You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patrick Connor

29 minutes ago, Oly85 said:

My point was that, once obtained, you could make copies to share with others and Serif would gain no benefit.

My own preference is to use conventional printed material. I can mark pages and make annotations easily in that format. It also has a beginning and end, so I know where I am and when I've read it all.

What Serif might consider is publishing amendments to keep the book in line with the product. There must've been some significant changes to the product since the book was first produced, reducing the value of the book without such information.

I understand your viewpoint and suggest that eBooks offer Bookmarks, easy page navigation and end point.  They also add the capability to provide clickable links to resources to download, eliminating the numerous questions on how to obtain downloads.  Amendments would just be a simple click.  As far as sharing and Serif gaining no benefit, nothing prevents one from sharing the book or even a laptop with AP and files downloaded.  

i would paid the same for the ebook, as I did hard cover and suggest Serif profit margin would increase.  Thank you for your viewpoint.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

I now have the book and should have read the title first. I see it is a 'workbook' (with exercises). Nice, but not what I'd like to have. I'm more interested in principles - what can be done and how, rather than be lead through a limited number of examples.

Digital forms do permit hyperlinks to related subjects and that can work well, so long as you don't get lost or distracted. Better, perhaps for reference after having read through everything. A hard-back of the user manual would be good...

16" MacBookPro Catalina, Affinity Photo 1.8

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@Pedro Roldán

Hola,
Bienvenido a los foros de Serif Affinity. :) 
No planeamos editar una versión de este libro o la de Designer en español

Lo siento

Un saludo

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/24/2020 at 5:21 PM, Oly85 said:

I now have the book and should have read the title first. I see it is a 'workbook' (with exercises). Nice, but not what I'd like to have. I'm more interested in principles - what can be done and how, rather than be lead through a limited number of examples.

Digital forms do permit hyperlinks to related subjects and that can work well, so long as you don't get lost or distracted. Better, perhaps for reference after having read through everything. A hard-back of the user manual would be good...

Have you tried taking a look at the help? It has loads of information about what can be done with it. Just in case you overlooked that option.

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, samouelraj said:

how do i buy e-copy of workbook ?  e-copy will be an ideal option. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Serif does not have e-book versions of the workbooks, and from what they've said in the forums it does not sound like they plan to make any.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

I have a question, what about updating this book? Still, you're updating the product "Software". It would be good to release a book updated the same year 2020 or 2021.
The book can be complemented, for example, by work with Space Shuttle, as the author came to such a result, I think many people will be interested.

552151.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Staff
5 hours ago, RaDeSun said:

I agree with awado above.  The Affinity Photo book was published in 2017.  A "newly published" book would be of utmost importance to new Affinity Photo users.  

Workbooks demonstrate techniques. They are not user guides explaining ever function, they are more like tutorials. What you learn will last you years and doesn't change just because the software gets a few improvements.

Yes it was first published in 2017, but Photo and Designer workbooks are updated whenever we run out of stock. So far there these changes have affected less than 5% of the books pages. They are both correct for 1.8.6 and all of the tutorials can be followed in 1.9.0 though the user interface and shortcuts sections will be tweaked when a new print run is made, to reflect the minor changes that are rolling out.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I see the workbooks is here but is it only an option to order these books as physical books?
If the answer is 'yes', why don't Affinity have the same option for these books as download as pdf files?

I hardly buy physical books any longer, so if it's only hardback versions, Affinity loses at least one purchase this way (from me).

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Artvid said:

I see the workbooks is here but is it only an option to order these books as physical books?

Yes, only physical, sorry.

8 minutes ago, Artvid said:

why don't Affinity have the same option for these books as download as pdf files?

We wanted to make it as a physical book, as I have said here .

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
52 minutes ago, Surlica said:

Any plans to expand the list of countries you ship the book to? Namely Serbia (Europe), in my case. Any other way to have it shipped here?

We use Amazon distribution (they hold stock in their warehouses and we place orders through an API). They have a list of countries they will distribute to, and those are the ones we support. If Amazon add other countries we would add them yes, but we do not have a warehouse service of our own to send to other countries, and it would be expensive to do so, sorry. The best solution I have is to have it delivered to a friend in another supported country and posted on from there, but that could be expensive too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 2 weeks later...

After promises from Serif that the books would be delivered before Xmas

"We have all hands on deck to ensure your book will be delivered before Christmas, but we wanted to let you know it may take another 1-2 weeks before you receive it."

however, I have an Amazon tracking showing delivery 27th December!  Hopefully that's wrong or did Serif change Xmas to 28th Dec!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

@W_B

(a belated) Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Sorry for the delay in replying. I missed this notification during the annual closure. Please let me know if this is still an outstanding problem.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd