You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi RickPor,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is that you are asking. Are you trying to select part of a layer and then skew only your selection?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Yes, just select the area you want to distort, then press V on the keyboard (is the move tool shortcut) and then you can distort the selected area.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

This is something that I'd like to see in AP. In Photoshop I'm used to ALT + drag a selected area to duplicate it onto the same layer. It's very handy, especially when it comes to rough, fast cloning jobs.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Thanks, I can do that, but with 'V' I can only scale/skew/rotate. As soon as I want to free transform it seems that I need to use the perspective tool -> there it can only work with a new layer/the whole artwork on that layer. Not with a selection only. Right?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

use "V" on a pasted image works just like "free transform" in PS.   I've been bumping between AP and FS as I slowly transition over to AP.   maybe since this posting the newer version now has the options.  AP just does things a bit differently but the end product is the same.

• 9 months later...

No "V" will NOT work as PS "free transform" at all, since there is no possibility for skewing, distorting and such. You can only scale and rotate, which is VERY limiting, especially for everyone of us who is building scenes and perspectives. I am getting rid of Adobe but for now procreate is much more usable than Affinity Photo. 

2 hours ago, seenegineer said:

No "V" will NOT work as PS "free transform" at all, since there is no possibility for skewing, distorting and such. You can only scale and rotate, which is VERY limiting,

With the Move Tool (default shortcut "V") scaling, rotating, & skewing (called shearing in Affinity) can be done, but only on the entire layer. (Shear is not the same as free transform.) This can also be done with the Transform panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

With the Move Tool (default shortcut "V") scaling, rotating, & skewing (called shearing in Affinity) can be done, but only on the entire layer. (Shear is not the same as free transform.) This can also be done with the Transform panel.

You can also convert the layer to curves (Layer > Convert to Curves) and then use the Node Tool to more freely transform the layer.

Edit: Wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

You can also convert the layer to curves (Layer > Convert to Curves) and then use the Node Tool to more freely transform the layer.

I do not think that works with Pixel layers. With Image layers it just crops, at least for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

With Image layers it just crops, at least for me.

Oops; you're right. It's just an odd crop frame.

36 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not think that works with Pixel layers.

Sigh. Right about that, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1