You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patrick Connor

I'll buy them both as soon as they are available digitally.

I want to have a copy of the book opened on one monitor while I work on either Affinity or Designer on another monitor.

Users would be able to search for content and find answers immediately, not to mention being able to read and learn the programs anywhere on a phone or tablet. Electronic Publishing has come of age, and Serif can protect their content, not to mention sell amazing numbers of the guides in a very short time with zero publishing and shipping costs.

What am I missing here?

Not only the comments you make are so relevant, but think how easy it would be to update the written word to match updates in the software so that all readers would be able to keep up with changes.  I don't know why Serif elected to go hard copy only, but the demand for digital publishing and the reasons for it, seem to be growing.  I would at least think that Serif would share their logic instead of allowing discontent to flourish.  Serif has been an excellent software supplier for decades and has a strong audience, and is a company that folks want to support.  I really don't understand why this can't be addressed.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:30 AM, Iam1of2 said:

Not only the comments you make are so relevant, but think how easy it would be to update the written word to match updates in the software so that all readers would be able to keep up with changes.  I don't know why Serif elected to go hard copy only, but the demand for digital publishing and the reasons for it, seem to be growing.  I would at least think that Serif would share their logic instead of allowing discontent to flourish.  Serif has been an excellent software supplier for decades and has a strong audience, and is a company that folks want to support.  I really don't understand why this can't be addressed.

I'm incredibly torn on this subject and I can see it from both points of view.  I can see why they would be worried about losing out on sales due to people sharing the book digitally without buying multiple copies.  Be that piracy or 'helping a friend out' or whatever the case may be.  However, I think they are missing out on potentially more sales due to the fact that it isn't available digitally.  I did buy a copy of the Designer Workbook, and it is very nice and I'm happy to support the company as much as I am able.  However... lugging that around is a bit of a pain in the arse along with my Macbook.  I do think, however, that there is a happy medium for everybody.  They already have their video tutorials as well as the ability to download samples of other peoples public artwork.  I think that could be revamped/updated in such a way as to have the workbook built into an easily update-able tutorial.  If it were built in, even at an extra cost, then it could be updated incrementally along with the software.  Then you don't have it being available to the masses and easily copy-able.  Build it into its own panel, allow that panel to be popped off to the side and go through the workbook alongside your art instead of having to balance a book while hoping it stays open to the proper page.  

OR just have a one-time use license in the copies of the hardbound books that enable that feature.  Then we still get the nice keyboard shortcut pages as well as a digital format that's more portable.  So maybe we can come together as a community and make something like that happen.  Build the support for the program up and help it grow while making life easier on us as well.  Just my own thoughts on it.

Last week I ordered the Affinity Photo Workbook from Amazon (Canada) and received it two days later. The book is nice and well done.

But.... it was in a "bubble envelope" only so the corners have been slightly crushed. But I can live with that and it has nothing to do with Serif. 

But a dozen pages are printed (or assembled) up side down. Some are out of sequence and some others are badly cut, as the color test band is there. To help you check it out, here are the "abnormal" pages : 
328-329-332-333-336-337-348-349-344-345-340-341 

I just wonder if you've seen this as I intend to return it to Amazon and get a new one, but I want to make sure I won't get a book with the same problem.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

13 hours ago, AlainP said:

Last week I ordered the Affinity Photo Workbook from Amazon (Canada) and received it two days later. The book is nice and well done.

But.... it was in a "bubble envelope" only so the corners have been slightly crushed. But I can live with that and it has nothing to do with Serif. 

But a dozen pages are printed (or assembled) up side down. Some are out of sequence and some others are badly cut, as the color test band is there. To help you check it out, here are the "abnormal" pages : 

I just wonder if you've seen this as I intend to return it to Amazon and get a new one, but I want to make sure I won't get a book with the same problem.

i didnt checked the book yet thoroughly, but now ill definately check, I really want ebook, this book is too heavy and stiff its not allowing me to use it.    

23 hours ago, AlainP said:

Will someone from Serif have a look a this post ....

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Hello AlainP

Interesting that you have found an assembly error.  I can't comment about that happening to me, since I haven't ordered the product.  However, my neighbor has and I will ask if this error has been duplicated in his purchase.  Should that be the case, I will report that here.  Too bad that this happened as the book is really quite nice - but I can't avail myself of the luxury of providing space to keep it (in my 328 sq. ft traveling motorhome vehicle.)

Yes the book is really  nice and useful. It's probably just a batch of books that has this assembly error. But I don't want to spend my time ordering and returning the book until I have a good copy.

-- Macbook Air 15"

On 2/20/2018 at 7:27 PM, AlainP said:

Hello AlainP,

My apologies for the Workbook that you have received; it certainly isn't typical of the quality we usually provide.

I will be more than happy to help with this query. Please leave this with me for now, and I will be in touch with you on the email address associated with this forum account.

Thanks again for your time, and if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime, please let me know within this thread.

Best Regards,

Adam

The old saying that you can not teach and OLD dog new tricks is not true with this program and work book.

I am 85 years old and just started with photography. I will never be a good photographer but I can now take lots of pix and find some that I can now make into nice photos.

I tried to start in the middle of lessons. I very soon found out that I had to start at the very beginning to learn anything. When using this book and progressing thru each chapter anyone can learn how to rework photos.

I have no idea if this book is for experts, but I do know that is it perfect for a new beginner like me. If you are new to Affinity like me then I recommend this book.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, chuck1932 said:

The old saying that you can not teach.....but I do know that is it perfect for a new beginner like me. If you are new to Affinity like me then I recommend this book.

@chuck1932, Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum, and what a fantastic first post. Thank you so much for your reassurance to others about the book. I hope you enjoy using the software as much as you are enjoying the book

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/24/2018 at 7:21 AM, chuck1932 said:

The old saying that you can not teach and OLD dog new tricks is not true with this program and work book.

I am 85 years old and just started with photography. I will never be a good photographer but I can now take lots of pix and find some that I can now make into nice photos.

I tried to start in the middle of lessons. I very soon found out that I had to start at the very beginning to learn anything. When using this book and progressing thru each chapter anyone can learn how to rework photos.

I have no idea if this book is for experts, but I do know that is it perfect for a new beginner like me. If you are new to Affinity like me then I recommend this book.

As another old dog (age 77), I find the workbook much more helpful than trying to learn from the videos.  I recommend going through all of those chapters that pertain to your photographic interests or needs, & doing those lessons with the download files.  Then I have gone back & created notes from my underlined text in each chapter which hopefully will become a workflow outline for my use of AP.  The process of returning has helped to reinforce the skills they work to develop.  Now I plan on just seeking out those videos needed to fill in the holes that may still exist when I start to really use the app as my photo editor.  But the lessons have already got me using my camera differently to be able to incorporate things learned from the workbook, like exposure bracketing, which I had never done before.

On 24/02/2018 at 4:21 PM, chuck1932 said:

.......J'ai 85 ans et je viens de commencer avec la photographie. Je ne serai jamais un bon photographe mais je peux maintenant prendre beaucoup de photos et en trouver quelques-unes que je peux maintenant faire de belles photos.........

Good evening.

You can always pass on your emotions.

What is a successful photo? The one that sticks to the standards??

Your images "speak" to others! They were able to get a message across.  They are successful.

make yourself happy.

I got the book and it's heavy.

Most of time I lay in the bed in hospital, very hard to read the book for long time.

Another problem: it not easy to open wide, there are no space in the middle of 02 pages so you have to open it wide while it' hard.

I wish an electronic version of the book

P/S: the cost I have to pay for the book is 90USD (DHL charges).

4 hours ago, PhongLe said:

I got the book and it's heavy.

Most of time I lay in the bed in hospital, very hard to read the book for long time.

Another problem: it not easy to open wide, there are no space in the middle of 02 pages so you have to open it wide while it' hard.

I wish an electronic version of the book

P/S: the cost I have to pay for the book is 90USD (DHL charges).

Thats exactly what my point was, its been so many days and im not using the book instead using youtube, i usually sits on couch grab my iPad or may be MBP and use affinity, but in order to use this book, I have to sit in front of table like i do all week in my office, im best learner when im sitting relaxed, Serif please listen we are willing to buy e-books.

They are not listening, they are reading, and I believe they read it all (hopefully not my 20 miles long threads). Yet though, as some other forum member replied in another forum thread, "listening" is not the same than "agreeing" (or... "obeying".... :D )

PD: I for one always liked a good book. Now, just at my 45 year old age, I need the glasses for almost any sort of reading (I blame the huge non stop work over the years in too many profiles, I probably should have taken a more money grabbing, issues-free job path than 2D/3D and painting... but is late now). I believe, though, a good old book is yet quite an experience some of the younger ones are not giving its real value (and the massive attraction that social media (of endless crappy TV reality shows)  makes on them isn't helping (in many cases removing time from "real life" interaction, from studies, or even attending in classrooms. Book reading is completely out of the picture in this situation, sadly)). That said, as I can zoom in, I can read without the glasses with a tablet (and not counting on huge amplifying, these glasses, so , with them I read well and draw/paint to hyper realistic detail) but without them, not easily and certainly not small fonts.... :S . The tablet is a nice solution for this case...but any pdf or whatever the format is just fine. Anyway, I tend not to read the manuals, it removes excitement/exploring from the experience, hehe. Nah, seriously, I tend to learn as I use the tools, only use manuals in most apps when sth is reaaally non intuitive and I need to check the doc (extremely rare even with the worse apps out there)...  Still, I recommend everyone else to go first to the manuals, you'll learn faster and more happily, is the easiest way. Should have done that in the past when learning the basics in general in 2D/3D (after that you get the global "UI philosophy" and everything can be guessed fast)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:56 AM, Adam said:

Hello AlainP,

My apologies for the Workbook that you have received; it certainly isn't typical of the quality we usually provide.

I will be more than happy to help with this query. Please leave this with me for now, and I will be in touch with you on the email address associated with this forum account.

Thanks again for your time, and if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime, please let me know within this thread.

Best Regards,

Adam

Waiting on an update of this issue before I buy.

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
7 hours ago, jslrn60 said:

When newer versions of the software is released will the books be updated.

Perhaps, but it's unlikely to affect anything but the user interface section, and writing and proofing a reprint is a big undertaking. Additional functionality due in 1.x is unlikely to change the tutorials that demonstrate techniques that will still be true once the additional options are available.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, LLM said:

I have not been able to download the resources for Chapter 5, part 1, the snowqueen from workbook

https://affin.co/snowqueen opens the locked file-- snow_queen  (snowqueen.zip)

https://affin.co/girlportrait has no download

https://affin.co/snowmountain has no download

I don’t think you should be sharing workbook resource links here, but the ‘girlportrait’ one took me to this CC0 image on Pixabay: https://pixabay.com/en/portrait-woman-hairstyle-elegant-1754894/

The ‘snowmountain’ link tried to take me to a page on Unsplash (where, as on Pixabay, the content is freely available and redistributable) but I got a timeout error.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@acapstick please can you look into this issue with the snowmountain link. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Perhaps someone could confirm that the ‘snowmountain’ example is this (very large!) photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)