You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with choosing complementary colours

I'm new to the pratical side of design - having previously worked in positions where I've paid people for graphic design, I now want to be able to do it myself, to a degree.

I remember seeing designers use the colour wheel (I think) on Photoshop to find colours which complement the colours in a logo and I'm wondering if Affinity Designer has a similar tool. For example, I have a two colour logo. Can I input the colour refs for these into Designer and have it suggest a palette which will work nicely with them?

Thank you in advance.

You could make up a custom Palette and use Chords.

Use the hamburger menu on the right of the swatches panel to create a new palette with just your two colours

Click on the little artists palette icon in the middle to move the colour to a swatch.

palette.png.8c2a623847a380d28cd313a50188215b.png

Right click on either swatch and Add Chord to Swatch.

chords.jpg.0bb799ed1f06f471a8c4f9b2a44803a6.jpg

You can choose from a bewildering display of choices to make up your new palette.

You can also double click on a colour well to get a larger display and set it to an HSL wheel

wheel.jpg.d03845401c55bec0ece0cc3868ad9045.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

See this video

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.