mqudsi

High idle GPU usage

There seems to be a bug in AD that causes some calculation or rendering to get stuck in an infinite loop, with nothing but a simple SVG with few paths and no complicated features, AD will be taking up ~50% of the available GPU while doing absolutely nothing (and even minimized).

I've been noticing this problem since AD 1.5, and currently can reproduce it in the latest 1.6.1 release (which isn't to say that it didn't happen pre-1.5, of course). The only possible factor I could think of is that I've only ever seen it on high-dpi devices (with a non-100%/96dpi configuration), but I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence or not.

affinity-designer-gpu.thumb.png.e23891ecebf2dd57a4e50a5ab76d608c.png

This happens on multiple PCs with different makes and models of graphics cards (Intel, nVidia, and AMD) so it's not a GPU driver issue. 

Is there some sort of logging that can be enabled that would help track this down?

Oh, I should mention that whenever this happens the Windows DWM process is also seen taking up a non-negligible amount of GPU, and desists only when AD is exited/killed. So perhaps it has something to do with how AD is responding to a message posted to the HWND pertaining to layout management?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

If you're asking if I have a path selected: it doesn't matter, once the bug kicks in, switching tools, selecting/deselecting paths, etc. does not impact the GPU usage.