voitek

Glitch when copying any selection in Photo

I've a weird glitch in Photo when I try to copy something selected with the Selection Brush Tool. Everytime when the selected  image is copied and moved to another area it leaves "ghost pixels" and the selection is also losing pixels everytime it's copied.

I understand this when the selection is not perfect so it leaves behind some unselected pixels, but why does it happen every time? I've never seen anything like this in Photoshop.

The problem is visualised in 0:30 of the attached clip:

I just found out that the problem also exists when using any kind of selection.
"Ghost pixels" happen everytime after pressing ctrl+c to copy the selection.

Do those ghost pixels disappear if you zoom in or out? It looks like a screen redraw problem and could be particular to your system...

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

I managed to duplicate something that might be what you're describing, but I'm pretty sure it was merely the result of not having made the selection complete enough. Have you tried zooming in further to verify exactly what you have selected?

Also, it might help if you prepared an image to the point of making the selection, saved it, and uploaded it so we could look at the actual image, rather than only having a movie.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

They don't disappear as you can see that in the second video. They are also visible after exporting the file, so it's definitely not just a visual glitch.

Exported file:

ssasf.png

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I managed to duplicate something that might be what you're describing, but I'm pretty sure it was merely the result of not having made the selection complete enough. Have you tried zooming in further to verify exactly what you have selected?

Also, it might help if you prepared an image to the point of making the selection, saved it, and uploaded it so we could look at the actual image, rather than only having a movie.

It doesn't really matter what image I use, because it happens every time. I used this image in the second clip https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-beautiful-blond-casual-355164/

I am aware that in the first video the pixels left behind are due to selection not being perfect, but that doesnt explain why does it happen in the other case when I select with the lasso tool.

I tried many ways to replicate that behavior with all three versions I have and I could not.

I can replicate it everytime on any version of Photo. Happened in beta, happened after the Windows release and happens on current version.

This is exactly what I do on the second clip:

1. Place an image.

2. Rasterize the image so you can copy any part of it.

3. Make a selection.

4. Copy the selection and paste it to make it on a new layer.

5. Move the layer with selected part to some plain white background.

6. Press Ctrl+C to copy it (don't paste it)

7. Move the selection somewhere else. Now it leaves "ghost pixels" where it was before

I can recreate the problem

But only if I do this

After copying and moving the selection everything is Ok

But if after I move the selection, I then select the background layer then go back and select the selection then move it again I will get the ghost pixels

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

OK I was able to reproduce it. It's the second "Ctrl-C" (copy) that leaves the traces. It does that in the release version ".93" but not in the Beta ".94" version. So it's probably something that has been fixed.

btw, you don't have to rasterize the image for this to happen.

Well, now at least I know that it's not a problem with my PC and it's a replicable glitch in the code. Please read this devs :)

Edit: I can confirm that this has been fixed in the latest beta. Can't replicate it there!

20 hours ago, voitek said:

Edit: I can confirm that this has been fixed in the latest beta. Can't replicate it there!

I'm actually still seeing this in the beta. I'll get it passed to development so they can take a proper look at it, to be sure. 

34 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm actually still seeing this in the beta. I'll get it passed to development so they can take a proper look at it, to be sure. 

Yeah, I was finally able to replicate this even in the beta. 

HOWEVER

I've noticed that in the beta this doesn't happen when I create a new document and place the image I want to select and copy.

The "ghost pixels" appear when I directly open an image, then rasterize it, then select and copy.

Too spooky for me.