VolkerMB

Confused by spot colours (naming problem)

Hi there!

For a little greeting card I intended to use a transparent coating on some parts of the design. The print shop asked me to create an extra layer for this (at the very top of all other layers) and paint all areas in question with a new spot colour named "lack". So I created a new global spot colour, named it "lack", set the option "overprint" and painted the areas in that top layer with the new spot colour. As requested I exported the document as a PDF/X3 file.

Unfortunately the print shop is not able to print the design as the can't identify any colour named "lack". Additionally they say that there was no top layer. So I'm a bit confused... How can I fulfill the requirements of the print shop?

Any hints are highly appreciated.

Kind regard,
Volker

Hi VolkerMB,

When creating the global colour and setting the Overprint option, did you also enable Spot Colour? Also when exporting to PDF have you made sure the Honour spot colours is enabled under More options?

Hi Lee,

yes, my initial tought was that I might have missed an option (and I probably have) but both options you mentioned were set: spot colour enabled (when creating the global colour) and "honour spot colours" (when expoting to PDF). So I a bit puzzled....

Perhaps the original file might give you a clou what went wrong?

03_Weihnachtskarten_A6_v2.afdesign

You created a spot color named "lack." Is it only suppose to be covering the Frohe text on the first artboard?.

Is this a "flood" fill or is it only to be applied to the one element? The attached AD file is a revision. It exports to PDF/X-3 and the spot color is there on that text. Now, they mention to place it on a layer. But PDF/X-3 cannot have layers. So do check that is their desired PDF format. I did add a layer to put it on, though. Oh, I also didn't load the fonts.

capture-001564.png.220161d0221ce5832ec013f60164e1c9.png

Also, it is possible that whatever they are using for loading the PDF cannot handle the Use Advanced Features in a PDF. that is located under the More button and can be turned off.

Mike

03_Weihnachtskarten_A6_v2-Modified.afdesign

Hi MikeW,

thanks a ton for your effort and your explanation!

Yes, the coating is supposed to cover just the word "Frohe", nothing else. 

The print shop asked me to create a spot colour named "lack" (just the German word for coating) and use this spot colour for anything that needs to be coated. As this is in fact a transparent colour that goes an top of the other colours I was asked to use this on an extra layer on top of all other layers. Then I was asked to "convert it to PDF/X3 (compatibility with 1.3 preferred)" - and then they complained about not being able to find a spot coloured named "lack" in the file... I guess I need to talk to them now knowing that the generated PDF was okay (apart from the fact, thatX3 doesn't support layers).

Again, thanks a lot.

Best, Volker

You're most welcome, Volker.

Do note that your file ought to have worked, but I also didn't see the PDF that was submitted to them.

Also, if they are loading that PDF into anything like AI for imposing, for whatever reason, then there likely would have been issues regardless of how your PDF was structured.

If you would like me to take a look at the PDF you generated and sent or another version, just let me know. If you have Acrobat or pdfToolbox you could just do so yourself as a check, too. But like mentioned, I'm usually around. I do disappear sometimes due to being busy, but a PM will send an alert to my email, so that's a means of catching my attention.

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike,

wow, you offer quite a service!

In the meantime I requested the print shop to specify in detail why they are having trouble to print the document. If you are interested: I've attached the original PDF that I sent to the print shop. Even my Acrobat shows clearly that there is a spot colour named "lack" in the document.

Best,
Volker

03_Weihnachtskarten_A6_v2_final.pdf

Yeah, your pdf is just fine. With perhaps two exceptions. You need bleed unless it is built into your page size. And there is opacity, if I recall on the spot color text. Could be wrong on that but I am traveling and cannot reopen the file at the moment. 

Sorry. I should have noted that earlier but was too focused on the spot color to notice. 

And I think there is a regression that you should file in the bug section for your OS. That is the snowflakes are becoming bitmaps when they should not be. I thought this was once fixed.

Oops. The transparency thing is correct for a PDF/X-3 file. Dunno what I was thinking...but my head was certainly somewhere else (and likely in a dark place).

Sorry once again.

I was confused by the transparency as well and had to look it up. But that you spotted the regression regarding the bitmaps - remarkable. I'll get it reported (credit goes to you).

By the way: The print shop folks have not been able to specify so far why they can't print the file... I guess, I need to find another print shop...

Again: Thanks for all your help!

Best, Volker

If possible find a place that can keep transparency live and use pdf/x-4. The text shapes in the upper right that will get the varnish coverage has noise. So those shapes will always become bitmaps. 

Even so, if you up the document resolution to 300, bitmaps are fine.

My affinity doesn't export layers to PDF at all. The EPs same thing. PSD does, but there is no trace of spot colors. Can you please help????????

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Alena said:

My affinity doesn't export layers to PDF at all. The EPs same thing.

How specifically are you trying to do the export? What happens when you try?

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1