You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lack of metadata support

• 11 months later...

Just spent half an hour trying to find a free Mac app that will allow me to batch add IPTC data to my images... it would be very convenient if Affinity Photo could do this.

H. Baasch • http://baasch.nl (nsfw)

Leica X Vario, Leica X2, Cannon 550D, late 2015 iMac 5K (3,3 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB, 2TB Fusion drive)

The best app you can get: Exiftool

Download, install and read the manual. Or start Terminal and do man exiftool to see all parameters and options. There is a forum somewhere as well.

If you run DCRaw you can run exiftool as a second command and convert RAWs to TIFFs including all Exif data without having to touch a single file. 

Or you can run RPP (RawPhotoProcessor) which is the best RAW converter and includes Exiftool, writing all Exif data to the TIFF.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

• 2 weeks later...

Or you can run RPP (RawPhotoProcessor) which is the best RAW converter and includes Exiftool, writing all Exif data to the TIFF.

I agree that RPP is the best for RAW development; I use it daily. But though it reads and writes all EXIF data, it won't allow me to change or add IPTC data (specifically, copyright information), and that's what I was looking for. 

Leica X Vario, Leica X2, Cannon 550D, late 2015 iMac 5K (3,3 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB, 2TB Fusion drive)

To change copyright information, etc. you should really test exiftool. With one single command you can change the copyright information of thousands of files - all you have stored in the same folder as your RAW files:

exiftool -progress -tagsfromfile %d%f.[your_raw_file_extent] -copyright=[your_name etc] --Orientation -overwrite_original_in_place -q -q -ext tiff 

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

To change copyright information, etc. you should really test exiftool. With one single command you can change the copyright information of thousands of files - all you have stored in the same folder as your RAW files:

exiftool -progress -tagsfromfile %d%f.[your_raw_file_extent] -copyright=[your_name etc] --Orientation -overwrite_original_in_place -q -q -ext tiff 

Thanks a lot, I will try this.

Quick heads up on handling EXIF data: ALWAYS use the copyright TAG ('-copyright "Copyright ( c) 2016 by TheMadHatter" ' for exiftool users as shown in HMandemaker's post) if you own the copyright.  You can add a copyright notice in image comments, but the "Copyright" tag is there for that specific reason.

Also, when manipulating EXIF content, make sure you leave that tag untouched as well as any other copyright notices, you may be otherwise be committing a criminal offence (see US copyright law, chapter 506 "Criminal offences", item (d)).  

Don't go panicking immediately, though - it requires a clear indication of criminal intent, and as an apparent Facebook coding error does this at a rate of 400M images per day* I reckon you have some margin ;) .

(*) Not that all images coming into Facebook have explicit copyright information, but my tests have shown that whatever there is definitely gets stripped before publication.  You can easily test that yourself - add copyright data to images using exiftool as described above, then pull them down from another account and use exiftool to read what's left (format is simply "exiftool image.png" - no further parameters).

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.