However, it doesn't appear that this is the case, because whenever I import the AI file into AD, half imports correctly, and half does not.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a specific way I need to import/export AI files into AD that I'm not aware of?

Collaboration between disparate teams ought to be using the same software.

That said, they need to be saving with the PDF compatibility option. That some material is coming in says that they are likely doing so. However, the PDF portion of an AI file is limited to only the items that are fully on an artboard. This could be a cause for not everything coming into AD. Might not be. If you had a copy of AI that would confirm or deny that possibility.

If this is something you would like to be checked this weekend, if you uploaded a file that is not coming in correctly and PM'd me a download link I could take a look. The file would be fully deleted once looked at.

Take care, Mike

20 hours ago, MikeW said:

Collaboration between disparate teams ought to be using the same software.

That said, they need to be saving with the PDF compatibility option. That some material is coming in says that they are likely doing so. However, the PDF portion of an AI file is limited to only the items that are fully on an artboard. This could be a cause for not everything coming into AD. Might not be. If you had a copy of AI that would confirm or deny that possibility.

If this is something you would like to be checked this weekend, if you uploaded a file that is not coming in correctly and PM'd me a download link I could take a look. The file would be fully deleted once looked at.

Take care, Mike

Mike, Thanks for your explanation.

I uploaded to GD and shot the link over to you in a PM. Thanks so much for your assistance.