Hello,

I've been floating on the forums for a few weeks. This is my virgin post.

I am trying to make an ink stain similar to the one pictured below. I have both AP and AD, but I prefer the element to be vector. I am hoping for either a tutorial or your suggestions for how to make something similar in AD. I do not want to just trace this one.

I'm so stumped. :) Any help will be so appreciated!

8211a1d5561909a7d4931e70d52f57c3.jpg

Cheers

cealcrest.deviantart.com

You could place that image and lock it. Draw a circle the mean size, place that circle on top, convert that to curves, then add nodes where needed and pull the outline out, adjust the handles to make it similar to the image.

Or, do a Google search for the same that is already vector. Like this one...

https://www.vecteezy.com/vector-art/121153-wine-stain-vector

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks, everyone!

@Scungio That's what I was looking for! Thank you for the customized tutorial :) I need to get more into the pencil tool. I tend to stick with the Pen tool and Booleans, but I can see how the Pencil tool could be really helpful. Thanks again!

Cheers

cealcrest.deviantart.com

I thought about this.

• If you have a Tablet (I've got the Wacom Bamboo Create), use the brush tool to make the flow of the ink.
  • Expand the Strokes.
  • Used the Add operation to make just one shape (be careful not to try adding all the shapes at once or you might end with some weird results).
  • Then tweak as deemed necessary.

Ink_Stain.png

With this you can have the ink stain in few minutes.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Thanks, @Mithferion! I did try that, (I have the new Huion 1060) but I made the mistake of adding them all at once and, like you said, the result was really weird. I wish there was some type of merge all/add all for vectors that would honor the current visible shape, but I don't know anything at all about programming and how difficult that might be. Ah well.  I did then add them one at a time and the result worked well. Thanks again!

Cheers

cealcrest.deviantart.com

5 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

Thanks, @Mithferion! I did try that, (I have the new Huion 1060) but I made the mistake of adding them all at once and, like you said, the result was really weird. I wish there was some type of merge all/add all for vectors that would honor the current visible shape, but I don't know anything at all about programming and how difficult that might be. Ah well.  I did then add them one at a time and the result worked well. Thanks again!

I got the trick. Follow these steps:

1. Make your lines using the Vector Brush Tool.
  2. Expand the strokes.
  3. Select all Nodes of all the shapes/curves using the Node Tool.
  4. Convert them to Smart or Smooth nodes.
  5. Now you can Add them all at once.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations