You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused by spot colours (naming problem)

The problem is that the swatch color you have in your document palette is not a spot color. Spot colors are indicated by a small circle in the bottom right corner. In Affinity apps it is not possible to convert a process color to spot so if you want to define a custom spot color, choose  Add Global Color from the context menu of the Swatches panel, and then check the "Spot" box:

image.png.2925261618f4571d08b51f0c78e046bc.png

Once you have the spot color in the document palette, right click and choose Rename Spot... which is the name that will appear as a plate (ink) in the PDF. You do not need to rename it, so if you do not specify a separate name, the global name will be used as the ink name. But you can only rename spot colors (ink names) that are global swatches.

image.png.f566d33b6360929978cc128c6e0458fa.png

I do that, I have in Publisher a new Swatch (New name) and in Designer is the name gone if I open the PDF! But giving a name is necessary for example for gold foil bij print shops.

@thomaso: The third photo is the export where I checking the name in the previous post of me.

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-11-22 om 21.16.41.png

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-11-22 om 21.16.37.png

name.pdf

You have renamed the Global Color name of a swatch, not its Spot name.

spotname_01.jpg.ddd5497134914d2e4de01313e98644f2.jpg

So select the swatch ("New name"), right click, and choose "Rename Spot", and use the name requested by the printer:

image.jpeg.ed6fd9d9913825d281255525b5e2fc03.jpeg

Then export to PDF so that spot colors are honored:

image.jpeg.91a59509d703d488c0e78a6b81280e33.jpeg

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat or another tool that shows spot names, then open the PDF in an Affinity app.

The spot status is shown when you select an object having a spot color assignment and when you have the Color panel active (you may need to reselect the object to have the color name on Tint view correctly shown):

image.jpeg