You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patrick Connor

I'm in Canada, and the shipping cost was $8.49CAD. Shipping is handled by Amazon. Here's a quote from the Affinity Spotlight article on how the book was made.

Once we get a delivery date confirmed from the printers, the work starts at Serif HQ to get the book to you.

Maree Moran, who sorts out the ordering and distribution of our Workbooks, ensures that all the cartons and pallets containing the final printed Workbooks will be up labeled correctly. She then lets Adam Frith (our warehouse manager), know of their impending arrival.

As we can only ship to some countries from our warehouse in Nottingham (UK) without incurring too many costs for you guys, we also send some stock to Amazon to both sell and distribute for us. Maree lists the Workbook on Amazon UK, Amazon DE, Amazon US and Amazon CA (Canada), and arranges stock to be sent to the depots for each country. When the stock is shipped to Amazon US and CA, it will then be distributed to smaller depots around those countries to further reduce the customer shipping costs. Maree will also monitor this stock and top it up when needed.

You can read the article here: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/creating-the-affinity-photo-workbook/

Release 1.7 is in Beta test and will probably be released sometime in 2019.  Since it contains a significant number of improvements and fixes, I am wondering if a new version of the Workbook will be released with or shortly after the software release?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 7:50 PM, Gerry Fraiberg said:

My Workbook stays flat on my desk. The exception is towards the end of the book, but I haven't removed the tear out Shortcuts pages yet. 

IMG_3309.jpg

So does mine - when it's open to the same page in your image. But I need to put some weights on it when open to the beginning, it's either that or break its spine. It's really irritating when the page I'm on keeps flipping closed.>:(  It should have been spiral bound.

9 hours ago, HaroldL said:

So does mine - when it's open to the same page in your image. But I need to put some weights on it when open to the beginning, it's either that or break its spine. It's really irritating when the page I'm on keeps flipping closed.>:(  It should have been spiral bound.

My experience is that the spine is sturdy enough that it won't break when laid flat, even when open to early pages. When I open the book, I run the side of my hand up and down the page near the middle, as if straightening a fold. This gentle pressure is enough to keep the book open without breaking the spine. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 3:08 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Clive.p96

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Do not try to access http://affin.co directly. (We use that to add new shortcuts, hence the login). You should use the full URL as they appear in the book  https://affin.co/SomeWordHere

So, in your browser URL bar (not into google or any other search engine) type in the link exactly as they appear on pages 8, 86, 140, 156, 174, 188, 200, 226, 248, etc, you will get a zip file to download, one for each hyperlink on each of those pages and the others later in the book.

So for example the one on page 86 says https://affin.co/photocoreskills (or in the German book https://affin.co/photocoreskillsde) which should download photo_core_skills.zip into your downloads location. Inside that zip file you will find all the files mentioned in that chapter in the purple boxes on pages 87, 90, 94, 98, 104,  114, 120, 130 & 134, and referred to in the text again in purple. Extract the zip file and follow the tutorials using them.

I bought the Photo workbook when it came out, and use it for reference often. However, I haven't as yet stepped through the tutorials, using the example files.

It's about time I did so, and now have more disk storage and a faster PC to work on. I'd therefore like to mass-download all the example files (which I think are mostly zips) so that I have them all to hand.

My question, therefore, is this: is there any central point to see a full list of example files which I can then select and download with my browser's Bulk Downloader extension? This is rather than doing this chapter by chapter.

• Staff
1 hour ago, FoxTalbot said:

is this: is there any central point to see a full list of example files which I can then select and download with my browser's Bulk Downloader extension? This is rather than doing this chapter by chapter

No, we have not done this and we do not list all the links anywhere, to stop the downloads being abused. Some are licensed and we try to encourage them to be downloaded only by those who have bought the book and have it in front of them, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

No, we have not done this and we do not list all the links anywhere, to stop the downloads being abused. Some are licensed and we try to encourage them to be downloaded only by those who have bought the book and have it in front of them, sorry.

Thanks for your reply. I can well-understand this, so I'll plough through the sections and download each. I bought the book because I'm not especially fond of videos or e-books, and I like to be able to flip easily back and forth to refer to specific topics or parts of topics, which I mark in the book with book darts. I'll organise my samples storage on this PC to mimic the chapters, and that should do it.

On reflection, having a mass of examples to sort out into folders is probably going to be more arduous than doing it one-by-one.

• 3 months later...

I just received my Workbook May 2019, Amazon.  I cannot comment on the contents; however, my eyes cannot adjust to the lack of ink, tone, paper or combination of all.  The print, as my eyes see, just blends into the paper.  Sorry, just honest feedback.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

12 minutes ago, JustMeTo said:

I just received my Workbook May 2019, Amazon.  I cannot comment on the contents; however, my eyes cannot adjust to the lack of ink, tone, paper or combination of all.  The print, as my eyes see, just blends into the paper.  Sorry, just honest feedback.

Could you please post a photo? 

I tried twice uploading IPad Pro Photo.  Error notice 200. I selected Click to choose files.

Edited by JustMeTo
Typo

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Excuse me, error code 200.

Cecil 

If I could employee someone to hold camera as I make my way through book, zooming, I could zoom on print.

Cecil 

4 minutes ago, Gerry Fraiberg said:

Perhaps it is a vision issue. I am a 70 year-old male and wear corrective lenses, otherwise known as reading glasses and have no problem with the design of the book.

As I just had complete eye exam in April and passed with flying colors with my reading glasses, read books, newspapers, etc., daily, my guess style over readability.  I do understand that one cannot ensure 100% will be satisfied.  I will enjoy the book, it’s just a pain for my eyes to adjust to the print, especially on color paper.  

Cecil 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
1 hour ago, benrymnd said:

Seeing was published in 2017 how will fare with dealing with 1.7 and other updates

Every time the stock runs out we check to see if any typos need correction or changes are required before we reprint.

The book has already been reviewed in relation to 1.7 and the Workbooks being sold are 100% suitable to be followed in 1.7 despite the software changes.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

If I have a store account with a password which shows I bought the apps and the workbooks, should I not be able to download all the resource files as a zip file under my account??

The idea I have to go to web page -- by typing out a URL -- for each chapter and for each tutorial is working hard not smart. 

On 5/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, Cecil said:

As I just had complete eye exam in April and passed with flying colors with my reading glasses, read books, newspapers, etc., daily, my guess style over readability.  I do understand that one cannot ensure 100% will be satisfied.  I will enjoy the book, it’s just a pain for my eyes to adjust to the print, especially on color paper.  

using colored txt for a functional URL is poor design and poor accessibility too. 

On 1/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, jeffers said:

Mine came yesterday so haven't had time to explore as yet. First impressions I'm pleased but agree it might be a problem having it open and trying to follow while using Photo on my desktop windows.

ditto. I have never seen over 35 yrs a tech tutorial book printed as hardback thats hard to use/lay open with tight gutters as well. Spiral bound works best. A book holder works but not well. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Nxdibbles said:

Do people who have purchased the book before  1.7 get an update of changes because when loading projects they load as legacy layers. Thanks David

That's an interesting question. So far, @Patrick Connor has not indicated that any updates were needed, but I haven't seen anyone mention legacy layers. Which project did you see this in?

Do the instructions still work, and give the right results? If the only difference is the way the layers are marked, I'm not sure any update is needed. If the results are different than described, though, then perhaps something is needed.

An alternative to a book update might be for Serif to provide updated copies of the project files, made with 1.7. Perhaps each link in the book could lead to the file as it does today if the file is completely compatible between 1.6 and 1.7, or to a differentiation page if the user needs to choose which version of the file to download.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1