You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patrick Connor

• Staff

Hi stella24,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There is an explanation of how to get the resources at the start of the book, on page 9. 

Each chapter's files are provided on the beginning of each chapter or subchapter only. You can easily locate the link looking for the two overlapping files/documents icon on a blue background. In the chapter you mentioned it's on page 140 on top. The purple links referenced on the top of each page on that chapter are there just to reference the files that are being used/described on that specific page from the files you have downloaded for that chapter.

The files for the next chapter after the one you mentioned are on page 156 - again look for the overlapping files icon on a blue background -, and so on.

17 hours ago, stella24 said:

working my way through the photo workbook but i cant find the resource photos from pages 142 onwards where and how do i find these photos ive typed in the resource but cant find the photos is there a way they could all be put in the same place to download please 

Stella - I found the best way (for me) to do this is spend the better part of a day, depend ending on your internet speed, downloading all the resource files from Https://affin.co/XXXX. I set up a new folder, in and external HDD, naming it for the workbook and then saved all the project files in that folder under subfolders with each projects name.  Hope this will help you.

On 2017dic26 at 2:02 AM, Alfred said:

'Opacity' is just what it sounds like: the value determines the opacity of the brush stroke (so the result with a low value will be faint and the result with a high value will be more solid). Other terms such as 'Flow' and 'Hardness' are defined in the program Help:

Hardness—how hard the edges of the brush are. The brush appears softer as the percentage decreases.
Flow—controls how fast colour is built up under your brush

Hi Alfred,

thank you for answering! So I was wrong... I missed that manual page even if I usually search on manuals... I hope I'll do better from now on...

On 12/1/2017 at 1:45 PM, rndoutput said:

I got my book earlier this week.  Like the Designer book this is an excellent value.  Not just in physical quality, but in content too. 

Here's why.  First, you learn the basics of the app and where things are. Next, you start on projects that teach you new things and often build on skills you learned in a previous one.  This progression causes you to build knowledge and confidence at the same time.   I've had more than a few "Aha!"  moments. Not just about the app, but about the techniques they are teaching.    I've also found inspiration and plan to try some new things. Brief project overviews are provided too. So you know what gear was used, what the photographer was thinking and planning etc. So it's more than turn page... click here ... do this... TADA! 

Full disclosure before I hit submit. Affinity Photo had been collecting dust on my HDD for a while.  I bought it thinking, like Designer, it would be a great creative alternative to Adobe. But I quickly got frustrated with the UI. I was hopeful this book would change that and so far it has.  

And... I'm only half-way through it. :D  Let the good times and learning continue. 

Ok, so this workbook starts at a good place for beginners/intermediate users and is not only for advanced users? I hope so. I love Affinity Photo and hope to use it forever!:x It is all that I will need. Thanks for your info.

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee

46 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Sandi-ArtsyCrafteryStudio,

Also take a look at the Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials thread.

Thanks so much! Been watching some. Bookmarked thread and gonna get that workbook too, eventually!

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee

My son got it! It will be in my hands up to January 15.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi, I have Affinity Photo version 1.6.1.93 for Windows and working through the  Photo Workbook on page 98 "Adjustments" it states "On the Adjustments Panel, go to Brightness/Contrast and select the lighter thumbnail. I only can see the default image and no other thumbnails. Is this a windows version issue or do I need to turn something on in the background?

It's not a Windows issue, as I use Windows and I see Default, Lighter, Darker, and Lower Contrast thumbnails there. [Edit: however, I can't try it with the images from the workbook as I'm away from my main computer.]

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I see Default, Lighter, Darker, and Lower Contrast thumbnails

You should also see 'Increase Contrast', but it may be displayed below the other thumbnails if the Studio isn't wide enough.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Bartimus,

There is an explanation of how to get the resources at the start of the book, on page 9. Each chapter's files are provided on the beginning of each chapter or subchapter only. You can easily locate the link looking for the two overlapping files/documents icon on a blue background. Using your page as an example -  take a look at page 140 on top: that link contains all the files needed for that chapter. Enter the full URL as appear there on your browser's URL field to download the zip file, unzip it to a folder then use each file as referenced on each page (in this case mam_tor.tiff on page 142) to follow along the book instructions.

4 hours ago, Jef said:

About to get one but my question is what happens when there are updates in the software that would not be in the book?

You will have to buy a new one when it comes out. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

32 minutes ago, cowbungus said:

I am looking at the workbook, I also have the beta program.. does the workbook follow the beta version?

It can't. The beta is constantly changing, and the Workbook was produced long before the current beta version (or the current release version) were made available.

However, the Workbook is not a manual, intended to explain every feature of Affinity Photo. Rather, it explains the basics, and then as a learning aid it shows some advanced examples with specific projects you can work on. The beta versions of the program generally fix bugs, and add enhancements, and should not invalidate anything described in the Workbook. All the exercises should continue to work.

The Workbook won't show you everything that is in the beta, but it's not even intended (I believe) to show/describe/explain everything that is in the officially released version of the program.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

If this book becomes available in ebook format I would love to purchase it either in Kindle format or for Ibook. I'm very new to photography editing and need the very basics and finding the videos a little hard to follow and understand. Looking forward to learning it properly. 

• Staff

@BobbyD

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums 

Thanks for your interest in our software and best of luck with your learning process. This workbook was never planned to be available in electronic format, and we still have no plans to convert this book to other forms, but we are taking on board the many comments of those like you, for whom the videos are not ideal.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon