You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

James Ritson

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thus, many standard browser shortcuts such as Ctrl- + and Ctrl- - will work to adjust the font size.:)

Actually, this is what I do (with CTL + mouse wheel). It's just annoying that I have to do this every time I open help.

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can, of course, create a browser bookmark to the home page.

This is what I did immediately after posting. Thanks anyway. As I myself like to think up workarounds this works fine for me for the time being.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...

An update.   The Publisher Customer Beta 1.7.2.422 still does not permit printing of the Online Help.   Just tried it.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

14 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

An update.   The Publisher Customer Beta 1.7.2.422 still does not permit printing of the Online Help.   Just tried it.

There isn't a a specific online help for the beta versions, is there?  And the beta programs are not involved in displaying or printing the online help at all, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There isn't a a specific online help for the beta versions, is there?  And the beta programs are not involved in displaying or printing the online help at all, as far as I know.

I think you misunderstand.  Or I do.  Thought the customer Beta was supposed to be sprucing up the retail version.   Since the online HELP in the retail version will not print — although there is a print option included — and since I previously noted this and that the first customer Beta also would not print, and the response was that it was going to be looked into in due course, I checked the new Beta to see whether the issue has been resolved.  Thus my comment.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

I think you misunderstand.  Or I do.  Thought the customer Beta was supposed to be sprucing up the retail version.   Since the online HELP in the retail version will not print — although there is a print option included — and since I previously noted this and that the first customer Beta also would not print, and the response was that it was going to be looked into in due course, I checked the new Beta to see whether the issue has been resolved.  Thus my comment.  

Yes, they're looking into it. But the online Help is not part of the beta, per se. Only the built-in Help, which is part of the downloaded program, is part of the beta.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, they're looking into it. But the online Help is not part of the beta, per se. Only the built-in Help, which is part of the downloaded program, is part of the beta.

As I understand it, the help documentation (both built-in & online) is done by the documentation team (not the developers), & generally is revised/corrected only for retail updates. Supposedly, this is because beta features are subject to change build-to-build, so they don't want to cause any confusion created by beta help not being in sync with retail help ... or something. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This is a printing problem, @walt.farrell and @R C-R not a content problem.   Or something.   I give up.   Perhaps the documentation team will check into why the help WON’T PRINT when the icon is there and sends one to one’s printer settings.  The retail version did the same thing.  In the early betas, the printing icon did not appear so it was not an issue.  I am fine with looking at the help on screen.  I am not sure that at least some new persons coming to Affinity from The Other Outfit might not like to be able to print some of the Help entries.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 3:56 PM, jmwellborn said:

Perhaps the documentation team will check into why the help WON’T PRINT when the icon is there and sends one to one’s printer settings.

For what it's worth, the online Help prints just fine for me, though it takes a surprisingly long time (approximately 30 seconds) for my Print Preview box to pop up on screen.

-- Walt
PC:

I've noticed that there are topics I can search for in the built-in Help that I cannot search for in the online Help.

For example, for Photo, the online Help has no hits when searching for Rendering Intent, but the built-in Help gets two results.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For what it's worth, the online Help prints just fine for me, though it takes a surprisingly long time (approximately 30 seconds) for my Print Preview box to pop up on screen.

Glad to know it works with Windows.  It does not with my MAC.  The Print Preview box pops up immediately, but it is blank, and remains so.  Same thing for Photo and Designer.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Glad to know it works with Windows.  It does not with my MAC.  The Print Preview box pops up immediately, but it is blank, and remains so.  Same thing for Photo and Designer.

Have you tried a different browser? Perhaps the Help page is using some function that is not supported in Safari (or whatever browser you're using).

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a problem with one part of the online help for Designer. Specifically, https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Layers/mergeLayers.html directs the user to the overall Help index page, with the 3 application logos on it and a URL of https://affinity.help

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Walt, that's not a problem unless something else in the help uses that link... I imagine it does.

Where did you find that link ? The navigation/index or in a page?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

38 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Where did you find that link ? The navigation/index or in a page?

Here, for example:

1533150148_Mergelayers.jpg.3f45142cde4d7ea2c21de5bbecc3820d.jpg

39 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Walt, that's not a problem unless something else in the help uses that link... I imagine it does.

I don't understand what you mean by that. If there is a help topic title "Merge Layers" then there should be a corresponding help topic, but it seems MIA.

Try it yourself: set the language to "English (US)," type "layers" in the search field, & click the "Search" button. Now compare that with doing the same thing with the language to "English (UK)."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

R C-R,

Your explanation is perfect. I saw no mention of a help topic. I meant if an unused URL redirects to the root level then that's by design. So https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Something MadeUp/BlahBlah.html is meant to go to the root and not 404. My reply meant "where is it used, coz if it's an old bookmark or a reference in these forums then I don't care. If it's from the help itself then I do care".

The URL Walt gave looked real, but until you said it's actually used in the help topic link I wasn't sure how to proceed with this report.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

The URL Walt gave looked real, but until you said it's actually used in the help topic link I wasn't sure how to proceed with this report.

Sorry, Patrick. I'll be more complete if I need to report something like this again.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, Patrick. I'll be more complete if I need to report something like this again.

Nah, I'll just be less of a dick, it's easier

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry to be a bit thick but it says that it is 'Printable'. Where do I download it so I can print it?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

25 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Sorry to be a bit thick but it says that it is 'Printable'. Where do I download it so I can print it?

Your webbrowser should already have printing and save whole webpage content page options etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...

So last post 2 years ago. I see still no finite resolution to the problem of having useable Help Files for Mac of Windows. On the Mac I can copy the whole website using wget (installed with home-brew) but then converting it to a useable PDF, or even loading it into Publisher, a far better option still seems to be out of reach and ignored.

The link from earlier on works in this Topic: wget --convert-links -nH -Papublisher -r https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html -o afflog 

The same link works for Photo and Designer as well - but as I say...still no ability to convert.

It's an interesting exercise but so far pretty useless. Unless I take the time to build a Publisher document around it.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

5 hours ago, HarryMcGovern said:

So last post 2 years ago. I see still no finite resolution to the problem of having useable Help Files for Mac of Windows. On the Mac I can copy the whole website using wget (installed with home-brew) but then converting it to a useable PDF, or even loading it into Publisher, a far better option still seems to be out of reach and ignored.

Why do you need to make the help into a PDF? What is wrong with using the built-in version or the web-based one?

Affinity Photo 

I actually don’t need a pdf. I’m just experimenting. On the iPad I have a link to the help on the web on my Home Screen. That way I can have the app and the web help open at the same time.

same for desktop actually. 

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 minute ago, HarryMcGovern said:

I actually don’t need a pdf.

That is probably why there is no 'resolution' for this -- since there does not seem to be any compelling need for it, it isn't considered to be a problem that needs a solution.

Affinity Photo 

You can import the apps' help in an app like Calibre and convert them to PDF, but it would be better as CHM file, to keep the reflowable and text enlarging ability of HTML.

[edit] In PDF format, you won't have the sub-menus in the index part... and ePub at list the way I set it, won't be able to diplay it either. So the best is to stick with online help or the one inslatted with the apps [/edit]

Edited by Wosven
Last comment