You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patrick Connor

• Staff
14 hours ago, Nxdibbles said:

Do people who have purchased the book before  1.7 get an update of changes because when loading projects they load as legacy layers.

The changes were reasonably subtle. Follwoing the instructions in the previous reprint of the book still works. It's really not something that needs too much attention, we just checked that it could be followed in 1.7 and 98% of it could and the last 2% was tweaked.

Also, apparently the content that you can download is unchanged so one or 2 of the files contain a legacy adjustment settings!! I hope this is addressed at somepoint but AFAIK this work is still pending for the downloadable content.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 months later...
  • Staff
On 10/26/2019 at 8:22 AM, Przemysław said:

Are you planning to publish new books in future for example with a major update 2.0?

If so, will it be possible to have them sold in digital format?

No decision on either of these has been taken yet

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff
53 minutes ago, Coppereye said:

I have seen the advert on the start banner for the A Photo Workbook - is it vastly different from the original version

The current photo workbook is very similar to the first pressing, with only minor corrections

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 month later...

I'm certain this question has been asked but I'll ask it because I simply don't know the answer.  I own the workbooks for Designer and Photo.  They're great books although they're a bit behind when it comes to the current iterations of these applications.  That said, is there a pdf version of these books that people who own the books have access to?

Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

3 hours ago, chefseyephotography said:

I'm certain this question has been asked but I'll ask it because I simply don't know the answer.  I own the workbooks for Designer and Photo.  They're great books although they're a bit behind when it comes to the current iterations of these applications.  That said, is there a pdf version of these books that people who own the books have access to?

No, Serif has repeatedly confirmed, that he is not considering an electronic version of workbooks.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, chefseyephotography said:

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Yes more recent; however, not a definitive, never or confirmed.  Please understand I did not author the post, just provided the wording that was used.  I actually never finished my Photo Workbook as it was just a walkthrough instruction or tutorial on how to make compositions, IMHO.  Great for some, less for others.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

No use to continue to post numerous inputs spread over years of post. Yes they have not said that there are no ebooks currently or available  or planned. I never read a statement that Serif “Never” will off ebook or any electronic book.  No decision or currently, to me, leaves the door open. Never is a difficult statement to make, as things can change in time.

Cecil 

40 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I never read a statement that Serif “Never” will off ebook or any electronic book.  No decision or currently, to me, leaves the door open.

So it seems like "never" :-)

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

"Chosen not to" does not mean "never".... but I have never heard it discussed in a way that makes me think this could change.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Just now, Patrick Connor said:

"Chosen not to" does not mean "never".... but I have never heard it discussed in a way that makes me think we will.

I think that is what I said Patrick, quoting your reply: No decision has been taken.”  Similar to discussion on DAM and other threads of future Serif products.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

quoting your reply: No decision has been taken

Why you quoting old reply "No decision has been taken yet" from October 28. 2019, if you know new reply "us we have chosen not to" from December 2, 2019?

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Why you quoting old reply "No decision has been taken yet" from October 28. 2019, if you know new reply "us we have chosen not to" from December 2, 2019?

Serif has never, to my knowledge, express the price point of version 2 or 3.  Pointless to say it will remain the same, if internally the subject has been discussed, or if it has, certainly not released in a public statement.  As it has been stated, version one remains the property of user.  However, if macOS changes in 2022, will version one continue to operate or will Serif update version one to operate in macOS 2022 release?  I simply tried to expressed a point that Never cannot be verified “today”.

To be specific to your question, quoting past or present post, points to figure of speech over time, that may or may not imply a proven point to the future.  I totally believe Patrick Connor that he has never heard it discussed in a way that makes him think that it will be released in electronic format.  

Cecil 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! A five lb. book to lug around!!  Where were the geniuses at the DIGITAL company making  DIGITAL products like DESIGNER and PHOTOs  who authorized a physical ‘workbook’ without a companion digital version that WEIGHS NOTHING but a few electrons. 
im traveling Asia for four months on a bicycle and can’t be lugging the dumb book around. 

NO PDF?    I have complete pdf’s for many apps. Complete manuals! Procedures! 
affinity has the most confusingly incomplete mess of customer support and logical approach to relating to the people who paid good money for a workbook that sits on the shelf..

I also fail to find the logic that keeps Serif from publishing the workbook in pdf format.  They do so many excellent things and the software throughout their history has been top drawer, it is just strange that they haven't lent credence to the many calls and requests for a digital version.

6 hours ago, Sabine C. Günther said:

Wo kann ich ein deutsches Affinity Benutzerhandbuch finden?

Screenshot_2020-01-20-22-36-11.thumb.png.5cef00c454d0204b4400e36ec40c61d4.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

PaulD's query regarding following the workbook instructions has been split here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, Oly85 said:

Why should Serif want to issue the workbooks in electronic form? They would lose a good revenue stream if they did. I do not think there is a format that cannot be copied and distributed freely.

Electronic books are distributed and appropriate charges applied to download.  I downloaded many eBooks that charged for the download.

Cecil 

My point was that, once obtained, you could make copies to share with others and Serif would gain no benefit.

My own preference is to use conventional printed material. I can mark pages and make annotations easily in that format. It also has a beginning and end, so I know where I am and when I've read it all.

What Serif might consider is publishing amendments to keep the book in line with the product. There must've been some significant changes to the product since the book was first produced, reducing the value of the book without such information.

16" MacBookPro Catalina, Affinity Photo 1.8