You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions about EPS import - Affinity Photo

First of all - greeting to everybody and to Affinity Team :)

1. I try to place EPS file - just simple one. I dont see anything, just bounding frame - what i am doing wrong? I make this EPS from Corel X7, import there my lettering from Affinity Photo - convert it to curves and trying to place back in vector format.

2. About updating. If i purchase Affinity Photo - it will be free update for up to 1.xx version, or even for 2.xx also?

Скриншот 2017-11-29 12.15.52.png

Milk in the bottle.eps

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

• Staff

Hi Manofjesus,

Welcome to the forum

If you click on the duplicate button it will create a copy of the brush at the end on the brush list, right click on it and rename it so you know it your custom brush and the changes you make to the brush will not be reset when Photo is next opened.

When the eps is placed the image is being offset from the working area, click on the Edit document button and a new tab will open press CTRL+A  to select all of the objects and you will see the image in the black area off the screen, drag this into the white area and then close the tab and the eps object will now be visible in the placed area.

Included in the purchase of Affinity Photo are free updates for the 1.xx version

4 minutes ago, DWright said:

Included in the purchase of Affinity Photo are free updates for the 1.xx version

Just to clarify, 1.xx updates are free for owners of any 1.xx version, but 2.xx will be a separate purchase. Version 1 won't stop working when version 2 is released, so you won't be forced to upgrade if you don't need or want the new features.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, DWright said:

If you click on the duplicate button it will create a copy of the brush at the end on the brush list, right click on it and rename it so you know it your custom brush and the changes you make to the brush will not be reset when Photo is next opened.

When the eps is placed the image is being offset from the working area, click on the Edit document button and a new tab will open press CTRL+A  to select all of the objects and you will see the image in the black area off the screen, drag this into the white area and then close the tab and the eps object will now be visible in the placed area.

I make this from the start. Make duplicate and adjust several brushes for my purposes, BUT the custom curve adjustment for DIRECTION controller is not saving. All other numerical adjustments are ok - but this adjustment is not keeping and resetting after Affinity Photo restarting. I cant make a screenshot of this curve - you see it in right part of DIRECTION controller in first message 2nd screenshot.

Now about EPS - it is not outside or offset the working area. Look to attached screenshot. The imported/placed EPS is on top - and still i see just working boundaries. I am familiar with Photoshop since CS3, but here i cant figure out - what is wrong. EPS file attached in first message.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Just to clarify, 1.xx updates are free for owners of any 1.xx version, but 2.xx will be a separate purchase. Version 1 won't stop working when version 2 is released, so you won't be forced to upgrade if you don't need or want the new features.

Alfred, thanks for clarifying :)

Скриншот 2017-11-29 17.04.20.png

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

Guys, can you check my EPS file - maybe it somehow wrong importing in this build of Affinity Photo 1.6.1.93?

5 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

Guys, can you check my EPS file - maybe it somehow wrong importing in this build of Affinity Photo 1.6.1.93?

When I open your Milk in the bottle.eps file directly in Affinity Photo, it opens as a "(Layer)" parent layer with a single "(Curves)" child layer (note the plural). The transform panel shows this as its pixel coordinates:

5a21462936d38_Xfrompanel.png.d51a1f829fd2d59410d5a24c72fc07c9.png

Note the very large negative Y value, which indicates that it is in fact well outside the working area. If you select either the "(Layer)" parent layer or (recommended) "(Curves)" child layer with the move tool & in the Transform panel set both the X & Y coordinates to zero, it will be moved into the working area. Do that, select the "(Curves)" child layer & switch to the Node tool & you should see something like this:

nodes.png.ac615edf1acb45c8f1bfe056686803a5.png

All the red nodes indicate that the "(Curves)" layer consists of many individual shapes, in this case 140 separate curves, which you could break apart into individual curves layers with the "Divide" Geometry operation. You probably don't want to do that because all the inner curves like in the loops will become black-filled curves like this:

filled.png.4af733f38071b8c8a60eb9b50d763a45.png 

Anyway, if you place the eps file in an existing AP document you will get (as your screenshot shows) an "(Embedded document)" layer with the same parent/child structure, although the placed size & location will vary depending on how you placed it (single click or click & drag). However, the same offset outside the working area issue will be a problem, & that can be corrected in the same way by editing the embedded document & changing the X & Y coordinates to somewhere inside the working area.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R

Thanks a lot :) I finally catch how to solve this bug. And was able to correct it. I check this EPS both in Corel X7 and PS CS5.1 - there were no any issues with it. This EPS file imports flowless in both - Corel and PS. But why it happens in AP ?

Скриншот 2017-12-01 15.52.06.png

I could be wrong, I don't think this is a bug per se, rather just that AP (& AD) don't make any assumptions about where an eps file should be placed in the document working area. I believe this has something to do with relative or absolute coordinates in EPS files but I don't know enough about that to say what that might be.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about that will post something more helpful ....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Anyway it solvable at this moment :) but better to fix it in future builds. Can you clarify this issue - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/51209-ap-not-saving-custom-curves/

Sorry, I don't know much about creating or saving custom brushed, much less controller curves for them.

Affinity Photo