You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Drag layers between images

In photoshop it is very convenient to be able to drag a layer from one image and plop it in another open image. I haven't found a way to do that in AP yet. I suppose one could select the right layer, copy, then go to the new document and paste but it is so much easier to see the layer you want in the layer list, grab it and drag to the new document having it create a copy of the layer there.

I've tried various things and ended up with frustrating results (it not creating a new layer but 'pasting' the image into an existing layer for one). Perhaps I'm just going about it wrong. Is there a way to do this drag and drop layer procedure with AP?

• Staff

Hi Belmont,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Which OS are you using? On Mac you can already do this if you switch to Separated mode (menu Window ▸ Separated Mode). Just drag the layer from the Layers panel over the second document window.

On Windows, although it's already possible to detach the document tabs from the top to get separated document windows, it's not yet possible to drag layers between them.

59 minutes ago, Belmont said:

Wouldn't you know, I'm on Windows.:(

Is this something that is planned?

You can copy and paste layers between images

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• 2 years later...

Oh my.  I finally found this answer after figuring there HAD to be something I was missing.  Why couldn't I just drag a layer from one document onto the tab of another open document like you easily can do in Photoshop??  I just tried using the "Separated Mode" workaround and must say this is the most clumsy way of doing the same thing that takes twice as long.  Please just make it work the same as it does in PS.  That's all anyone wants.  Unfortunately, it's these little frustrations that have prevented me from making the switch permanently to Affinity products.  One day when I have time I will take the time to write them all out in hopes they will be addressed.