You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patrick Connor

I ordered the workbook on 12/2, got a prompt confirmation of the order; next got an email that it was shipped on 12/12 & it arrived yesterday.  Given the time of the year & very large amount of orders they are processing, I have absolutely no complaints about this.  And based on a quick turning of every page in the book, it looks like its comprehensive & well organized.  Much better I think than any of the Adobe books I have used in the past for learning LR & PS.  Can't wait to dig into it & start refreshing my understanding of Affinity Photo & improving my rusty efforts to use it.  I hope this workbook will give me the skills needed to make AP my primary editing tool for my camera raw images.

I just got my copy of the book today, well packaged. And this time I did not have any theft issues that happened with the Affinity Designer workbook. I am very happy it came so quickly. Thank you Affinity Serif Staff for making a true competitor to the adobe suite. I am going to go through the whole book and experience just how far I can push this software.

These workbooks are better organized than the Adobe Classroom books I went through in college.

Ordered the book on November 25 and it just arrived today. That’s actually not too bad since I am in Australia. We’re used to slow shipping. We’re a long way from the source of lots of good things.

What isn’t so OK is the packaging. The very thin and loose padded bag gave it very little protection. By the time it got here the bag was torn and the corners and edges of the book were bent, dented and scratched. If you’re shipping internationally you need cardboard. Heavy cardboard. Lots of it. Books shouldn’t look age-worn and used fresh out of the package.

I can use it - all the words and pictures are still there and the binding is good - but it looks like it already has been. For years. By small children.

I purchased both workbooks. Received in a timely fashion and really loving them.

I had a similar experience as @Mister Dalliard though. The corners of my Designer workbook were a little squashed. Also, the spines seem really creaky. I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to need a couple of binders in the near future...

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• Staff
3 hours ago, blacknight said:

there are images within the book that are printed in red and named with a filename followed by .jpg, as if there were a source for them. IS there somewhere that these images in the book are available for downloading? I can't find any reference to where that might be.

These files in the text are in zip files that are downloaded via a link printed in a box at the start of the chapter. This process is explained on page 11 (I seem to remember) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Now have both workbooks and look forward to the Publisher Workbook in the future when it's available.  Excellent references!  

(05mar2020) Ryzen 1800x, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 442.50 (01mar20), LG Ultra HD (2), Win 10 Pro x64 18363.657, Affinity Photo/Designer 1.8.1.604 beta & Publisher 1.8.2.603 beta

I like the book and I am working it trough. I like it, high quality print and binding. Good examples to work and learn by.

The package was broken and the book fell out of the package when I took it out of the postbox, but the book itself was OK. 

So over here in the darkness in the damp and cold west coast of Sweden, there is some light in the dark, the new Affinity book!

Henry

Great workbook. However a problem!

I am unable to log into the affin sites and get error 404 regardless of the browser I use. Help please. Thanks.

4 hours later! When entering the URL I was not entering a space after it!!! I have now downloaded all the zip files for my homework!! 

Many thanks great product.

Edited by Mike from South Oz
Problem solved!!

Patrick - I envy the many users of the Photo workbook because I am unable to participate.  I am an eternal rover, as I live in a motorized vehicle that is 41x8 feet and has absolutely no space for a book the size of this:(.  I have no qualm over price since the illustrations make it look like a high quality work.  Is it just possible that the authors might conceive of releasing a version of this document as a digital book?  While I have hardly space to store my camera, my computer has tons of space.:D

• Staff

Iam1of2, much as it would be popular, Serif have decided to keep the book as physical only, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

15 minutes ago, Rugby said:

Ciao, uscirà il libro in italiano? Grazie!

13 minutes ago, Rugby said:

Hello, will the book in Italian come out? Thank you!

Serif does not seem to be planning to issue the workbooks in any languages other than English and German.

Google Translate:

Serif non sembra aver intenzione di pubblicare le cartelle di lavoro in altre lingue diverse dall'inglese e dal tedesco.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have received and started to use Affinity Photo Workbook. I am using the Workbook systematically from page 1 and randomly as a resource by searching for sections of interest or uncertainty, as well as via the links in the contributors pages. Affinity Photo is an exceptional photo editing software with options for a comprehensive range of editing, I use both the Macintosh and iPad versions.

Important to me is RAW adjustment, exposure stacking (HDR), focus staking (macro) and panorama. The export options are welcome since printing or other exporting often requires size/resolution change, colour format, ICC profile inclusion for my printers and specialty paper. I have used many of the leading software for photography and Affinity Photo is proving to be a universal toolbox. Due to its diverse utility and precision, Affinity Photo is a complex program. The tutorials provide insights and the Workbook gives comprehensive instruction, with many ideas for combinations and pathways for the adjustment tools. I recommend the Affinity Photo Workbook to enhance learning and functionality of this exceptional photo editing software. I will probably be a candidate for Affinity Publisher.

The Workbook is really nice!

It would be awesome, to get it also as pdf file.

I would prefer to read the book on one space (mac) and have affinity photo program on another space, so I can just switch from book to program with a fingertip.

I would even pay an additional amount (maybe € 5,)- for the pdf file.

If you are afraid everybody will just copy the pdf file, and not purchasing the book anymore, you could just create personal copies for the buyer, with a unique ID number, and the name of the purchaser on each page, like Rheinwerk Verlag does it here in Germany. Just an idea... The buyer of the workbook would love it, and I guess many buyer of the printed workbook would agree to pay an extra € 5,- for a pdf file, so you would not have to do it for free.

Hi everybody,

I received the book some days ago - after a long wait - and I'm starting to explore it; what I noticed is that in the example projects, just as in the tutorial videos, it's stated "do this and this, set this value to x%" and so on but there's no explanation about some commands in general...

Let's say, Impainting brush tool: what's the general effect of opacity, flow, hardness? I guess I can't apply the same values I read in the projects examples for every photo I edit...

In my opinion, even as a teacher, this is an annoying lack in a manual... Or I'm I missing something?

Thank everybody for answering 

'Opacity' is just what it sounds like: the value determines the opacity of the brush stroke (so the result with a low value will be faint and the result with a high value will be more solid). Other terms such as 'Flow' and 'Hardness' are defined in the program Help:

Hardness—how hard the edges of the brush are. The brush appears softer as the percentage decreases.
Flow—controls how fast colour is built up under your brush.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 23/12/2017 at 9:14 PM, Alfred said:

Serif non sembra aver intenzione di pubblicare le cartelle di lavoro in altre lingue diverse dall'inglese e dal tedesco.

Google Traduttore:

Serif non sembra aver cambiato di lavoro in altre lingue diverse dall'inglese e dal tedesco.

Hello and thank you, I hope they will also consider the Italian language, otherwise it will be hard .....

I have to say "thank you" to Serif for publishing tis workbook.  It is well done, laid out with good examples and workflows.  Some chapters do leave you searching about a bit for the exact task being worked, but I am not complaining as it has opened new doors for me and shown me how to do things I only got frustrated with before.  It is and will be a good reference book for themes I get "wrapped up in my shorts"  trying to get a task done and cant recall exact steps to take to get the end result I am after.  Thanks!

working my way through the photo workbook but i cant find the resource photos from pages 142 onwards where and how do i find these photos ive typed in the resource but cant find the photos is there a way they could all be put in the same place to download please