You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Open EXR Multilayered

Did you adjusted the output gamma to a higher value (let's say from 1.0 to 2.2) accordingly for the JPG export?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Either do it inside the 3D software with the initial render file, if that is initially too dark. - Or when reusing/altering the render file inside AD, apply some Brightness or Levels adjustment layer (see the Layer menu) and test/check if the exported JPG looks better then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
18 hours ago, migui50 said:

Hi

I have a 3D render file in OpenExr Multilayered format. I have modified 32 bits preview panel, but when i export this to .JPEG format the result is too dark

What I am doing bad ??

Sorry my poor english, thanks

Hi, the issue is likely related to your use of the 32-bit preview panel. It's designed for working with 3D renders/HDR images that have a large tonal range - the idea being you can work on the images, previewing different tonal ranges as you go, then export the result back to OpenEXR for handoff to other software or another artist.

Because you are exporting to JPEG it sounds like you are completing final editing in Photo. Make sure your 32-bit Preview Panel options are:

Exposure: 0

Gamma: 1

Display Transform: ICC Display Transform

When you export to JPEG, the results should be similar if not exact (converting 32-bit to 8-bit may result in some differences depending on the contents). As long as you are using the display transform colour management, you should be fine - do not use Unmanaged (linear light).

I will just cover this in case there is confusion: the 32-bit Preview Panel does not make tonal changes to your image, it is simply a non-destructive way of previewing different tonal areas. If you want to make tonal modifications, leave 32-bit Preview alone and use adjustment layers, brush work, filters, etc.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials