You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi very new to Affinity recently upgraded from Serif Draw  - I have some glitter jpg files that I use as text fills these were easily imported into the swatch board as textures in the previous Serif version, but I cannot work out how to add them using Affinity?  Whenever I try it is only searching for Affinity files and not allowing me to add jpg files? 

Any ideas please? 

As far as I know, you can only import .afpalette files into the Affinity Swatches panel. However, you can use the Gradient Tool (Affinity Photo) or Fill Tool (Affinity Designer) set to Type: Bitmap on the Context toolbar to fill text or other shapes with a jpg, png, or other raster image texture:

bitmap.png.8e230c8664fd43b0f68c9e31dd7a4a3c.png

The attached Bitmap example.zip contains an Affinity Designer document & the small jpg file I used to fill a text sample with its bitmap texture:

5a23e5ee54bc0_sometext.png.b2f1c92a0fcda8754db5ec725ae3449f.png

(A larger, higher resolution raster image file would produce better results, but this should do for demo purposes.)

If you want, you could select the text or whatever object you have filled with your bitmap texture & add it to the Swatches panel (into an application, document, or system palette) but I prefer to just use the bitmap fill method on an ad hoc basis whenever I want a flexible way to map the raster image onto an object.

Edited by R C-R
fixed image formatting

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 03/12/2017 at 0:03 PM, R C-R said:

As far as I know, you can only import .afpalette files into the Affinity Swatches panel. However, you can use the Gradient Tool (Affinity Photo) or Fill Tool (Affinity Designer) set to Type: Bitmap on the Context toolbar to fill text or other shapes with a jpg, png, or other raster image texture:

bitmap.png.8e230c8664fd43b0f68c9e31dd7a4a3c.png

The attached Bitmap example.zip contains an Affinity Designer document & the small jpg file I used to fill a text sample with its bitmap texture:

5a23e5ee54bc0_sometext.png.b2f1c92a0fcda8754db5ec725ae3449f.png

(A larger, higher resolution raster image file would produce better results, but this should do for demo purposes.)

If you want, you could select the text or whatever object you have filled with your bitmap texture & add it to the Swatches panel (into an application, document, or system palette) but I prefer to just use the bitmap fill method on an ad hoc basis whenever I want a flexible way to map the raster image onto an object.

This will work  thank you 

If you create a shape first (any shape will do), select the Fill tool

fill.png.107fb06bd6da72a33391b550615d3654.png

On the Context toolbar, (third menu bar from the top) under Type, choose Bitmap and load your texture from the filer.

bitmap.png.c14781fb1df5baaabd0c896ccd894409.png

Right click on the shape and choose, Add To Swatches > From Fill.  That will add your texture to the Swatches panel. Repeat this to add as many textures as you want.

It would be a good idea to make a new palette first. Make an Application Palette and your texture will appear in any document you open. To make an Application Palette, click on the hamburger icon to the right of the Swatches panel in the Studio and choose Add Application Palette. 

pallette.png.d147fb1b6955c3b38b8fa40124d83df4.png

A Document Palette only creates a palette that will appear in the current document, an Application Palette creates a palette that will appear in all documents. (should you be wondering ;))

Your new palette will appear in the palettes dropdown menu. The swatch will show a mini thumbnail.

drop.png.f45060083f3a77a98209fc23c55da63c.png

Go back to the menu and Rename Palette to give it a sensible name, like "Textures". You can Export the palette to save it so you only have to do this once, or want to use on a different PC etc.

To fill anything, text or shape, just select the appropriate palette and click on the swatch. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.