You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Croping the whole Document

+100 for adding simple-to-use cropping tool to AD. All I want is nothing more complicated than single action for

a] Area selection

b] Execution of  what's currently hidden in "Document Setup | Dimensions (values defined by the area selection)  + Document Setup | Anchor to Page".

I think there is no general consensus on what users want the AD crop tool to do. Personally, I find the vector crop tool useful & artboards a superior, interactive way to control what documents show. Like Fixx said, AD is not Photoshop. There is not much point in or need for cropping vectors as if they were raster images.

Since vector objects are defined geometrically instead of by pixel maps, destructively removing part of one won't appreciably change the amount of file space the document requires or how long it takes to render one on the screen -- in fact, in some cases that may increase very slightly if it requires more nodes to change its shape to conform to "crop" boundaries.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

I just purchased Designer yesterday - totally blown away by what it does but I too was stumped for how to crop the canvas easily - I almost resorted to launching fireworks but I used the slice tool to crop an image export then I re-loaded it to export at the dimensions I wanted the final image to be at... very long winded from what I am used to - definitely +1 to some kind of canvas cropping capability.

Hi spotter & welcome to the forums!

What exactly is it that you want to accomplish with a canvas cropping tool in Affinity Designer? If you are trying to reduce file size by cropping out parts of vector objects, shapes, image layers, or text -- basically, anything besides parts of pixel layers -- there will be very little reduction in the file size, unless maybe you are trying to crop out several thousand nodes of vector objects or thousands of text characters.

That is because only raster (bitmap) images are defined pixel by pixel -- everything else is defined by a set of properties. So for example, a 10,000 X 5,000 px rectangle vector shape requires the same file space as a 10 X 10 px one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

R-C-R - from your answer about filesizes it feels like you don't quite understand what most people are trying to do when they're talking about wanting to crop an entire document.

Lots of people use AD to create images for the web. That's one of the basic settings for creating a document in AD. You'll notice a lot of people commenting on cropping mention they previously used Fireworks and Fireworks is indeed the "web design" version of PS. 

In this case documents will be exported in jpeg or png format and uploaded to the web. Any extraneous whitespace around an image will be there on the final image and totally mess up how it looks. For the web and exporting to png/jpeg you need to be able to set the image dimensions to precisely what you want them. it's not a matter of filesize, it'a a matter of unwanted whitespace round the image when you export it.

Now whether that ends up being called a crop or not, it's a feature that's used time and time again when you're creating images for the web. To have to use a workaround like selecting the components, copying and creating a new document and then exporting is not only painful when you have to do it with every document - it also means you now have an old version of the document with the whitespace you need to delete.

So whether this crop feature that people are looking for that works the same way as crop in most other apps is called crop or something else is less important. However it is a feature that's heavily used by people doing images for the web.

Ian

Ian,

Whitespace in images for web pages should not be a problem for png files with transparency.

For JPEG's (or for PNG's with or without transparency, for GIF's, or just about any other web compatible format) you can use the Export Persona's slices feature. Together with the Transform panel, you can set the slice dimensions precisely, & you do not need to crop the image at all -- just create the slice or slices at the dimensions & position(s) you want, set the export options you want, & export the slice or slices.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for me.  Since there seems to be confusion about what is being requested, I want the same feature that Fireworks calls Trim Canvas and Illustrator calls "Fit to Artwork Bounds".  I just started using the AD trial as I need to dump Adobe, but can't switch without this 1-click feature.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just chiming in that we still need a basic crop tool - it is August 8 2023.

Not everyone is using this like illustrator, for some it is their preferred drawing / digital painting app, so we may need a diverse range of functionality.

Really don't know why it is difficult to implement this feature, it feels incredible elementary.