You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New document setting - DPI

Enjoying this new program - it’s crashed once or twice but that’s to be expected in a beta.  Minor note in the new document feature.  You provide a drop down menu specifying a DPI setting for a new document.  I think what you mean is PPI. The terms seem to be viewed as interchangeable these days, but they are very different terms and mean different things.  

DPI means dots per inch,  which is a printer setting for printers that feature variable nozzle settings. That’s it.  It’s not a setting that is embedded into an image. There is no DPI setting in Photoshop anywhere.  It’s an optional printer setting for the printers that offer variable nozzle settings, and not all of them do. So it's incorrectly supplied as an image feature here.

PPI - pixels per inch - is an instruction for the output device you’re choosing at the end of the process. In and of itself it has no impact on image resolution. 

It’s okay to provide a PPI setting for the document, but leaving DPI in the menu is going to add further confusion to a widely misunderstood term.

If you could change it to PPI in a future release it would be helpful - I teach this stuff and this issue comes up all the time.

I work in the press-press and I'm not sure what you mean about changing the term. DPI is very important for printing. Also I am not sure what you mean when you say it has no effect on image resolution itself. As far as I can tell, it has a big effect on image quality and size.

When referring to a screen, of course, it is PPI, not DPI...

I would like to add that I cannot find the DPI (or PPI..) setting in Document -> Resize Document window. Is it just that it's somewhere else ? If not it would be very important to add it ! One more thing. I would vote for making "bilinear" the default rescaling option.

Thank you for the excellent software, and I'm enjoying the beta.

• 1 year later...

Enjoying this new program - it’s crashed once or twice but that’s to be expected in a beta.  Minor note in the new document feature.  You provide a drop down menu specifying a DPI setting for a new document.  I think what you mean is PPI. The terms seem to be viewed as interchangeable these days, but they are very different terms and mean different things.  

DPI means dots per inch,  which is a printer setting for printers that feature variable nozzle settings. That’s it.  It’s not a setting that is embedded into an image. There is no DPI setting in Photoshop anywhere.  It’s an optional printer setting for the printers that offer variable nozzle settings, and not all of them do. So it's incorrectly supplied as an image feature here.

PPI - pixels per inch - is an instruction for the output device you’re choosing at the end of the process. In and of itself it has no impact on image resolution. 

It’s okay to provide a PPI setting for the document, but leaving DPI in the menu is going to add further confusion to a widely misunderstood term.

If you could change it to PPI in a future release it would be helpful - I teach this stuff and this issue comes up all the time.

I agree, and two years later this has not been corrected.  Someone at Affinity must feel pretty strongly about using the wrong term... besides Ben?

I work in the press-press and I'm not sure what you mean about changing the term. DPI is very important for printing. Also I am not sure what you mean when you say it has no effect on image resolution itself. As far as I can tell, it has a big effect on image quality and size.

When referring to a screen, of course, it is PPI, not DPI...

I would like to add that I cannot find the DPI (or PPI..) setting in Document -> Resize Document window. Is it just that it's somewhere else ? If not it would be very important to add it ! One more thing. I would vote for making "bilinear" the default rescaling option.

Thank you for the excellent software, and I'm enjoying the beta.

Yes, I agree that DPI is absolutely critical to printing, but it's not the appropriate way to describe a digital file.  A 300 PPI image printed at 300 DPI is going to look significantly worse than a 300 PPI image printed at 1200 DPI.

Yes, DPI is critical for printing but it's not a feature of the image.  It's a setting for the printer that is separate from the image itself.  The only thing that determines resolution in a digital image is the number of pixels it contains. Everything else is a variable after the fact.  

Affinity pointed me here to discuss the issue.  Now, I'm starting to wonder why.  If users have been discussing it for 2 years, is the message, "Keep pushing, and we'll fix it", or, "We know it's wrong and we're never going to change it."?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.