keerah

Surface Pen right click isn't recognized, touches are still not distinguished from strokes

Designer 1.6.1.93

Surface Pen right click doesn't work at all, so I have no way to call right click menu with the pen. It slows down everything.

Touches are still equal to pen strokes, this is NOT right, please make the app distinguish them from pen strokes, cause each touch paints things and it destroys the experience. Moreover touch can add more functionality by performing operations of for example Move/select tool while you're actually using any other mode, more convenient, more functional, isn't it?

Thank you

Hi keerah

I shall make sure the pen right click not functioning is reported. As for the touch, are you referring to more the palm rejection?If so perhaps we need a touch for gestures only option like we have on the iPad

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Totally agree. There needs to be some major optimization for the Surface line, especially the Surface Pen. Can't use the Surface Pen with the Surface Book if you have the keyboard detatched, and using the pen with it attatched is a cramped experience. Really need this addressed.

Yesterday I've bought Affinity Photo and have the same problem, no right-click menu on pen! Thats disappointing

+ dots problem, which was not present in Designer

Just let us disable touch painting

I should also add that I am not on Surface Book, I have an Acer convertible, but it uses same N-trig digitizer + pen

And I think right click menu worked before Windows Fall Creators Update. They changed a lot Pen related stuff in it

I would love it if you would make the Surface experience more in line with the touch-friendly iPad experience. At a bare minimum, make it possible to disable painting with the finger. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:56 PM, stewartdesign said:

I would love it if you would make the Surface experience more in line with the touch-friendly iPad experience. At a bare minimum, make it possible to disable painting with the finger. 

We have no plans to re-create the iPad UI on Surface devices right now (in terms of UI, are they a desktop, are they a tablet, or both?). However, disabling touch input is something that we could add to preferences (I believe the iPad version has a 'Touch for gestures only' option).

God, isn't it obvious yet, that no one wants to draw with fingers (except kids perhaps).
All we need is to disable finger strokes, but have the ability to use the menus and buttons with touch, this is the main benefit of any pen+touch device.
How many years will it take for developers to realize it?

8 hours ago, keerah said:

God, isn't it obvious yet, that no one wants to draw with fingers (except kids perhaps).
All we need is to disable finger strokes, but have the ability to use the menus and buttons with touch, this is the main benefit of any pen+touch device.
How many years will it take for developers to realize it?

People have touch devices, but don't have pens available on the device, so they will use their fingers for input. Not every Windows user has a Surface Pro device. For instance, my Dell laptop has a touch screen, but no pen.

FYI, I'm the lead dev for Windows, and I wrote the Surface Pen / touch input code.

Hi Mark,

I was referred here after requesting an updated Affinity Designer (and Photo) UI.

I did mention the iPad UI as an example but I was thinking more of the Project experience rather than asking for a total design.

I'm not suggesting that desktop users dumb down their methods.

On opening AD for Windows 10 I am suggesting that, if possible, could the user be sent to the recent and currently open projects visually rather than a document list.

I appreciate that not every Windows user has, or even wants, a touch or pen based experience for me the request is to ease workflow and organisation of multiple projects running concurrently. 

Regards

Mike

On 7/22/2018 at 9:12 AM, Mark Ingram said:

We have no plans to re-create the iPad UI on Surface devices right now (in terms of UI, are they a desktop, are they a tablet, or both?). However, disabling touch input is something that we could add to preferences (I believe the iPad version has a 'Touch for gestures only' option).

Hi Mark is there possibility to add few buttons in :view/customise tools  for function like undo/redo or short cut to SHIFT and ALT as they most used keys while working , that wouldn't be major change to UI but it will help a lot touch screen users.

thanks!