You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I installed AP today and initially got a message about needing DirectX 10 but that AP had fallen back to some other graphics level. This message appeared the first two or three times I ran the software. I started investigating. My system has quite an old graphics card (NVidia GeForce 310) but according to dxdiag is running DirectX11 although the driver is version 9.18.xx - does this mean I'm actually using DirectX9?

While investigating, I restarted the software a few times. Now the program starts without any message. How do I figure out exactly what it is doing or needs wrt graphics hardware?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi raichea,

Affinity Photo requires a video card that support a minimum of DirectX 10 with Windows requiring to have DirectX 11 installed, can you please run the utility dxdiag and save the information and send me the created txt file as you video card fully supports DirectX 10 

• Staff

Thank you for the text file, I can see that you video card driver is 4 years old, Nvidia released a final driver update for the card last year and one of the updates was to optimise DirectX and this can be download directly from Nvidia using this link,

Please install this driver and let me know if your get the DirectX error message again.

Thanks for the pointer to the new driver, which I've now installed... I obviously hadn't checked for updates for a while!

The DirectX error message doesn't appear now. However, it had stopped appearing with the older driver too, as I mentioned previously.

The dxdiag output for the older driver did say DirectX11 was running so why would the message have appeared the first few runs?

• Staff

This can be very confusing as the DirectX 11 that appears on the report is the version of DirectX that Windows has installed rather than the version that the video card is able to run, the version of DirectX that the video card can run is shown in the Display 1 tab in the Drivers section under the Feature Levels