You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distort / warp feature affinity designer

My concern with the lack of warp/distort after all these years is that there may be a fundamental weakness in the foundation of the tool that doesn't allow for a nondestructive manipulation of the artwork - that it breaks the image - and to do so will require a ground-up change to the structure of the file. Because lets face it, warp/distort has been a part of just about every other vector app since day one.

I appreciate the Affinity tools, the well-thought-out UX and the power behind the related apps, but my work requires contextual placement of art in a fast time frame. To lose a feature that's been around for over 25 years is hard to understand.

My concern with the lack of warp/distort after all these years is that there may be a fundamental weakness in the foundation of the tool that doesn't allow for a nondestructive manipulation of the artwork - that it breaks the image - and to do so will require a ground-up change to the structure of the file. Because lets face it, warp/distort has been a part of just about every other vector app since day one.

I appreciate the Affinity tools, the well-thought-out UX and the power behind the related apps, but my work requires contextual placement of art in a fast time frame. To lose a feature that's been around for over 25 years is hard to understand.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2019 at 7:20 AM, Knute5 said:

Because lets face it, warp/distort has been a part of just about every other vector app since day one.

This is wrong.

This functionality was only added to Illustrator in version 10, released nearly 14 years after version 1.0.

CorelDRAW added its "envelope tool" in version 2, released about 2 years after version 1, but that isn't quite a mesh distortion in the same sense...

Inkscape's first release was version 0.35, and their "live path effects" were not added until 0.46, released over 4 years later.  (Illustrator only had their envelope distortion about 2 years before Inkscape's initial release.)

etc...

11 hours ago, fde101 said:

This is wrong.

This functionality was only added to Illustrator in version 10, released nearly 14 years after version 1.0.

CorelDRAW added its "envelope tool" in version 2, released about 2 years after version 1, but that isn't quite a mesh distortion in the same sense...

Inkscape's first release was version 0.35, and their "live path effects" were not added until 0.46, released over 4 years later.  (Illustrator only had their envelope distortion about 2 years before Inkscape's initial release.)

etc...

There you go.

Sorry, maybe it's just me but I don't get all the people "demanding" tools in a first edition that other developers took years to implement.

Yes, it's nice to have but understand that implementing tools well costs a lot time and effort.

You get a lot for the price the software costs and a lot of features are added for free. Some other developers will only "fix" things in a payed update/upgrade.

There's so many people "demanding" new features that the problem is what to implement first. Everybody thinks their requested tool has priority...

Just be reasonable...

Sorry, maybe it's just me but I don't get all the people "demanding" tools in a first edition that other developers took years to implement.

A nice sentiment, but that isn't how the world works, in any respect, in any field, in any competitive situation, in any arena. If I was less excited about finding a competitor to Adobe, I would have been better about reading the fine print. Somewhere, it would have surely said that this is a pay-to-beta.

At least Avis tried harder. Affinity Designer can only seem to promise to get there eventually, maybe, one day, who knows, but without that pesky subscription fee. 

Great.

I'm using this platform why? I chose to dip my running shows in a bucket of mud right before the big race to save a few bucks? Really? This is the value proposition that I fell for?

Yes, it's nice to have but understand that implementing tools well costs a lot time and effort.

Oh, but when you say you're an illustrator killer — or at the very least a legitimate competitor — most prospective customers think you're talking about Illustrator in 2019. If your competing against Illustrator 2002, well nevermind, because Affinity Designer is still too late — Distortion and Warping (among a coterie of tolls Designer can't sniff) have existed there since 2001. 

The only saving grace is now you can not use the various features on an iPad, too.. 

To demonstrate how < moderated > the development of this program is, please refer to the images below. They show what cell phones looked liked in in 2001.

In computer time, Designer was born a dinosaur that had just enough time to look up and see the asteroid. If there was a refund button, I would have already mashed it into the ground.

If anyone wants to dive deeper into this sad exercise of masochism, here's a link to Serif's plans for Affinity Designer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator

They are assuredly on the roadmap to 2030.

dkmb86g_412ckj7dgdc_b-1.jpg

dkmb86g_489nzdrpzdh_b.jpg

dkmb86g_415hkx6tb9h_b.jpg

• Staff

@jstnhllmn

Your post does not follow the basic forum guidelines , also I have moderated the offensive term. We expect more of our forum participants.

As far as I am aware, Serif have never called their products "Illustrator Killer" or "Photoshop Killer" or whatever, we have simply pointed out when third parties have praised us. In doing so we quoted their opinions. So you seem to have a quarrel with them.

I would ask other participants of this thread NOT to respond in kind. Serif are aware of this common request and do not need it debated.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2019 at 5:06 AM, fde101 said:

This is wrong.

etc...

Macromedia Fireworks had it from the beginning in 1997. Although it took Adobe 14 years to plug into V10 that was eighteen years ago. However you want to paint it, it's a fundamental, 101 feature. I love AD in every other way. That it's take this long to implement makes me wonder if there's some foundational issue that makes it difficult for Seriph to deliver.