You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distort / warp feature affinity designer

Dear serif.

I am a logo designer.

I bought affinity designer for logo designing.

Every logo designer needs mockup

But affinity designer doesn't have warp effect so you can't have mockups.

The only way to use mockups is by buying affinity photo (50$).

Dear serif. 

Be sure that i won't pay another $50

And if i didn't get the warp tool in the next update be sure that i will leave this program

• Staff

Hi Ahmed Yasir,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer is relatively recent, there's still features that weren't implemented yet. Although we are working as fast as possible to close these gaps, it will still take same time until we can cover most of the features you may find in other programs. We already have a mesh warp distortion tool in Affinity Designer's roadmap. It should become available in one of the next versions (before version 2.0) as a free update.

• 7 months later...
On 12/1/2017 at 5:19 AM, MEB said:

Hi Ahmed Yasir,

Affinity Designer is relatively recent, there's still features that weren't implemented yet. Although we are working as fast as possible to close these gaps, it will still take same time until we can cover most of the features you may find in other programs. We already have a mesh warp distortion tool in Affinity Designer's roadmap. It should become available in one of the next versions (before version 2.0) as a free update.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your answer, I'm in a similar problem, I purchased affinity photo, I'm using embedded documents to put my illustrations to mugs but the mesh warp tool rasterizes the  embedded document, so I cannot change the illustration in real time and that means I have to warp every design tweak I want to visualize.

Is the a way to warp the embedded document without rasterizing it?

I'm attaching an image so you can see 

images (1).jpeg

On 12/1/2017 at 5:19 PM, MEB said:

Hi Ahmed Yasir,

I really need warp & distort without rasterizing the linking  image . whether it is on Affinity Photo/Designer !!!

• Staff
4 hours ago, juliantentori said:

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your answer, I'm in a similar problem, I purchased affinity photo, I'm using embedded documents to put my illustrations to mugs but the mesh warp tool rasterizes the  embedded document, so I cannot change the illustration in real time and that means I have to warp every design tweak I want to visualize.

Is the a way to warp the embedded document without rasterizing it?

Hi juliantentori,
Unfortunately no. The Mash Warp Tool rasterises the embedded document as you discovered. Currently you can only work non-destructively when performing perspective distortions using the Live Perspective Filter (menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer ▸ Perspective Filter). There's no similar live filter for warp distortions at the moment.

@mesbahworld We are aware these are very useful tools. A Mesh warp/distort tool is already on Designer's roadmap to be implemented during the 1.x cycle of the app as a free update. Hopefully more will come in future versions.

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

We are aware these are very useful tools. A Mesh warp/distort tool is already on Designer's roadmap to be implemented during the 1.x cycle of the app as a free update. Hopefully more will come in future versions

Hi MEB,

You guys are doing great job . Just make sure warp/distort doesn't rasterize placed/linked/embedded images . 

And looking forward for implementing editable text for PSD export .

Thanks

5 hours ago, mesbahworld said:

Hi MEB,

You guys are doing great job . Just make sure warp/distort doesn't rasterize placed/linked/embedded images . 

And looking forward for implementing editable text for PSD export .

Thanks

I found a solution, for a non destructive (not really, but oh well) way of warping, you have to embed the document and record the macro for your particular object, so everytime you change design you apply the macro and voila it's warped.

Why oh why do so many people feel the need to be so aggressive and threatening in their requests demands for features? I very much doubt that being so unpleasant to what is a very responsive company which sells its really good products at amazing prices is going to cause them to drop everything and add your requested demanded feature. What was that saying about honey and vinegar?

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

2 hours ago, juliantentori said:

I found a solution, for a non destructive (not really, but oh well) way of warping, you have to embed the document and record the macro for your particular object, so everytime you change design you apply the macro and voila it's warped.

@juliantentori @MEB

Embedded document or, image won't be the same size & size does matter when you will record as a macros . You won't be able to create or use any mockup this way .

I did create mock up for one of my client this way but specific image size is required .

You can't put all the logo in any mockup this way .

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Curious where this stands. I'm looking for a way to distort text, skew, foreshorten, taper etc. Ideally, while still on a path.   is there a way to treat text like a stroke using pressure?  Other than creating a custom stroke.                               

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 9:53 PM, Phil_rose said:

Why oh why do so many people feel the need to be so aggressive and threatening in their requests demands for features? I very much doubt that being so unpleasant to what is a very responsive company which sells its really good products at amazing prices is going to cause them to drop everything and add your requested demanded feature. What was that saying about honey and vinegar?

Looking back at this request. I really feel I was aggressive, and I wasn't looking at the bright side that we have this great app for 50$ (and most of the time it's on a discount). and serif really deserves an apology from me.

7 hours ago, Ahmed Yasir said:

Looking back at this request. I really feel I was aggressive, and I wasn't looking at the bright side that we have this great app for 50$ (and most of the time it's on a discount). and serif really deserves an apology from me.

Well, thanks for seeing it that way! It does break all rules of the internet, of course (the rule is shout and shout again!) but good for you for being so upfront about it. Hurrah for civility!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

I asked for the same request, almost, in thread I created to have guides you could define yourself (old movie posters with fake 3D style lettering as an example). I simply hope when this is implemented it will be as epic as the rest of the Affinity Suite. Maybe because everything is so flat looking, the demand is not an emergency? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 3:07 AM, MEB said:

Currently you can only work non-destructively when performing perspective distortions using the Live Perspective Filter (menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer ▸ Perspective Filter)

[UPDATED]: This was SUPER-helpful: it allowed me to use Photo to Distort my Designer 300dpi vector art. However, the resulting distorted art does NOT remain in vector form and gets turned into some kind of bitmap(?).

And although I can view the distorted art's outlines (Designer: View > View Mode > Outline), the outlines are def NOT accessible/editable with the Node Tool.

Still, at 300dpi, this fulfills my needs to upload to print-on-demand sites.

Edited by Reid Walley
New feedback from other commentors.

5 hours ago, Reid Walley said:

This was SUPER-helpful: it both allowed me to Perspective Distort my Affinity Designer vector art, AND maintain the art as vector. Best of both worlds :)

Thanks for sharing this

This is not working right for me though it should be really useful. It seems to work sometimes but look at the green square. It falls apart as I distort it. I wondered if it was a video card issue but on export it still looks that was as JPG. 

Thanks for any thoughts.

Phil

untitled.afpub

Untitled_1.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

13 hours ago, Reid Walley said:

This was SUPER-helpful: it both allowed me to Perspective Distort my Affinity Designer vector art, AND maintain the art as vector.

I pretty much doubt that usability, try to export as SVG, EPS and inspect the export.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I pretty much doubt that usability, try to export as SVG, EPS and inspect the export.

Ah, you might be correct. I hadn't thought about an export format beyond my need of a 300dpi PNG for print-on-demand t-shirt printing. The 300dpi PNG that I exported looks slightly more pixelated at the edges of the artwork when I zoom in 8x – compared to a straight Designer-to-PNG export.

12 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

This is not working right for me though it should be really useful. It seems to work sometimes but look at the green square. It falls apart as I distort it. I wondered if it was a video card issue but on export it still looks that was as JPG. 

Thanks for any thoughts.

Phil

untitled.afpub

Untitled_1.jpg

[UPDATE]: I couldn't get my version to fall apart like yours while in Affinity Photo. What's your export format? (I only ever export to PNG for my purposes). Also, the resulting distorted square does NOT maintain editable outlines/edges like it did when first created in Photo.

01 Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.55.11 PM.png

02 Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.52.06 PM.png

03 Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.53.16 PM.png

04 Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.53.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 7.19.51 PM.png

Edited by Reid Walley
New feedback from other commenters.

1 hour ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, if you work with very high pixel density on the warped graphic onto the vector art it should be a pretty good end result, or?

The point is it's unusable for keeping it as a plain vector representation, it's then just a bitmap based warp here nothing more. If you look at the objects nodes you will see that it's nothing build out of vectors then any more.

no_vector_nodes.jpg.199a0c5050b5388f8a88c29180c6add8.jpg

When working with vectors in Designer you want to perform vector based distortions and not treat the whole as raster/bitmaps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

The point is it's unusable for keeping it as a plain vector representation, it's then just a bitmap based warp here nothing more. If you look at the objects nodes you will see that it's nothing build out of vectors then any more.

no_vector_nodes.jpg.199a0c5050b5388f8a88c29180c6add8.jpg

When working with vectors in Designer you want to perform vector based distortions and not treat the whole as raster/bitmaps.

Yep, you're absolutely correct @v_kyr. Distort in Photo does not leave behind vector shapes with nodes, but instead a bitmap of the distorted art.

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 7.19.51 PM.png

Edited by Reid Walley
Uploaded screenshot for clarification.

58 minutes ago, Reid Walley said:

Distort in Photo does not leave behind vector shapes with nodes, but instead a bitmap of the distorted art.

For the future it would be fine to also get real vector based distortion/warp functionality for Designer.

8 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, my point was that if your’re already finished with your vector art, but, you need some complemented warped text or symbols, the warping in pixelmode into Photo persona can be OK if you made it hi-res...

Of course, a native vector warping tool into Affinity Designer would be both easier and best looking in print...

Maybe pixels may do it for certain people here. So it always depends what people are after and what fulfills their specific individual needs here. - I for my part don't want to change vector to pixels or use other third party tools, thus switching to APh and bitmaps is no option for me, or using third party vector tools for this on the long go. - A major and serious vector tool should nowadays offer these important functions.