You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Croping the whole Document

• Staff

Guess there's a few options which achieves a similar result depending on use case:

• Select all the objects in your doc (layers tab - choose "Edit all layers" then hit cmd-A) and group them (cmd-G), then you'll be able to crop.  Puts all your stuff in a group which might not be desirable.
  • Save your doc, then start a new one and embed your saved doc in it (File -> Place).  You'll then be able to crop that as if it were an image (can always double click on it if you want to edit the doc itself).
  • if it's just because you want to export a smaller part of the doc as an image - go to the export persona and create a slice of the area you want to export and do it that way...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Oh, or you could manually enter the size of the area you want to crop to in File - Document Set up, and then move all the objects in your doc to position as you want...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Something like changing the Drawing Area similar to the possibility to do this in illustrator would be perfect for me. I was just irritated to see the cropping toll without the funcktionality for the whole document. But as i said a kind of adjusting the drawing area with a tool like in illustrator would be nice for me too.

I wil test your suggestions in the next days.

Thanks a lot

Heike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for cropping/fitting the document to the content (which goes a step further than just cropping, but cropping the whole document would be useful as well)

EDIT Feb 16th 2015 : Any update on this? Despite how much I like Affinity Designer, the current cropping tool isn't at all what I'm used to from Fireworks and frankly causes me to go back FW more than I would like to.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

+1 for this feature getting higher priority.

For casual designers like me, we don't know the right size of the image until we have the content and not being able to crop the document to fit the contents is annoying.

• 3 months later...

Yes, it's a bit frustrating not having a basic feature like cropping, but there's an easy way to do it — create a rectangle, imagine this is your crop area, resize it according to your needs, then just remember the size of the rectangle and resize your document to these measures. Move everything (if necessary) till the rectangle borders hit the borders of a new document. This is really almost as easy as a regular crop. Second option is just open the document in Affinity Photo and crop it with a crop tool, save and go back to Designer.

We don't offer the ability to crop the document using the Crop Tool for Designer at the moment. Affinity Photo's Crop tool does crop the document so we might look at combining these tools to offer both. 

Yes, please combine these.  It's confusing for those of us who move back and forth between Designer and Photo when a tool (unnecessarily) works differently in each.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...