You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I've been floating on the forums for a few weeks. This is my virgin post.

I am trying to make an ink stain similar to the one pictured below. I have both AP and AD, but I prefer the element to be vector. I am hoping for either a tutorial or your suggestions for how to make something similar in AD. I do not want to just trace this one.

I'm so stumped. :) Any help will be so appreciated!

8211a1d5561909a7d4931e70d52f57c3.jpg

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

You could place that image and lock it. Draw a circle the mean size, place that circle on top, convert that to curves, then add nodes where needed and pull the outline out, adjust the handles to make it similar to the image.

Or, do a Google search for the same that is already vector. Like this one...

https://www.vecteezy.com/vector-art/121153-wine-stain-vector

Thanks, everyone!

@Scungio That's what I was looking for! Thank you for the customized tutorial :) I need to get more into the pencil tool. I tend to stick with the Pen tool and Booleans, but I can see how the Pencil tool could be really helpful. Thanks again!

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

I thought about this.

• If you have a Tablet (I've got the Wacom Bamboo Create), use the brush tool to make the flow of the ink.
  • Expand the Strokes.
  • Used the Add operation to make just one shape (be careful not to try adding all the shapes at once or you might end with some weird results).
  • Then tweak as deemed necessary.

Ink_Stain.png

With this you can have the ink stain in few minutes.

Best regards!

Thanks, @Mithferion! I did try that, (I have the new Huion 1060) but I made the mistake of adding them all at once and, like you said, the result was really weird. I wish there was some type of merge all/add all for vectors that would honor the current visible shape, but I don't know anything at all about programming and how difficult that might be. Ah well.  I did then add them one at a time and the result worked well. Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

Thanks, @Mithferion! I did try that, (I have the new Huion 1060) but I made the mistake of adding them all at once and, like you said, the result was really weird. I wish there was some type of merge all/add all for vectors that would honor the current visible shape, but I don't know anything at all about programming and how difficult that might be. Ah well.  I did then add them one at a time and the result worked well. Thanks again!

I got the trick. Follow these steps:

1. Make your lines using the Vector Brush Tool.
  2. Expand the strokes.
  3. Select all Nodes of all the shapes/curves using the Node Tool.
  4. Convert them to Smart or Smooth nodes.
  5. Now you can Add them all at once.

Best regards!

Nice! I'll add that to my cheat sheet :)