You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If adapted lens used, unable to choose correct manufacturer & lens model for lens database corrections

Please allow the user to manually choose the manufacturer and lens model as Adobe does in Adobe Camera Raw. This lets the photographer select the correct lens in the lens correction database when the photographer uses a completely manual lens for which the RAW file will not have the data for manufacturer, lens model, f/stop etc. Similarly, when using electronic lens adapters such as the Metabones adapter for Canon EOS lenses on Sony alpha series mirrorless cameras bodies (e.g. a7r2), the Raw file EXIF data has the wrong manufacture and lens model because the electronic adapter must make the Canon lens appear to be a Sony lens model of the same focal length and f/stop.

For example, if the widely used Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM is attached via a Metabones adapter to a Sony a7r2 body, the EXIF data records the lens as a Sony "24-70mm F2.8 G SSM II". The other EXIF data for focal length the zoom was at and exposure f/stop are correct. In Adobe Camera Raw's lens corrections, I can simply select the Lens Profile Correction for the "Canon EOS 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM" and have the proper lens corrections applied. Similarly, if I use a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 completely manual, no electronics, lens on a Sony a7r2 body, I can select that Lens Profile Correction in Adobe Camera Raw despite the lack of any EXIF lens data in the Raw file.

At present, the only way to have Affinity Photo Develop apply the correct LensFun database corrections is to use ExifTool and change the data in the Raw file before Affinity opens the file. This is both time-consuming and I would rather not tamper with a proprietary Raw file format.

Thank you.

Sorry, but my opinion is insert/correct informations to original file.

It is every time right (you do not have to remember which lens you shot at that time), and if use batch operation on more files (i use ExifToolGUI), it is not even time-consuming.

But manual assignments would certainly be appropriate.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.